2019 Transfer Candidates

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by estar20dawg, Jul 23, 2018.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,728
    I'm thinking one or the other...whatever it takes to start playing pro ball. It's just a feeling I'm getting, that this is his last year in college.

My hope-he is that good this year, it'll surely help our results.

Bulldogs260 likes this.
  2. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    Tucker is probably headed to the G-League next, I do not seem him coming back to Butler for his senior year. If he does get drafted it is because he will be an All Big East player and makes several All American teams. Just saying.

3. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $813
    I hope, for JT's sake and ours, he has the type of year he believes he will. We need it and it would be a nice feather in LaVall's cap. With that said, he and the team will have to be dramatically better this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Member

Money:
    $105
    I totally get the feeling for tucker being gone after this year and I respect it but after a awkward start this year he IMO would have to be a complete stud this year. I’ve already thought about him and Thompson being seniors together and thought that team would be special. Either way I would be ok, can’t hate a kid for following his pro dreams. Just selfishly as a huge butler fan would love to see him and Thompson as seniors

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    That's not how that season went down at all. Lewis started the first few games, though Barber got more minutes, and then Barber was made the starter for game five. Barber was really up and down in his consistency and Mark Gottfried finally replaced him with Lewis as the starter about halfway through the ACC season. Lewis remained the starter the rest of the year.

There was never any doubt that Gottfried was grooming Barber from the minute he signed him. Barber and Lewis were very different styles of point guard. Lewis had committed to State when Sydney Lowe was the coach and he would have been a fantastic fit in Lowe's offense. He was a poor fit in Gottfried's system, which was a faster pace and called for significant scoring from the PG position. Barber was his first big recruit.

So yeah, Lewis' future in Raleigh wasn't bright, but that was mostly due to a system/coach change and not due to being outplayed, which he did the one season he and Barber played together.

estar20dawg likes this.
  6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,472
    Barber was named the starter two months into his freshman year. While I do agree there was a coaching change, I think Barber's performance on the court was the primary factor. It's kind of like saying Fromm should have stayed the starter in early 2014 even though AC was clearly outplaying him. It is what it is, and it was years ago so we're getting a bit sidetracked from the original discussion. I think Barcello would still be a good fit at BU because he's been recruited over multiple times at Arizona. Does that mean he's not a Big East talent because he's been stuck behind 5 star recruits? My guess is he can play at our level of competition....and since BU isn't as likely to get 5 star recruits, this could be an ideal spot for minutes as an upperclassman transfer (like Lewis did).

willisbrown likes this.
  7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    Perhaps? There is no question about his craftiness or basketball IQ. A fresh start might be what is called for? My questions would be concerning his athletic ability and defensive presence, both of which would be needed in LJ's current scheme.

8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Barber was named the starter for the fifth game of the season, in late November, less than three weeks into his NC State career, and then got demoted in favor of Lewis for the last 10-15 games of the season.

It's not really comparable to the Fromm/Chrabascz situation at all. Gottfried was pushing Barber because he was grooming him for the future and then went back to Lewis when the wheels started to come off the season.

State's season started rocky and included a loss to NC Central that looked bad - think losing to Purdue-Fort Wayne - at the time, even though that Central team ended up being phenomenal and their first D1 tournament team. Gottfried basically scapegoated the loss on Lewis, even though it probably had a lot more to do with senior center Jordan Vandenberg being hurt at the start of the season. Speaks a lot to Lewis' character that he worked his way back into the starting lineup over the coach's preferred PG. A lot of kids in the same situation would either bail at the end of that first semester or become a locker room problem.

Anyway, my whole point has been that Lewis and Barcello are a bad comparison at this point in their careers. If he wants to come to Butler and the Butler coaches want him then I hope he has an amazing career as a Bulldog.

estar20dawg and UDDawg like this.
  9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,472
    Both of them saw the writing on the wall that a more talented player was about to be the starter/eat into their playing time. Fair? Either way, I agree with you Barcello would make a great BU transfer and a significantly better player than people may think. I hope we don't wait on 2020 freshmen who haven't committed to go after him if he can play the 1 & 2.

10. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    You think a guy who has averaged 3.3 points a game who couldn't get 10 minutes a game this past year on a really down Arizona team and you think he's going to come in here and do what exactly?? That's what you want as a veteran transfer leader? I want the most talented guy, don't care, freshman or senior. He couldn't make it in the Pac 10 which was god awful and now you want him to what start in the Big East???

dawgs2014 and Tentozen like this.
  11. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,173
    *whispers*

Tyler Lewis averaged 5ppg in 18.3 mpg in his career.

nindiana likes this.
  12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,472
    It's a matter of perspective I guess. AT had the starting job handed to him on a silver platter from Day 1 because we had no options. Barcello has been competing against 5 star & Top 20 point guards in the entire country for playing time. AT wouldn't even be here if Bolt & Schrage hadn't missed on Barcello the first time.

'18-'19 Alex Barcello - 3.3 points per game @ 9.6 minutes per game
    '18-'19 Aaron Thompson - 6.3 points per game @ 27.0 minutes per game

13. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $4,173
    I genuinely do think that the answer to this at that the staff likely understands the value of these players better than a bunch of fans on a forum, but that may be a very cold take.

2xDawg and godogs91 like this.
  14. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $116
    Huzzah! Huzzah! (That's what the ancient town-criers used to yell.)

15. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,301
    upload_2019-7-12_14-32-29.png

Looks like we have a new player. Mike Parker from NC. I've been building out our season wiki page and he got added to the roster between yesterday and today. Doing some digging on him

16. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $4,173
    Is he a walk-on?

17. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,301
  18. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Member

Money:
    $84
    We all wanted Barcello a year ago and now we don't... Really, what has changed besides Barcello is a year older? If you thought Barcello was good enough to play for us a year ago then you should be happy to have the chance for him to play with us going forward. His stock was high we couldn't get him. His stock fell a little so now we have the chance to scoop him. At the end of the day he's still the same player. I'm not letting a year at Arizona sway me one way or the other. If you become that finicky with players you will never capture talent because you want to buy when someones hot and sell when someones cold. At the end of the day we are Butler, we have to find edges and be sharper than other programs.

Ask yourself this, If Barcello's floor is Collin Gillespie and his ceiling is Ryan Arcidiacono would you take him?

19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,728
    I want him still. I think he'd be a fine addition.

20. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    To be fair I didn't want him before and he has done nothing to warrant me to start wanting him now...