2020 Big East Tournament

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by dawg767, Feb 24, 2020.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,106
    Honestly, this is about as empty of a feeling that I have had in awhile. Maybe ever. I live for March. And I live for having a society where we don't just cancel everything due to fear. I went to a restaurant last night and there were 3 tables, 3. Popular restaurant. 3 tables. All sports are being cancelled. Schools and universities are shutting down. Soon enough, churches will too. It's just empty.

No hoops is the worst part of course. And dammit we had a decent season. All for not. I feel really badly for KB, McD and Baddley. This has to be gut punching to them.

dippper61 likes this.
  2. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,029
    You feel for the players, especially the seniors, who've spent their basketball lives to get to this moment and have it taken away, completely outside of their control. It's a tough decision that certainly isn't being made lightly by all of these organizations. Nobody wants to change all of these plans obviously, but it's not worth a sick player or person in attendance spreading to everyone, then to anyone traveling with them, and then to people in their communities, etc.

3. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,461
    If only everyone was as tough as you are!

ButlerProf and dawgs2014 like this.
  4. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,631
    I guess the local urology clinic can stop running it’s radio ads about now being the time to get a vasectomy because you can sit on the couch watching basketball while you recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,972
    There's going to be a bunch of dudes at home next week, sitting on a bag of frozen peas with nothing to watch on TV.

6. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $706
    Looks like the Players Championship will be the only show in town this weekend. Expect record ratings.

On top of this ****storm of depressing news, it looks like my real golf tee time Saturday might be canceled due to light snow in Denver Friday night. Sunday looks OK though but I'll be losing at least 18 golf balls because I'll be leaving my ball in every hole due to COVID19 concerns -- many dirty hands in them before me. The space suit I'll be wearing will likely impede my normally pristine swing as well.

7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,754
    If the tournament is canceled, it’d be like trotting Santa Claus to the public square, coming to a realization that he really does exist, only to have him publicly executed.

If that sounds extreme, there’s a reason for it.

willisbrown and godogs91 like this.
  8. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,001
    Dunno, but 151,600 people die worldwide every day, most are old and sick and every person ever born will die. This flu is no better or worse than the last 50 that blew through the world.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,494
    You keep saying that, but it doesn't make it true. Things are not being cancelled out of fear. They're being cancelled because it's a last ditch effort to get in front of a serious public health crisis. We all need to change our behavior immediately and for the next short period of our lives in order to avoid having our healthcare system overwhelmed the way Italy's is right now.

Different variations of the same tune worked in China, South Korea and Japan to give their healthcare systems a fighting chance.

BoyGeoff, estar20dawg, bumba and 3 others like this.
  10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,706
    The point isn’t how many right now, man. And the point isn’t about what it will do to most healthy people who get it. The point is where this thing is heading. It spreads like wildfire. Virtually All experts expect US cases (and thus hospitalizations) to explode over the coming weeks. And even if only .5% who get it die (which is below the current rate by a lot), .5% of a huge number is a big number. Plus, our health care systems is about to get bombarded. The longer we delay the spread via distancing, the less overwhelmed our health resources will be over the coming months, which means better care and fewer deaths.

It sucks so bad. But this is going to save lives, potentially a lot of them.

BoyGeoff, NCJon and firedupkaren like this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,106
    What I'm saying is that I'm not used to a society living in fear. Everything will be changed and is changing due to fear of how bad this thing can get, and we're just not used to that as Americans. And it's quite the empty feeling.

12. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,001
    The fatality rate is far less than 5 percent.
    Sent from my SM-G930T using Butler Hoops mobile app

butler10105 likes this.
  13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,706
    It is. That’s why I wrote .5%...

14. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,061
    My God you are stupid

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,706
    Criticizing the person deferring to experts for being “all knowing” because that person will not buy into your own intuition is simply maddeningly stupid.

estar20dawg, NCJon and godogs91 like this.
  16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,307
    Men’s basketball funds virtually all of the other sports in the BE unlike the Power 5 . The cancellation of the tournament and the NCAA is going to have a huge impact on Athletics. The NCAA itself is dependent on March Madness which puts Mark Emmert’s $2,000,000 salary in jeopardy. This may be the canary in the coal mine for college sports.

17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,282
    Damn, can’t believe you guys don’t get to watch and gamble on a bunch of teens and early twenty years olds playing a game just because some people decided it may be more advantageous for those kids to have the maximum chance of parents to go home to after the game than for them to engage in 200 minutes of relatively inconsequential recreational activities.

Wow.

We should all write really mean letters (sorry for your feelings right? *flexes*) talking about how big of victims we are to prove our toughness, and maybe everyone will realize that we’re actually the experts!

18. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,849
    If someone tells you that they know that you're all knowing, would that imply that they are all knowing as well?

19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,494
    All I know is that I'm omniscient.

Hinkle and godogs91 like this.
  20. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,849
    It appears that the trolls have learned how to post again.

#60, DawgsMD and estar20dawg like this.