2019 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by bumba, Mar 5, 2019.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,856
    Or a bidding war for Argenal?

2. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,076
    Kind of thought he might be looking to move on with the Martin twins & Jordan Caroline all being seniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $94
    44 coaches have lost or left a job. There are 11 openings left as of 11:34 am-Sunday , April 7.

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,386
    The sec is now almost completely loaded, top to bottom, with top tier, excellent coaches. Arkansas will be great with Muss AND he has time with the Griz, so has some Memphis ties where he may be able to outwit Penny on a few guys here and there, which Arkansas needs to do. What a home run hire for them. The sec is going to be probably a little meh next year with all the transfer fallout from coaching changes, but after that it'll be damn near top to bottom strong.

5. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,819
    Anyone hearing anything about a renewed UCLA Matt Painter rumor..................

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    mwall787 likes this.
  6. willisbrown

Money:
    $2,386
    I haven't heard anything but that would be interesting. Saying that, I think they may be waiting to pounce on Beard after tomorrow night-offer him close to what they did Cal and force him to turn it down. Not as much as cal but maybe 5 million or so.

7. BURph92

Money:
    $1,076
    Didn’t Chris Beard have a cup of coffee with UNLV between Ark-Little Rock & Texas Tech?

8. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,294
    19 days worth, to be exact.

9. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $425
    University of Buffalo promotes former Loyola-Chicago coach Jim Whitesell to Head Coach

10. BURph92

Money:
    $1,076
    Seems like Whitesell had a few decent seasons at Loyola-Chicago. I recall Butler always seemed to struggle guarding one of his players, Blake Schilb.

cornette33 likes this.
  11. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,851
    cornette33 likes this.
  12. BURph92

Money:
    $1,076
    Buffalo had a nice run with Bobby Hurley & Nate Oats the past few years. Now they’ve lost their coach, a ton of seniors to graduation, & their entire recruiting class.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $2,386
    Rick Barnes name is now popping up for UCLA. I gotta think this is a Cal copycat play to squeeze more out of Tennessee (squeeze, orange, yeah yeah haha). He'd be an ok hire, not flashy but gets talent and wins at a decent clip. Won't get them back to the promise land though.

14. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $964
    Why not bring back Larry Farmer?

15. willisbrown

Money:
    $2,386
    And it looks like Wofford's Mike Young is headed to Blacksburg. I will be interested to see how he recruits and performs in the ACC.

16. dippper61

dippper61 Member

Money:
    $116
    Too bad we didn’t make it 45

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Baddog likes this.
  17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,856
  18. willisbrown

Money:
    $2,386
    His buyout is about 5ish million I think. They wouldn't pay Dixon's, but it seems they'll pay his. Word is if it's on the table he'll take it.

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $2,386
    It may be the right play for Barnes. He could have a rather rebuilding (relative to where they've been) year next year. His stock is high right now, one last gig before he retires. Seems he's back in Knoxville meeting with officials there and that if UCLA makes the offer, he'll accept and they'll pay the buyout.

As far as TN...I would think they'd target McMahon.

20. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,851
    I dunno. His wife's a UT grad. He grew up in Hickory. This past season was enough to earn him some serious goodwill.

I just wonder if he's not angling for a raise. Even if UT can't match UCLA - and I'm not sure, frankly why they couldn't - dollar for dollar, there are some serious intangibles in Knoxville.

I really dislike the man, so seeing him in Westwood would be fine by me. But he seems to have a pretty ideal situation now for someone in his mid 60s.