2019 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by bumba, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,648
    Why do you dislike him?

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,711
    See, I agree with all of that and that UT dollar for dollar is basically twice the pay and it is close to home and he's been very successful and is wanted and loved there. Granted, UCLA is still a "name" but he's got it made where he is.

But since late last night indications are this thing is serious and he will take the offer if they'll put up for the buyout. Could be nothing talk but it seems to have a lot of smoke at this point. It may be some end point or dream job to him...gotta be something because I'd be pretty content and happy considering everything where I am.

NCJon likes this.
  3. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Doesn't really seem like a 'UCLA' guy, but at this point, he's probably the best option.

4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    It mostly goes back to his Clemson days. His teams were physical, which I appreciated, but also routinely seemed to cross the line from being physical to just taking cheap shots. They were certainly taking their cues from him.

He's mellowed a bit and I think gotten better at coaching physicality with restraint. At least that's been my perception of his Tennessee teams the few times I have watched them.

5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Ego can be a powerful thing. Maybe he's always wanted one of the marquee jobs in the sport, I don't know. Most of his career has been in the shadow of the football team.

He's old enough that he doesn't have to worry about the next job if the wolves are out in four or five years because he hasn't made a Final Four.

The PAC 12 is really weak right now, and the SEC IMis strong and getting stronger. Heck, as I type this out I'm starting to see the benefits of making the move ...

6. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,778
    How embarrassing for UCLA.

bumba likes this.
  7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,648
    UCLA seems to be a dead end job.

BUcheer likes this.
  8. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,711
    Man, he flipped it on them. Ouch. UCLA is just firing blanks right now.

I go hard after Beard and Pearl, offer them both 5/30m and see which ones turns it down. If that fails, hire Walton once the Lakers fire him. Watson as his second in command.

NCJon and znelson15 like this.
  9. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Sounds to me like it was a negotiating ploy by his agent for more cash (and smartly so).

UCLA is like the IU job of the west coast. Fans still think they're a blue blood, and they have unrealistic expectations. That's not to say they can't be, but right now? Ehhhhh........

znelson15 likes this.
  10. znelson15

znelson15 Active Member

Money:
    $364
    I really think they go hard after Beard
    Does he take it, I think yes just cause it’s UCLA and he is working his way up.
    But who knows Texas tech has a great identity now and seems to be moving toward being a solid program for years to come

11. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $513
    Team Holtmann is probably sending out feelers to the UCLA peeps...

willisbrown likes this.
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,039
    Coaches aren’t stupid. 5 million/year in LA is not a raise over 3 million/year in Knoxville. If you’re having success at the highest level,why would you leave your job unless it’s for more money?

UCLA is likely going to have to find a woefully underpaid high major coach or just go the mid major route.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

EagleIan likes this.
  13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,039
    No chance. Ohio State is a better job even without the incumbency factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    BoyGeoff likes this.
  14. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,711
    And Texas Tech has tons of money, plus living there is leaps and bounds less expensive than LA. It's a matter of prestige and ego I would guess (which he seems to have none when it comes to ego). TT can probably come close to matching if not matching UCLA. Saying that, if he wants to take that next step and try to reestablish UCLA as a national power, here's his shot, and I do think they push hard for he or Pearl. The Cronin talk has resurfaced as well.

15. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,885
    I am going to go way out on a limb and predict UCLA ultimately hires Mike Brey.

16. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    Bring back Larry Farmer!

17. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $724
    For what it's worth, when Bruce was at Southern Indiana, he used to say he had two dream jobs. One was IU and the other was UCLA.

18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    He also sold some ice to Eskimos, cars to the Amish, righty scissors to lefties, and convinced Kyrie Irving that the world is flat... ;)

19. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $724
    I don't believe the Kyrie Irving thing is correct . . .

20. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    lol was just trying to find the most crazy things off the top of my head yes i know that one he didn't do lol