2020 Big East Tournament

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by dawg767, Feb 24, 2020.

1. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $706
    Virus spreading on this Board also. Just make the best of it and stay healthy!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Butler Hoops mobile app

godogs91 likes this.
  2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,186
    Do you understand we don't even know how many people are sick right now because medical facilities can't get the tests? I have friends who work in healthcare. They are telling patients to self isolate because "our country and healthcare system is not ready for this". I love March Madness like all of you do, but this is bigger than basketball.

3. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,842
    We are all going to get it at some point, but slowing the curve would be a big benefit for all.

On a separate but related topic, anyone think this may end up creating a baby boom?

NCJon likes this.
  4. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,001
    My apologies, the decimal isn't visible on my small phone screen, but the point still is that it us a very small number when compared to thousands of other risks e.g. 90 people a day die in the US in car accidents, and hundreds of thousands drive to NCAA football games every year, should we remove their risks by stopping football games?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Butler Hoops mobile app

butler10105 likes this.
  5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,087
    This whole shut down of society is so, so out of control. I get precautions, I guess. But, literally everything is cancelling. Soon enough we won't be able to go to margarita night/dinner.

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,690
    Do you think we should just let it spread at will, then? Even if that means we’re out of hospital beds by early May?

7. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,087
    Don't drag me into this!!!

#60, huss587, dippper61 and 2 others like this.
  8. MSUDawg

Money:
    $2,001
  9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,295
    MSU somehow someway we are going to get together for a b-ball game.

10. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,492
    You are aware that every year we take proactive steps as a society that significantly mitigate the spread of the seasonal flu? We can't do those things for this virus because they are not yet available and the early numbers indicate it has a far greater mortality rate than the seasonal flu.

But yeah, let's do nothing!

11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,295
    Actually started around 12000 years ago which is when humans started to cluster together and live with animals. Unfortunately there are cultures that eat wild as well as domestic animals ( cats and dogs) and insects raw ( monkey brains and roaches) or improperly cooked ( rodents). As long as we meet and greet them there and here this will not be the last pandemic. Globalism brings not only cheap goods.

12. MSUDawg

Money:
    $2,001
    Ok, I'm over this debate, we all have made our judgements - mine is that this media frenzy has created an irrational panic that is having consequences far worse than our annual flu season ever created. Let's reconvene next fall for the 2020-21 season and look back and decide how bad it really was. Over and out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,186
    bulldog.jpg
    You're right. You should wear Rudy Gobert's sweaty jock strap on your face just to show everyone it's a hoax.

PSUButlerFan and godogs91 like this.
  14. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,609
    The Media is not creating a frenzy. Health officials, you know the people who study these for a living, are advising the seriousness of this and what needs to be done to stop it form worsening. Whether people in turn create a frenzy from that is on them.

15. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,953
    LOGIC, NO!

huss587, bumba, NCJon and 1 other person like this.
  16. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $743
    He was able to squeak in 3 bad calls in that first half.

17. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $502
    On the Bright side......

The Butler Bulldogs will NOT lose a BE Tournament game in 2020.

Go Dawgs!

jeff, indienapolis, #60 and 11 others like this.
  18. godogs91

Money:
    $3,842
    So, a better-called game compared to most for him?

ButlerNut, PSUButlerFan and BoyGeoff like this.
  19. godogs91

Money:
    $3,842
    So you're saying that once a vaccine comes out, you won't get it?

To answer your earlier question, since October 2019, the CDC estimates that 34-49 million in the US have been affected by influenza, with 350k-620k hospitalizations and 20k-52k deaths, and this year is toward the lower end of estimates for any season in the past 10 years. (Link: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm). And this is for something for which a vaccine has been available in large supply since the 1940's. I know it isn't an apples to apples comparison, but when H1N1 caused it's first pandemic back around WWI, it killed 50 million worldwide and 675k in the US.

Using a more recent pandemic, it remains to be seen how this will compare to things like the swine flu (another variant of H1N1) pandemic of 2009. The CDC said that from 2009-2010, it affected 59 million people in the US, with about 265,000 hospitalizations and 12,000 deaths. Worldwide the high-end numbers for that timeframe were about 20% of the world's population (~1.4 billion) were infected, with up to 575,000 fatalities. (Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_States)

As others have pointed out, the flu is baked into the numbers that our health-care system handles every year. This new cousin of the flu will need some time to allow the world to get it's arms around it. It's additional to the flu cases that we already get, not instead of (for now). And having a swell of cases and hospitalizations rather than a tsunami is going to be a much more palatable outcome for all. Think about it: would you rather drink from your faucet in your house, or from a fire hose turned wide open?

20. TheOnlyNameLeft

TheOnlyNameLeft Active Member

Money:
    $251
    Why are you even here that little if that’s what you think of sports? I have an Ultimate Frisbee League game tonight that I’m gonna be PISSED if they end up canceling. I can only imagine what these student athletes are feeling not to be allowed to compete for what they’ve put years of work into. If they, or their parents, are that afraid then give them an exemption and make the schools keep their scholarships. But to cancel the whole postseason is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops