2019 Transfer Candidates

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by estar20dawg, Jul 23, 2018.

1. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $225
    Think we need an immediate eligible big. We also need an immediate guard 1,2 or combo that can shoot the ball. So that is a transfer. I am not sure why it makes sense to protect minutes at the guard position when demonstrated shooting skill is below average.
    Only two solid 3 point shooters in McD and Tucker. Not enough. Everyone else is low 30's and then Battle as a Freshman. Add to that the unknown shooting skills in Nze, Golden, Hastings. We need another elite shooter. IMO.

As far as rotation goes, seems that Val was constantly searching for something via substitutions, be that shooting, defense, energy or whatever. I lay that 100% on him. I'm fine with playing 8. Watching the tournament teams and clearly the final four teams, their head coaches set the vision for defense first. The players mindset's reflect the coach. Auburn had success with 10. Playing 10 added no value for Butler this season. I believe our 10 were not committed to a coaches' vision and mindset to leave it all on the floor defensively. So in that regard, we did not need more bodies playing. Coach sets that bar.

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,837
    We used to be concerned with limited depth now we have too much depth. To me this past season the depth was too interchangeable. Fowler for Brunk for Golden was a wash as was David/Baddley for McD and Tucker. PJ for AT changed the game dynamics somewhat but not PJ for KB. LJ was almost forced to play that many for morale purposes.

We could be faced with a similar situation this coming season with depth by adding Nze, Battle, Hastings and maybe Mulloy. I think LJ has to be real careful with who we bring in. That player better be damn good otherwise you are just adding another interchangeable body.

3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,559
    If we get a decent big, I'd like to see them pocket the other scholie for somebody damn good. There's usually somebody like Tucker who transfers at the semester break and we could save for that worse case scenario.

I also agree that there's a lot of similar talent levels on the roster. This is where LJ needs to prove he can develop players in the offseason. I saw no jump from PJ or Fowler last summer to fall. If the same thing happens with AT's offense or Tucker's defense, that's a noticeable coaching problem to me.

peeps112 and znelson15 like this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,108
    I want a scoring combo guard very badly. I also want a third opening so we can all get what we want. I said 2-3 tranfers all along, moved it to firmly 3, now I'm waffling a little because it's so quiet. I'm at about 2.4 right now. Hopefully the over hits.

5. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,108
    The top level guard market just got smaller, Kira Lewis removing his name from the transfer portal, going back to Bama to play for Oats. Which, for an Ole Miss fan, sucks. Oats is going to kill it at Bama. Buzz will at A&M and Muss will at Arkansas. Ole Miss has about one year or maybe two before those three programs are top level sec.

6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,559

Interesting read.

Hinkle Nation likes this.
  7. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Member

Money:
    $85
    Two grad transfers would be ideal. The team needs as much talent as possible. You get two essentially rental players for a year and then get two more scholarships open for 2020. That will allow LJ to have his first big class and build a team around his vision.

8. znelson15

znelson15 Active Member

Money:
    $364
    I don’t think we do personally
    I just looked at ESPN way to early top 25 and yeah it’s espn but I def haven’t been thinking about how good Marquette, nova, seton hall, Creighton, Georgetown are going to be and then add on how good Xavier was playing at the end of the year. We need talent ASAP and ready to play and compete

willisbrown and SpartanDawgs like this.
  9. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,108
    Depends on additions, but, even with a couple decent ones we're still way behind the curve compared to many other top 30-40 programs. It's going to be a tough sled, especially with that schedule.

10. schoops

schoops Active Member

Money:
    $842
    I guess I think a grad transfer guard that is immediately eligible isn't as important as some of the rest of you. We obviously, desperately need a big, but I think we could take a someone who has to sit out a year at the guard spot. Personally, I think McDermott could start at the 3, but play 5-10 minutes of sg a game as needed.

Staxawax likes this.
  11. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $295
    As of now, they are almost certainly going to get picked last. I don't know if that makes them desperate but it is what it is.

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    The Barttorvik T rank has them 8th (are there any other objective projections out right now?), about as close in the metrics to 1st as 10th. But yeah, "almost certainly" last.

fdr, PSUButlerFan, DawgsMD and 4 others like this.
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,108
    I think as things stand, 8ish sounds about right. I could be sold 7th or 9th. It will be bottom half, I can guarantee that with the roster as it is.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,527
    Not that 8th or 9th is that much better than 10th. But saying that, do people keep forgetting DePaul is in the Big East?

huss587 and Hinkle Nation like this.
  15. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,263
    Present roster like 10th to me, sadly.

cornette33 likes this.
  16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    9th? St. John's had one of the best players in the Big East and was still quite a bit worse than Butler per objective measures (how do you finish 88th in Kenpom with Ponds??). And he's gone.

Butler is pretty clearly 8th. 8th is still unacceptable, no doubt about it. But let's at least be accurate.

fdr, cornette33, huss587 and 3 others like this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    On an only slightly related note: remember when St. John's was "almost certainly" on the road to being a national power because they hired Mullin? Did you delete all those tweets yet?

fdr, PSUButlerFan, #60 and 9 others like this.
  18. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,108
    Yeah as things are, either Hastings is awesome or we're going to get a lot of minutes from David and/or some major minutes from Baddely. Let's hope Hastings is awesome.

The middle has issues and the guard play is non shooters. Maybe Battle changes that, but again, freshman. I'm as high as anyone on him but we know how that roller coaster goes. He'll be brilliant some nights and off the charts bad other nights. McD and Tucker can both get warm, but they'll end up having to play the 4 again, which will take them out of their best fit and wear them down physically as it did this year.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  19. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $483

Doesn't look like Butler is in the running or he just forgot to mention us. Either way, not good.

20. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,527
    Honestly, I’d say 7th or 8th. Just making a point, that we aren’t being projected 10th.

Also, find someone who looks at you the way some people on this board look at DePaul. I honestly don’t get it. Even in our worst year in a long time, we were better than them.

They finished with the same record as us, and lost to us by a combined 31 points this season. Yet, Butler is awful and DePaul was a solid team this year.

AND DePaul loses 3 of their best players, including one of the best players in the conference. Yet they are going to be better than Butler next year?

I just think it’s easier to see your own team’s blemishes sometimes.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019