2019 NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by ButlerNut, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,921
    Hot take (I guess): the refs ultimately got the final minute of the Auburn UVA game right.

It was absolutely a foul by rule on the three. Don’t like it? Take it up with the rules committee, not the refs. It took serious guts to make that correct call. That ref should be commended.

It WAS a double dribble. But here’s what no one talks about: Auburn was TRYING to foul as he lost the ball and DID foul as he lost the ball. The guy got swatted across the chest as he lost control and before the double dribble violation was committed. That should’ve been called. It wasn’t. It all worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $196
    The baseline ref was in perfect position, was watching closely and called the foul correctly on Guy’s 3.
    The original camera angle did not show the arm brushing across Jerome’s chest and jersey. In replay it seemed like a play on brush. I initially thought it was the reason Jerome lost the ball. It was not. So, I think it was a double dribble and missed call, but can see how in real time, it was missed. Not sure if that was a reviewable play. Since the clock stopped with the foul, I presume it was not.
    Seems that fate is with VA this tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,203
    For some odd reason my friends think that UVA losing to a 16 seed last year makes them deserving of winning these games.

I think that I don't know how it happened, but there's a horseshoe so deeeeeep up Tony Bennett's a$$ it's unfindable...

[​IMG]

DawgsMD likes this.
  4. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,258
    There was also a travel on Auburn in the final minute too that was missed

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,921
    In a situation where a team is *trying* to foul, when a player puts his hand and arm on the guy’s chest, it’s the easiest correct foul call in the world to make. The ref just missed it. Neither is reviewable, but they cancel out and the end result is correct. (In fact, I’d argue if anything Virginia got screwed because a couple seconds came off that shouldn’t have come off.)

6. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Yeah, I don't the missed double dribble was that big of a deal. He Auburn player grabbed his jersey right before that, and even so, it wasn't a blatantly obvious call. I'm willing to bet most basketball observers didn't even see it live, and it was only after CBS' officiating expert came on, that most people knew about it.

As Pearl said, they had other opportunities to win that game.

Guy also got fouled on the final shot. The Auburn player clearly went from point A to point B and went into him, hitting his side, and he also didn't give Guy anywhere to land. You can't undercut a shooter either.

BUcheer likes this.
  7. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,491
    Texas Tech is a throw back team. Nice to see coaches like a Chris Beard (and Tony Bennett for that matter) put his mark on the team and make the total better than the individual parts. Starts with discipline play and toughness. Shouldn't be much of a revelation that coaches do have a major impact, either positive or negative, on the performance of the team, regardless of the level of talent. Remember, TT does have somewhat of a patchwork roster and now they are playing for the national championship. Not a bunch of one and done or all 5's and 4's either. Just great coaching.

Motion offense and help man to man defense, protecting the paint at all costs (collapsing, and not chasing your man out beyond the 3 point line....especially if you're 6-10 or 6-11 with slow recovery), gang rebounding, and putting pressure on the ball and the passing lanes, all straight out of the Bob Knight (still an a-hole) playbook. Impossible to spread the TT defense because they don't bite. And yes, ANYONE can play that style. Particularly teams that don't possess great athletes who can't guard one on one. Great to see everyone moving on offense and not standing around watching one player endlessly dribble the ball. Raftery and Hill weren't shy criticizing "hero ball" the few times a kid made a stupid play out of character for the offensive scheme, in both games. Let's hope someone over on 49th Street took a business marketing course and will remember.....sometimes it's better to imitate rather than innovate. Times have changed, but it still ain't brain surgery.

Bernie44 likes this.
  8. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,687
    Can we all agree the BE refs missed a lot of calls but actually got it right on potentially the biggest play of the tournament.

bumba and Hinkle like this.
  9. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,680
    I thought it was ironic that the same guy that called the Seton Hall vs St John and the Marquette vs SH BET debacles was right there in the mix of another controversial ending. (Although I do think he got his part of it right this time.) At least O'Connell wasn't out there inserting himself in the end game making calls he let go for the rest of it.

bumba and estar20dawg like this.
  10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I will say that I agree Texas Tech is disciplined and SO tough, but what really makes them tick (imo) is scouting, communication and executing the game plan. (Maybe synonymous with discipline)

They handle all actions that are supposed to be tough to difficult to handle with ease. They do switch a ton which helps (and also something complained about when we did), but they’re rotation to the ball almost even before the pass happens. It’s also not that they don’t make mistakes, it’s that they’re intelligent enough on that end to recognize it and react.

It’s super impressive to watch and clearly indicative of a phenomenal coach.

UVA is much more talented imo and also has a phenomenal coach (though idk I’m taking anyone over Beard Rn) but watching Texas Tech is really something to behold.

11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    Will tonight’s national championship game rival ours against UConn as the most boring?

bumba likes this.
  12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255
    It wouldn't surprise me if Texas Tech might push the pace & move Virginia out of their comfort zone. I hope anyway.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,472
    I’m not sure anyone can push Virginia to be anything more than paint drying.

14. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,967
    Hopefully they shoot better than we did that night. We might have won had we shot just 5% better that night.

15. kmacker69

Money:
    $3,680
    TT looks to be playing the role of Butler in 2011...

16. kmacker69

Money:
    $3,680
    Or not!

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,472
    Point guard for Virginia won’t shoot. Why bother guarding him in the perimeter?

18. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,319
    Well this just got interesting.

All the money was pouring in on the under until the last hour or so before tip. These two teams blew that number away. Pretty good championship game.

DawgsMD, DawgPoundMac and MIBulldog like this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,472
    The difference in talent of Virginia and Texas Tech versus Butler is enormous.

znelson15 likes this.
  20. bu2013

bu2013 Active Member

Money:
    $220
    You drunk and depressed tonight?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Butler Hoops mobile app