2019 Transfer Candidates

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by estar20dawg, Jul 23, 2018.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,108
    Yeah I was just messaging with someone...this is a race between Holtmann, Buzz and us. And we better be all over this like flies on ****.

2. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,527
    Bryce Moore is taking official visits to Xavier and Creighton.

3. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,289
  4. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,845
  5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,346
    No. And since he has two years of eligibility remaining, he should be able to complete a master's degree.

The idea is just to create a system that ensures the grad transfers are actually working toward a graduate degree. The rule is imperfect, but should accomplish it.

My biggest issue with it is that a lot of masters degrees are two year programs, so they may end up forcing a player to limit which grad programs on campus he can do to the one year programs, if they exist at that school.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,837
    Interesting subject. On one hand the NCAA wants to control and hinder kids that go to school and graduate early yet look the other way on one and done both in academics and recruiting. Then again both undergraduate and graduate degrees used to be rigorous - but six hours a semester? Interdisciplinary curriculum? Sports management?

7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,559
  8. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,078
    I’m torn on the subject. On one hand I understand and completely support trying to get rid of kids using a grad transfer opportunity as an excuse to change schools without sitting out when they have no intent on actually getting a graduate degree. I do see a problem there. But there are some issues I see that could potentially pop up that they need to make sure doesn’t happen. The biggest one I have is that if a scholarship gets docked for a kid not completing a degree, the only person you are punishing is the kid at the bottom of the roster who gets “Creaned” the next year. It doesn’t hurt the player that abused the rule or the program that took him.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgsMD and kmacker69 like this.
  9. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $474
    Wouldn't a redshirt senior that did not transfer be pursuing a graduate degree too? Shouldn't we be just as concerned about those players only sticking around to play one more year and not really going for their graduate degree?

Or maybe this is only about the NCAA controlling players and NCAA profits.

Regardless, I agree with you Jared that the person that will get penalized is the kid at the end of the bench.

10. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,078
    Well, there’s a difference between using it to play, and using it to get around the rule that requires transfers to sit out a year. It’s basically become NCAA free agency. Honestly though, if it were a viable option I would support getting rid of all players of any class who have zero interest in actually obtaining a college degree, but there is simply no way of doing this. You can’t know for sure who these players are until after they are already done with their careers and then stop going to class.

knobcreekfan likes this.
  11. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
  12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,837
    How about requiring students to take a minimum of 12 hours a semester or equivalent and having mid term attendance and grades to keep eligibility?

knobcreekfan and bumba like this.
  13. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,346
    Nine hours is generally considered to be full time graduate work. The classes tend to be a little more difficult. There usually aren't midterms. But whatever ...

14. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,775
    Think he was referencing the one and done players specifically with that one, but to make it cove the grad transfers also.

15. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,108
    UNC in on Keeling. Ugh, was hoping they'd stay on the sideline.

16. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,289
    Ppl realize the one and done rule is an NBA rule, not the NCAA's? Plus, it will be abolished once the CBA is restructured for 2022... The NCAA has enough sample size to conclude that the grad transfer rule is being abused. I think the Butler fan base would be pretty furious w the rule if we were still in the Ho or A-10 League and our best players would transfer every year to play in a major conference. It's certainly going to be interesting to see how this new rule is going to curtail the grad transfer market and how it will affect such coaches like Musselman and Hoiberg, who have built programs around transfers, but lastly

It's a real shame that this new rule might force kids that want to grad transfer to enroll in an unpreferred, one-year graduate degree programs to get a free masters degree

17. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
    We need to land and stretch big I think. Keith stone from Florida we should be all over. Ballard from Florida too

dippper61 and willisbrown like this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,837
    Doesn’t matter who made the rule the point Im making is the NCAA plays along with it by not requiring these kids to even make it look like they are even getting one year of college. Do you think most even go to classes in the second semester?

19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,985
  20. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $483

Yes please. Looks like he can dribble, pass and shoot the 3 well...