2019 Transfer Candidates

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by estar20dawg, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,317
  2. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,251
    I think this is an important point. Hopefully it's just Tucker 'deciding.' But for some reason I think he lacks lateral quickness that is more than just effort.

bmradio99, nindiana and schoops like this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,155
    I rarely got the impression he wasn’t working hard on D and I’m not sold that he lacks the physical tools needed to be a plus defender. He generally seemed to be going pretty hard and he’s clearly an above average athlete for this level. But just like with Brunk, it seemed less like an effort or talent thing and more like a confused thing. Those two were observably lost regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,094
    Tucker has the tools to be an average to plus defender. Everything is there, he just has to lock in and stay straight on what he's doing. As noted, it never struck me too much as poor effort, just game/situation understanding and maybe things moving too quickly. A year in the system with a full conference slate in his back pocket, I trust he'll gain steam on that side of the ball.

Hinkle Nation likes this.
  5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,066
    Tucker has gone from most overrated player on the team to most underrated player in a few months. He’s going to get better and his scoring ability will be dynamic once he does. Much like Kelan Martin, his defensive rebounding ability alone will probably keep him from killing us on defense.

jeff, bmradio99, peeps112 and 12 others like this.
  6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I think Henry Baddley is in a somewhat similar situation though nowhere near the extreme that Tucker is.

I think a lot of people, myself included, expected a pretty big jump from Baddley. He was actually having a solid, but below (maybe unreasonable) expectation level season until Tucker became eligible and then somewhere shortly thereafter was largely forgotten about.

I think that was an overcorrection that ended up hurting us, but I think we’re unjustifiably writing him off as a guy who can’t help us when the likelihood is that he can be a nice bench piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
    Honestly though with tucker ready to go from the start next season, where will baddley fit in at? I just don’t think we can have him on the floor with AT at the same time and if your argument is baddley is a great defender I would argue David is just as good if not better. Id take David hasting tucker McDermott all over baddley. I’m not trying to take a shot at him it’s just the way I see it from a basketball standpoint. Plz don’t get me started on his jumpshot.

CarlosDanger likes this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,831
    I have no idea what a broken jump shot is anymore than what defines a lock down defender but the problem I see with AT’s jump shot is the way he holds or cradles the ball just before he releases it. He cradles the ball underneath versus on the side . Thus one hand is on top of the ball and the other is underneath which causes him to lose the ability to direct the ball cleanly as it is released.

WestLoopDog likes this.
  9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,554

This kid will probably get a lot of calls. Hope we're one of them.

10. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    I don’t see why we wouldn’t be able to play with AT. You may not like his jumpshot but if he gets an open 3 it’s a pretty good possession for us.

Additionally, he and David are very different types of defenders. David is not good on the perimeter and Baddley is pretty good on the ball there, and David is much better in the post.

11. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,339
  12. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,006
    Interesting. PG. Started a lot his first two yrs. Stats seem pretty decent. Jorgs lead recruiter? Ha!

13. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,339
    I mean...it’s a GW transfer...Butler is required to at least contact them lol

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
    When did I say “we wouldn’t be able to play with At” I’m a AT fan. Also if baddley is a good perimeter defender we are recruiting the wrong guys. His defense is average maybe a little above and has a terrible jumper. I’m hoping battle and hasting take his minuets

15. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,094
    Great, another GW transfer...just what we need. Especially one that can't play right away. I held out a glimmer of hope this staff could at least try and piece together a team with a couple open scholarships, but much like their coaching this all leaves a lot to be desired and the ship keeps sinking. Sigh. We had one chance to make this thing semi right, if this is what we are going after, watch out.

16. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Sorry it was supposed to be “he” not “we.”

And maybe we should be recruiting guys that defend better and I think that’s a valid thought But probably a whole different conversation than one about this coming years team.

I’m not going to argue whether his defense is “average” or “above average” since that won’t go anywhere, but I will say that he defends at least as well as anyone we put on the floor last year except for Thompson. I would like to see his jump shot look prettier too, but he’s shot 36% from 3 over the last two seasons and if he improves his slashing ability a little bit next season he is at minimum a viable offensive and defensive option even if he’s not truly a standout at either.

Hinkle Nation likes this.
  17. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,094
    He's had 3 years to improve his slashing ability, and all he does is travel or fumble the ball away. I would't be holding out hope on that.

Unless Battle is a complete dud, Baddely won't see much time. Tucker will be much improved and we all know the coach as a weird love affair with McD...so, yeah he'll be buried. And trust me, we want that to be the case, it means the others are actually doing their job.

18. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $158
    The difference is that Tucker and McD can light up the board on occasion. Baddley cannot. I think Battle comes in and is at least equal to Baddley.

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,094
    If Battle is equal or on the same level as Baddely, we're in worse trouble than even I think. Yikes.

dippper61 likes this.
  20. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $158
    My thought is that if he comes in equal to Baddley, in a way that is a win - a freshman able to contribute at the same level as a slightly below average Senior, who otherwise, would get playing time.