2020 Big East Tournament

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by dawg767, Feb 24, 2020.

1. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $706
    I know it's premature to create this thread, but wanted to do so now to start discussing seeding scenarios.

The initial point I wanted to make here is that for Butler to avoid the awful Play-in game, we really need Creighton to win BE regular season.

The 2nd tie-breaker after head-to-head (I'm assuming loss to X) is record vs highest placed team. We have 1 win in hand vs Creighton and 0-2 vs SH. X has 1 win vs SH and 2 losses vs Jays. Marquette has 3 losses with a home game left vs SH. Out of dignity, I'm not going to consider Georgetown here.

BE Bracket Calculator from niklas_early (neat tool): http://bball.notnothing.net/bigeast.php?sport=mbb

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    bmradio99 and znelson15 like this.
  2. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,135
    I welcome this thread, but the lead-in cracked me up. "I know it's premature to create this thread"...but I'm creating this thread.

3. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,630
    I started looking at this over the weekend. Obviously Butler really needs to win the next 2 games and root for Creighton & Villanova to win and for Xavier, Marquette, & Seton Hall to lose. Now, if Butler can take care of their own business & win the last 3 it won’t matter what everyone else does.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. Clevedog

Clevedog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $489
    If we are at a point where we are sure we get in the NCAA Tournament, do we need to participate in the Big East tournament? Can't the team just rest on their previous accomplishments and get focused on the NCAA's. Does anyone see positive results if we play in the BE tournament? Or we could just lose our first game and go home and rest up.

5. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,953

the_speakers_lab likes this.
  6. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $743
    We usually do.

7. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Active Member

Money:
    $404
    http://bball.notnothing.net/bigeast.php?sport=mbb

This is a fun tool to use to try and configure the BE Tourney in advance. It's also interesting/frustrating to see, in hindsight, how if Butler had won certain games how it would have impacted the seeding.

8. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,411
    Is there a way to pin this to the top of the thread? That scenario predictor is amazing every year.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  9. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,601
    So the Providence at X game March 3/4 is the HUGE game that can make or break Butler ending up in one of the play in games on Day 1 of the BET. We all should be HUGE Providence fans, as if any of us needed another reason to root against X.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  10. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $743
    It's really more of a "Steel Cage" match than basketball game. I guess if Providence wins 2 of 3 and at least 1 in Big East tournament they'll get a First 4 Ticket. Interesting to see what they do at Nova.

11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,086
    I honestly don't care too deeply about BET seeding at this point. I'm focused on our record in conference and just feel that the human side of the committee will reward us if they see "9-9" vs "8-10". At 7-11 we're out unless we roll the tournament. If we have to play the first night, it's a chance at another W against a top 80ish NET on a neutral, it's not the worst thing in the world. I just want to get to that 9-9 mark and let the chips fall from there.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  12. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,135
    Following up on Willis' post, which hypothetical is more favorable for NET:

9-9 BE record, 7 seed in BET, go 1-1 in BET
    9-9 BE record, 6 seed in BET, go 0-1 in BET

For the record, my general thinking is I'd prefer to avoid playing on the first night of the BET. With our luck this year, it's just another game for possible injury, as much as anything.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  13. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $706
    Totally agree. I edited my initial post and added the link there. . .

willisbrown and bmradio99 like this.
  14. willisbrown

Money:
    $8,086
    I just care more about getting a couple more wins to boost moral back to where it seemingly was before the collapse. 9-9 mentally will look better and feel better for the guys than continuing the collapse. They can tell themselves they survived with a .500 record the toughest conference in hoops, and that they took on storm after storm of crap and were able to pull out with a decent record. Don't care about seed or when they play, just get these next two wins and give yourselves something to feel good about.

BURph92 likes this.
  15. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $671
    I'd go with #1 because that adds an additional possible Q1/2 win on neutral, especially if it is against a team we split with to get the "series" win.

willisbrown likes this.
  16. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,238
    X remaining games @ Hoyas today, @ Providence Wednesday. Home Butler Saturday.

Marquette remaining games @ DePaul Tuesday. @ St John's Saturday.

How does everyone think 5-7 will shake out?

17. BNiche

BNiche Active Member

Money:
    $153
    Marquette 10-8
    Butler 9-9 (lose to St Johns, beats Xavier)
    Xavier 8-10 (beat Hoyas, lose Providence and Butler)

But in this conference, who the heck knows?

cornette33 likes this.
  18. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,601
    So, I believe DePaul loss and SJU win this weekend gives the first locked seed in BET. DePaul can’t finish 9th now, and is locked into the 10th seed.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $8,086
    I think we all end up 9-9. Not sure how the tiebreakers will work in that case since we would have split (in my scenario) against each other.

20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,690
    Tiebreaker is record against league winner. Then record against 2nd place, then third, etc.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well