2019-20 Schedule

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by NCJon, Apr 5, 2019.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,550
    Agree, I could see 10-3 being semi-realistic. Purdue, at Ole Miss and at Baylor will be difficult. We also don't know who we'll play in Kansas City, but the comptition will be difficult. Go get the boys ready this summer LJ!

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,143
    That late November to mid December stretch :oops:

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,809
    9-4 or 8-5

bumba and jkcdawgs like this.
  4. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $797
    Nine wins in the non-con would be great. This schedule is ridiculous.

Bulldogs260 likes this.
  5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,550
    This is where we will see what the upperclassmen are made of.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,704
    One would probably need to go back to the 60s to find a more challenging non-conference schedule. It will give BU an opportunity to make some noise though.

7. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $293
    Looks like about .500

8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,212
    Wanna bet...

fdr, bwesson15, DawgsMD and 5 others like this.
  9. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,341
    That Wofford game has me more anxious than I anticipated from any of the buy games. They certainly lost a lot to graduation and one transfer with the coach, and I don't think anyone expects them to be as good as last year, but they're still bringing back a lot of quality and they won't be intimidated by playing at Hinkle/a Big East team after the season they just had.

An interesting side note: Wofford's new coach was one of Holtmann's assistants at Gardner-Webb.

Anyway, I think 9-4 is realistically a best case scenario with this schedule. As I said before, 8-5 wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,072
    Yeah the Wofford addition raised my eyebrows as an "uh oh"...will be interesting to see how they look with their coaching change and losses. Still we can guarantee that will be a tough match up.

8-5 Non con would be outstanding. We would need to knock off Minnesota and one of the HOF games to get there. I'm counting Purdue, Florida, Baylor and one in KC as losses. Then Ole Miss and Minnesota as toss ups (1-1). What a brutal schedule. IF they were to come into BE play at 9-4 or 10-3, we would all be ecstatic and their SOS and computer rankings would be off the charts.

Bulldogs260 likes this.
  11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,143
    Wofford was really, really good this year. But they lost by far their two best players and their head coach. They're going to take a gigantic step back. They're not going to be awful, but they'd project at last in the Big East right now. It's not something to worry about. If we're not handling a team worse than DePaul at home this season, does anything really matter anyway?

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,143
    The target should be 9-4, and I think 8-5 is the most likely. But even if you only get to 8 wins, you aim for 9-9 in the Big East, and you're probably in the dance if you win a game at MSG (and probably out if you lose the first game).

It will be scary how critical the Minnesota game is right out of the gate. You really don't want to go to KC with a loss. If you can take care of Minnesota and the pre-KC buy games, you can go 1-1 in KC, and then get one more out of @ole miss, home florida, at Baylor, and neutral Purdue and hit your 9-4 target. But getting 1/4 of those is going to be a tall order.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,072
    I think 18 wins with that schedule is your goal/sure fire bid in the dance. 8-5 or 9-4 with that early gauntlet will put BU in position to do that with a .500 in conference record. If we're 9-4 and go 9-9, we're in I'd think regardless. If we're 8-5 and 9-9...probably need a BET win. Just get to that 18 number is all I'm asking.

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,143
    Here are the Bart Torvik projections for each opponent:

Sat., Oct. 26 – IU-Kokomo (Exhibition // Homecoming Weekend at Butler) (N/A)
    Fri., Nov. 1 – University of Indianapolis (Exhibition) (N/A)
    Wed., Nov. 6 – IUPUI (261)
    Sat., Nov. 9 – New Orleans (Family Weekend at Butler) (251)
    Tues., Nov. 12 – Minnesota (Gavitt Tipoff Games) (74)
    Sat., Nov. 16 – Wofford (Hall of Fame Classic – on-campus game) (158)
    Fri., Nov. 22 – Morehead State (Hall of Fame Classic – on-campus game) (286)
    Mon., Nov. 25 – vs. TBA (Hall of Fame Classic; Kansas City, Mo.) (Mizzou - 12; Oklahoma - 28; Standord - 105)
    Tues., Nov. 26 – vs. TBA (Hall of Fame Classic; Kansas City, Mo.) (Mizzou - 12; Oklahoma - 28; Standord - 105)
    Tues., Dec. 3 – at Ole Miss (66)
    Sat., Dec. 7 – Florida (7)
    Tues., Dec. 10 – at Baylor (BIG EAST-Big 12 Series) (14)
    Sat., Dec. 14 – Southern (353 - projected to be the very worst team in D-1)
    Sat., Dec. 21 – vs. Purdue (Crossroads Classic; Bankers Life Fieldhouse; Indianapolis, Ind.) (4)
    Sat., Dec. 28 – Louisiana-Monroe (309)

The good news is that the buy game teams are just utterly awful. The bad news is that Butler plays at Baylor just 3 days after playing Florida at home, and right before finals. That is pretty much as close to a guaranteed loss as you'll find on a Butler schedule.

15. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,072
    What is our Torvik projection?

I'm guessing high 40s to low 50s?

16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,143
    Currently 59. It bounces around a bit as players transfer/announce they're coming back/staying in draft. It was 53 last week.

We're projected at 9-9 in Big East, 8-5 in non-con. If we overachieve just a bit/improve slightly more than forecast, we dance. If we underachieve a bit, it's basically this past season repeated.

17. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $293
  18. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $539
  19. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,072
    Not even in his "15 others"...oy. We got a lot of work to do. BE will be dynamite.

20. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,341
    Katz is obviously wrong. No Missouri in the 51 teams he mentioned.