2020 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by ButlerNut, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    Really? It takes a lot of energy to recruit successfully to a school like Evansville, for one. Second, best case scenario, you get 3-4 years out of him before it's retirement time. Is that what you want? And is that going to make for easy recruiting? How many program takeoffs were accomplished by an unproven guy at retirement age? None?
    Again, really?

Hinkle Magic2 likes this.
  2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,796
    Unproven guy? Also read somewhere the contract was 2-3 years. Still think they bring on an heir apparent next season ala Keady/Painter. Won’t negatively affect recruiting one bit.

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    Unproven is probably the wrong word. He's not a bad coach. But he's not a particularly good one either, and he's certainly not the guy, especially at his age, who's going to take Evansville anywhere they haven't been.

Three of his six teams at Butler were good. Outside of that, his lengthy track record doesn't really suggest he's going to do much for you. If he's a stopgap, fine. But why not just restart now?

Hinkle Magic2 likes this.
  4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
    I think Lickliter is probably a good choice under a pretty unique set of circumstances: 1) He's available mid-season. 2) He's familiar with the players having been there last year and helping recruit. 3) The interim coach was clearly having difficulty and only joined the team when Graves left in August. 4) The other two coaches have almost no experience. Terrence Commodore was an assistant coach for two years at EKU before coming to Evansville with McCarty last year. Logan Baumann was promoted from video coordinator when Lickliter left. 5) Waiting till the end of the season to conduct a national search has potential for the program to crater even worse than it has. Evansville has a huge mess on its hands and how they handle it right now has a chance of preventing it from getting worse.

I'd bet money the Evansville AD approached him about taking over as interim and he recognized he was in a good bargaining position and asked for a few years. Obviously a guy his age isn't likely to coach Evansville for the next decade, but he can lay the foundation and put in five or six years if things go well.

I'm really curious to see who he brings in as assistant coaches. There are a handful of Butler guys in coaching that I think he could bring along who would be interesting. I'm thinking particularly about Rosie and Hahn, though I don't know if the latter has any desire to move up from high school coaching. Veasley, too. He played for Lickliter his freshmen year. Obviously lots of other coaches out there too, just thinking about some of the Butler guys who might be connected to Lickliter and have midwest recruiting connections.

Maybe Graves would come back - I think I read his wife and kids were staying in Evansville through the school year - but I can't imagine Evansville can pay anywhere near as well as Xavier. I guess if it was a coach-in-waiting situation, I don't know. His struggles at South Alabama are going to make him a hard sell for a head coaching gig.

Shimmy, BUcheer, bumba and 1 other person like this.
  5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    This.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    It takes a lot of energy to recruit successfully at any school including South Alabama where apparently Graves wasn't successful. Guess we can revisit this subject in 3-4 years and compare where Graves is and where Evansville/ Todd are. Cold take for one of us. Too many isms in this type casting identity world some are preferring.

7. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,513
    To me, it's a safe comfortable hire, but doesn't really push the needle.

Lickliter flamed out at Iowa. He wasn't good at Marian. He's 64 years old, and while anyone can insinuate that he stepped down because he saw things were spiraling out of control culture wise under McCarty, I've been told there were legit health issues as well.

He seems like a guy who's on his last leg of coaching.

And while it's fine to "slam" Graves here, he's like 15 years younger, was Stevens' lead assistant coach here at one time and maybe would've been the heir over Brandon Miller (had he not had awful timing and taken that South Alabama job), and he's also one of the assistants who was presumably doing a lot of the heavy lifting on recruiting for the Aces prior to stepping down this past offseason. He's also an assistant for Xavier now, which means he's getting more exposure to different ideas and coaching concepts--which is also important.

I'm not even saying UE should've gone the Butler route, they should've conducted a national search entirely, but Lickliter is a very lukewarm hire for that program. If you're only looking for a stability and culture clean up, he's the guy. But I would prefer someone who could actually take that struggling program to the top of the MVC.

To me, it appears to be a panic hire.

McCarty had actually created buzz and done a fairly good job of recruiting, but he lacked X's and O's, and the team didn't really seem to have any real leaders.

8. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,013
    It's a dumpster fire at UE right now. It couldn't have been handled any worse by all parties.

9. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,124
    Yes but two of those good teams played in the Sweet 16, four years apart. You have to remember that was unchartered territory for Butler at the time.

And I'd say four of his six teams were good, anyway. The 2002 "snubbed" team was really good and the 2006 NIT team was good too.

And why is everyone making Matthew Graves so old? He's only 45.

10. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,839
    I really liked that 2006 NIT team. They were undersized but played well together, played to their strengths, and were fun to watch. Butler was coming off consecutive down years so it was nice to win 20 games & win a game in the NIT that year. I think we played a 3 guard lineup with AJ Graves, Avery Sheets, & Bruce Horan and our “bigs” were Brandon Crone & Brandon Polk.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292

Shaka getting a beat down by a sub .500 team. His contract is guaranteed for two more years I think, but can't imagine the donors are happy.

znelson15 and Hinkle like this.
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    3 more seasons I think, which is unreal. It’ll cost them about 10 mil to do it, but if you’re the richest athletic department in the country and fired a guy who went to the tournament like 16/17 years, I think you have to move on, painful as it’ll be.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

znelson15 and bumba like this.
  13. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,232
    Crazy to think how bad it’s been for Texas since moving on from Barnes

Looks like such a bad decision in my eyes now

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
    I thought firing Barnes was a bad decision at the time, and he's one of my all time least favorite coaches.

Hinkle, bobbu64 and znelson15 like this.
  15. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,261
    It’s even worse than that. Prior to Smart, UT was coached by Tom Penders and Rick Barnes. Those two were there a total of 27 years. During those 27 years, UT missed on the NCAAT 3 times. Barring UT winning the Big-12 tournament, they will miss on the NCAAT for the 3rd time in Smart’s 5 seasons.

I will admit I thought Smart would do very well at UT. Clearly he has not. The salary due him is almost a non-factor given UT’s finances. I have to believe he will be fired. Heck, they fired Barnes because he couldn’t get to the Sweet 16.

Hinkle likes this.
  16. EagleIan

EagleIan Member

Money:
    $95
    Todd Lickliter was an excellent coach at Butler. Winning the preseason NIT started the dream big think that eventually lead to B2B Final Fours and entry into the Big East. Preparation and execution were the calling cards of his teams.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,804
    Barnes also refused to cheat.

18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Shaka’s teams have had a lot of injuries including one key player who was diagnosed with cancer and of course a one and done who we tried to recruit who is now a star in the NBA.?

19. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,247
    Beilein back on the market...

20. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,011