2019 Transfer Candidates

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by estar20dawg, Jul 23, 2018.

1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,348
    I don't know the Big East's rules on transfers, but schools can no longer place restrictions on individual transfer students as a part of getting a release the way they used to.

2. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,310
    Update: I am wrong apparently.

madeline18 and willisbrown like this.
  3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    It used to be conference level rules that prevented this, not schools “blocking” destinations. Don’t know if those rules are still in place though.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. NCJon

Money:
    $6,348
    Until last summer when the new rule went into effect, athletes who wanted to transfer had to request a release from their own head coach/athletic department. It was common practice for coaches to put stipulations on the release as to which schools an athlete could or could not speak to/transfer to. Those stipulations were often redundant with conference rules that in some cases made it impractical to transfer within conference and in other cases impossible (depending on the specific conference's rules).

The rule that went into effect last summer changes the process so that an athlete no longer has to request a release. Instead the athlete informs the athletic department and their name then gets put in the transfer portal. That shift removed the ability of coaches to play games with the release stipulations, which in some cases were ridiculous.

For example, Bo Ryan listed all Big Ten schools and all potential future nonconference opponents on Jared Uthoff's release. There were 25+ schools on the restricted list.

The Big Ten's rule, btw, requires a player transferring in conference to sit a year, lose a year, and pay his own way for that year. Uthoff ended up transferring to Iowa and doing exactly those things.

But it was because of crap like what Ryan did that the rule got changed for the better.

5. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,007
    No matter what you may think about the team or about what we are doing transfer wise, always remember that at least we aren't Nevada:

6. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    I’m just speaking to transfers within the conference. It was the conference’s who disallowed it (at least if you wanted to be on scholarship) and not the schools. The schools didn’t have to block schools within the conference because players couldn’t sign with them per conference protocol.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Member

Money:
    $186
    Honest question: what is the difference between Wabissa Bede and Aaron Thompson? Their size and stats are essentially the same thing. It just appears some are salivating over Bede but also complain about Thompson and say that Butler plays 4 on 5 on the offensive end because AT shoots 33% on 0.9 3pt shots a game. Bede shoots 35% on 1.9 3pt shots a game.

(For the record I like AT and I loved the way he played in the NIT game. Obviously, having a more effective 3 point shot would be great but I do love the ball in his hands when he looks to attack the rim.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  8. NCJon

Money:
    $6,348
    That's only true for certain conferences.

9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    That may very well be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. CarlosDanger

CarlosDanger Member

Money:
    $115
    Alford was a really good hire. They will be alright.

11. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,340
    Former McD all American Jordan Brown from Nevada just got put into the transfer portal.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
    CarlosDanger likes this.
  13. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,528
    Sounds like he wants to stay out West.

14. Hinkle Nation

Money:
    $480
    That’s not the Nevada guy right

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,310
    No, that's the South Dakota State transfer.

Hinkle Nation likes this.
  16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,109
    Jenkins has always been a west coast lean...so it makes sense. But Penny works his magic and stays afloat. I really like Jenkins but that list screams "I like the pacific time zone."

17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
  18. codawg

codawg Member

Money:
    $110
    Alford is an awful human being that has no business being employed coaching college students. Just a bad person.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,109
    Sign my punk ass up. Good find bumba.

bumba and CarlosDanger like this.
  20. Hinkle Nation

Money:
    $480