2020 Bracketology

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by UDDawg, Feb 3, 2020.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,454
    All we have to do is hold serve at home (easier said than done, obv) and we will be rewarded with a decent seed. Butler is not going to win at Hall or Creighton and Xavier is a toss up IMO. I can see us as low as 7 as high as 4. It really does all come down to Wednesday. Got to get some Hinkle mojo and then we have a pretty slick path to 9-9 and maybe even 10-8. I'm good with either.

2. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,536
    Butler will not be a 4 seed, I am thinking 6 or 7.

3. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,049
    I’d love to be wrong, but I don’t see a 4 seed in our future.

4. dawg767

dawg767 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $511
  5. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,197
  6. willisbrown

Money:
    $7,454
    I'm guessing we keep slipping and end up a 6 or 7 seed.

If we sweep these next two at home, I can start thinking 4/5 seed again.

7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,991
    If X can win at Seton Hall, so can we.

8. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $151
    Ugh. I have no confidence at all after the last two weeks. I predict a 8-10 finish and a 7 or 8 seed, which I would have been pretty happy with preseason.

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $7,454
    I think we can pull off 9-9 but that's about where my hope ends. If we go 8-10 with one win in the BET, we'll probably get saddled with a 9 or 10 seed. If we can get to 9-9 I would expect a low 6 or 7.

All we really have to do to be in comfortable shape is beat one of Gtown/Xavier and DePaul and SJU at home. Even as crappy as we are playing, that's still doable and 3-4 down the stretch is just fine. 4-3 will be remarkable.

10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,991
    NET update:

12 - Hall
    13 - BU
    19 - Marquette
    21 - Nova
    24 - Creighton
    42 - X
    52 - GT
    57 - PC
    65 - DePaul
    77 - Johnnies

Still sitting on the 3/4 line probably at Cleveland, really need a good showing against X tonight. We're currently 12-6 in Q1/2.

jkcdawgs, ButlerNut and bmradio99 like this.
  11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,991
    NET update:

12 - BU (+1)
    16 - Hall (-4)
    19 - Creighton (+5)
    20 - Marquette (-1)
    21 - Nova (no change)
    43 - X (-1)
    52 - GT (no change)
    62 - PC (-5)
    66 - DePaul (-1)
    67 - Johnnies (+10)

Huge win by Creighton last night. We're still probably straddling the 3/4 seed right now. If we do get the last 3 seed, that might put us in Tampa if Izzo & Huggy Bear are ahead of us on the 3 line (they would more than likely get the Cleveland #3 seed). I think the BE is a solid 7 teams in fwiw if GT or PC doesn't sh*t the bed. As of today for Q1/2:

BU - 13-6
    Hall - 12-6
    Creighton - 11-6
    Nova - 11-6
    Marquette - 11-7

12. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,197
    It's great that every game in conference is a Q1/2. It assures the entire conference that if the team makes it to conference play without a bad loss, there won't be one in conference. Such a solid top-to-bottom conference.

Also, I really like the use of metrics (i.e. NET and Quads) with this conference. Otherwise, the talking heads would call every DePaul game a "bad loss" because of their history.

bumba and BUcheer like this.
  13. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,691
    Thanks for the update. I'm comfortable (for now) with the thought of six in the tournament. Getting either Georgetown or Providence in is going to be an uphill climb, I think. The Bracket Project (http://bracketmatrix.com/) currently has GT in the Next Four out. Both teams will have to help themselves compared to where the computers are predicting they will finish. Torvik's NET forecast page (http://www.barttorvik.com/net4cast.php) has GT predicted to finish at 57 with a Q1/Q2 record of 9-15, and Providence is predicted at 65. Their Q1/Q2 prediction is 9-10, but they will have to overcome their Q3/Q4 record of 8-4. Let's not contribute to GT's case on Saturday. Hold serve at home.

bumba and OldSchoolDawg1983 like this.
  14. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $758
    I see us winning all three of our home games and 1 of the three away. I wouldn't call 4-3 remarkable. 5-2 would be pretty remarkable. There is no reason why we couldn't go 7-0 in my opinion. Not realistic, but this team is good.

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,961
    We’d have to really suck rocks coming down the stretch at this point to only go 9-9.

The projection is now 11-7, but it does seem 10-8 is a lot more likely than 12-6.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  16. willisbrown

Money:
    $7,454
    I made this statement before last night, thinking that was our remaining home game that I saw as the toughest, most "lose-able" game. Now that game is in our wallet I'll pivot to say 9-9 to me now is a little bit of a disappointment. 10-8 is expected now in my eyes which would be wonderful, especially with the lack of depth we have been playing with much of the big east season. 11-7 would be kinda insane.

And don't look now, but with Ole Miss' recent run, they've bumped up to 81 in net. If they finish half way strong, that could be a top 75 true road game win. Nice additional notch in the belt.

znelson15, Shimmy, jkcdawgs and 3 others like this.
  17. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,513
    We might already be a lock for tournament. We have 13 Q1+Q2 wins (including 8 Q1 wins) and it will be tough to keep a team with that many quality wins out of the tournament.

But yes, we should get to 10-8 at minimum (we are fairly heavy favorites in each home game). Then we are true underdogs at SH and at Creighton. But Xavier will probably be about a tossup (I think we +0.8 on Barrtovik right now). So I think 10-8 or 11-7 are the most likely outcomes. I think if we just take care of home games and go 10-8, we are probably on the 5 line. 11-7 probably doesn't change much (maybe 4 line). I think to get to the 3 line we would have to go 12-6 and win one in the BE.

OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  18. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,624
    Saw a stat last night.... When Creighton scores 70 or more they are undefeated.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,961
    At worst, we'd be among the last four out if we lost all of our remaining games. 19 wins against a top 25 schedule is usually good enough. TeamRankings has us at 95% to make the Tournament if we finish with 19 wins.

A win Saturday and the Tournament is a 100% lock.

znelson15 and OldSchoolDawg1983 like this.
  20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,949
    Actuallllyyyy Title said we’re going to the NIT

soooooooooo

Plot twist....we’re already a lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg, Shimmy and godogs91 like this.