2019 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by bumba, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $738
    I have absolutely no inside information on the Kansas situation, and maybe Bill Self is, indeed, going to sneak out of Lawrence just ahead of the NCAA hammer, but unless Self is brain dead, I can't see him going to the Bulls.

Edit: I still think it's unlikely, but I suppose it's possible if the Bulls win the Zion Sweepstakes.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,686
    0-18 in conference play, and 0-1 in conference tourney. Yes, 0-19 this year in conference. And a 20 game losing streak.

What's amazing is that Butler is 16-16 and an NIT birth, and people are losing their minds about firing Jordan.

3. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,124
    Apparently the Vanderbilt AD is only a couple of months into the job. I just read a Tennessean column basically saying that he doesn't have the clout, political capital to burn up buyout money, yet.

I thought that was interesting, since you often see new ADs getting a little more leeway to make a change when the previous regime's coach isn't working out.

I like Drew. I hope he gets it turned around quickly.

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,746
    That is interesting. I suppose the dynamic is different at a school like Vandy versus the average Power 5 school in terms of the AD's power/discretion to spend. Vandy isn't Vandy because of its athletics, so the tail doesn't wag the dog.

5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,087
  6. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,304
    Is Tim Miles out for sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,426
  8. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,099
    For an educational institution, they sure could have gone for proofreading that release before issuing it.

9. NCJon

Money:
    $6,124
    Hard to imagine St. Joseph's without Martelli.

UDDawg likes this.
  10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,553

Boston College holding out hope lol, keeping Christian.

11. NCJon

Money:
    $6,124
    That is a surprise. To be fair he took over an absolute dumpster fire and had done a lot to get them heading back in the right direction, including an NIT appearance last year. But this was supposed to be the season they turned a corner and they regressed.

12. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,304
    Agree. I remember how good their 2003-04 team was led by Jameer Nelson & Delonte West going undefeated in the regular season, losing to X in the A-10 tourney, & making it to the Elite 8 before losing to OK St.

13. NCJon

Money:
    $6,124
    William & Mary's firing of Tony Shaver just keeps looking worse and worse in retrospect. All-CAA freshman guard Chase Audige is the second starter to announce he's leaving and it sounds like two more starters - potential grad transfer Matt Milon and junior Nathan Knight - are considering it.

They had the core of a team coming back that had the potential to finally breakthrough and get W&M into the dance. Even with just the two transfers - Audige and Pierce - this will become a massive rebuild.

Just would have made so much sense to give it one more year, when there was likely a rebuild coming in 20-21 anyway. But now they'll be digging put of a crater instead of a hole.

14. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $124
    Phil Martelli worked at St. Joe's for 34 years-24 as head coach. Had 3 crappy years in a row then drew the short straw. Fran Dunphy, a legend in Philly, was eased out more gracefully: Temple appointed Aaron McKie as "the coach in waiting" last year, on second thought that's not too graceful. Martello at 64 would still like to stay in coaching.

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,553
  16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,411
    One, that's ridiculous. Two, it's ridiculous because he had a better year in a tougher conference with a good recruiting class coming in...and bama is proactive. We on the other hand, got progressively worse, lost damn near every game, finished last place and under .500 in a meh conference, yet we do nothing. Not even a shake up. Unreal. I hope y'all like the toilet.

As far as Avery replacements, top of my prediction list is Shaka if Texas does let him go. They'll kick the tires on Sampson I would guess. Maybe Mike Davis. I could also see them sniffing around McMahon or Stansbury.

17. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $6,087
    Johnson was in his 4th year at Bama and has one NCAA tournament win and 3 NIT appearances. So it's a little different than LaVall. LaVall could have two more years like this and still match Johnson's resume after 4 years. And if that's the case, then Butler will probably be as proactive as Bama and fire its coach after 4 seasons.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    halftime_floor_sweeper and NCJon like this.
  18. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $6,087
    Bryce Drew is out at Vandy.

19. NCJon

Money:
    $6,124
    The cognitive dissonance in calling for LJ to be let go while simultaneously claiming that Bama's firing of Avery Johnson is "ridiculous" is quite impressive.

20. NCJon

Money:
    $6,124
    ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.