2019 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by bumba, Mar 5, 2019.

1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    He called Bryce Drew a good coach on this thread.

You're thinking of the Scott Drew discussion that occurred over on one of the LaVall-is-terrible threads.

estar20dawg likes this.
  2. NCJon

Money:
    $6,277
    I love Ed Cooley. I'd be mad as hell if I was a Providence fan and they let him go, which they won't.

3. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,781
    Can we all agree to use a first initial when discussing those that have the same surname? Getting confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg likes this.
  4. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $513
    Who's on First.jpg

5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    It's probably pointless to worry about the Drew's anyway. Alum or not, I can't see Scott ever coaching at Butler. And considering Barry said LaVall's job is 100% safe right now, I'd assume that means he at least gets two more years. By then Bryce will have landed somewhere else.

6. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,237
  7. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    Supposedly they want Jason Kidd.

8. NCJon

Money:
    $6,277
    That was already a terrible job. Firing the guy two years in? Not sure it makes it anymore attractive.

Cal can't afford Kidd, unless he gives them a serious alma mater discount.

9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,476

Thad to Bama?

10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    I'd throw the sink at Sampson and make a push for McMahon. I can't see Beard leaving.

11. znelson15

znelson15 Active Member

Money:
    $364
    I’d say there is a good chance the coach up here for the Montana Grizzlies goes to Cal
    Had an amazing two year run up here and back to back tourney appearances and was an assistant there before coming up here
    One of the most intense and motivating coaches I have ever seen and been around
    Always fired up

DawgPoundMac and willisbrown like this.
  12. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,739
    Interesting thing I learned today on Outkick...Pearl is in the bottom tier of coaches pay wise in the sec, and his staff ranks 13th out 14 in the league. You wonder if a big job like UCLA or Zona would come calling for him, dangling big dollars to lure him away from the south. That's a road I'd sniff if my pockets were loaded at least.

13. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    What Outkick did not talk about was fact that Pearl brings a lot baggage with him. UCLA and Zona do not need that now especially Zona.

ButlerProf and bobbu64 like this.
  14. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,739
    Tis true. I wonder how much of that is still sticking to him in the eyes of the major basketball players across the NCAA landscape. The coaching talent and recruiting is top notch...but yeah tarnished rep.

15. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $918
    I think Beard is in the position now where he could wait out until a really good job opens up. You obviously run the risk of some down years at Texas Tech but if you use another program as an "attempted" stepping stone to a true blue blood, you could get exposed. If I were him, I would stay at Tech and wait until a few years to see if any of the old timers retire.

As for a power conference program with money to throw around and middling (or worse) success, my top target would be Kelvin Sampson or Mick Cronin. If those aren't viable options, I'm looking at Nate Oats (Buffalo), Mike Young (Wofford), Matt McMahon (Murray St), or Wes Miller (UNCG).

Hinkle likes this.
  16. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $116
    Well said, Red 1972. He past is really spotty.

ButlerProf likes this.
  17. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $817
    You've gotta think Dawkins' stock is pretty high, right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    I think he might stay at UCF until Coach K retires. UCF has a ton of money. Good location, nice campus, his son plays for him, he's got name recognition and credibility recruiting, easy conference to continually get to the NCAA's now. UCF has money to extend and pay him nicely. The pressure right now would be almost zero, he could have a couple down seasons without worrying but you step into a Zona or UCLA you better win right out of the gate.

Hinkle likes this.
  19. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Beard would be my target if I were UCLA.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,476