2020 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by ButlerNut, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    Belein is such an interesting case. The guy is a well-proven success in the college game. But he’s also 67. He’s not a long term solution for anyone.

The IU boards, naturally, are calling for him. Archie won’t go anywhere after this year, but they could be looking after 2020-2021. But, best case scenario for a 68 year old is that he rebuilds over a year or two and gives you 3-4 winning years. Best case.

If I’m JB, I’m probably just going into TV for the next 8-10 years. You know BTN would hire him tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

Shimmy, znelson15 and Insane Dawg like this.
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,029
    Texas...they can afford to both cut ties and pay Belein. I've heard the IU people screaming for him...not happening. It was a curious hire for Cleveland to begin with and has backfired big time.

3. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,266
    TV is the smart move. Left a great college coaching job for?? And, chose to ignore the obvious differences in NBA versus NCAA? Eyes wide shut. Stock should drop on that decision making process alone. Of course, in our nano second world of selective memory, the doors will open wide immediately. Welcome back coach. Wherever he goes, he won't catch lightning in a bottle again. (my opinion) So, TV is the smart move. Live longer and happier!

4. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,273
    2 guesses who makes the first call...starts with a T ends with something you call a donkey...

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    In his last 8 years at Michigan (after a rocky first few years rebuilding), he had two seasons end in the title game, one end in the elite eight, and two others end in the sweet 16.

At West Virginia, after a rough first two seasons rebuilding, he had 3 straight top 35 teams.

He also won a lot of games at Richmond and Canisius.

Finally, he’s the guy everyone believes has done it the right way/within the rules.

You can’t call that lightning in a bottle. He’s a very good college coach.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

2xDawg, Shimmy and NCJon like this.
  6. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    Dakich wants Beilein or Brad Stevens at IU. He took a couple of shots at Butler also today. What else is new?

bobbu64 likes this.
  7. BoyGeoff

Money:
    $1,266
    Agree on his record and doing things the right way. Had it all going well. Top of his game and career. My point is, he already had that, had a system and team in place, had it for as long as he wanted with some grace built-in for at least 3 down years, and left it all for....? Oops! Never mind. I really don't like this job. What a surprise! I guess I see more irony here than most.
    His new reality is that: any college job he gets now will be starting over with someone else's recruits, the process of putting a team in place, creating a winning culture, and over 3 years, start winning again. He can do whatever he wants. I could have said it better but it would be extraordinary if "the "grass is greener" outside of what he had at Michigan. To wrap this up: What in hell was he thinking when he left in the first place?

Shimmy and DawgsMD like this.
  8. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    Ne was tired of the recruiting swamp, much like Stevens.

Shimmy, Insane Dawg and estar20dawg like this.
  9. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,349
    Two things I took from that article.

One: I wouldn't mind swapping out Beilien for Meyer or Kampen...just sayin'. His offensive schemes would really help LJ in the Xs and Os department. (not happening obviously, but I can dream).

Two: What the **** happened to Golden State? I don't follow the NBA at all, but I thought they were still good. Apparently, they suck.

10. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
    Durant left and Curry & Thompson are both out for the year.

NCJon, Shimmy and estar20dawg like this.
  11. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,349
    Aww...that would do it. A nice lottery pick to replace Durant and they'll be back next season, eh?

UDDawg likes this.
  12. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,261
    Beilein is 67, hasn't a thing to prove as far as coaching in college and will continue to collect paychecks from Dan Gilbert for a long time. I have to believe he'll be done with coaching.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  13. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,029
    You raise an interesting thought-what is his mindset? Does he want to keep COACHING or does he want to keep coaching...as in, will he be having the itch to be the head guy somewhere big...or, does he look in the mirror, see a 67 year old set for life that needs not the stress and rigors of coaching at the high D-1 level and maybe he comes to help his old understudy? It wouldn't even need to be full time, an advisory/Offensive input type of position. None of the recruiting nonsense...simply letting LaVall work his brain to better Butler's team. Especially with 5 new pieces coming in which they can mold right out of the gates? It's not that far fetched really. He can semi retire yet still be a part of something that has a chance to be big.

I still think he lands at Texas in the end. But your thought got my wheels turning.

14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,273
    Beilein has always been a head coach his entire career, don't think he's going to snap that streak now.

GS has also kept Draymond out for about half the games with various "injuries" I think it's kind of a brilliant strategy. They will have a healthy Klay and Steph next year with a chance to land Carey or Lamello Ball or Wiseman or either Anthony Edwards or maybe they go with Obi Toppin

15. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $761
    He wouldn't have to start over building a team to create a culture. A solid recruiting class is already on its way. He walks in already having the respect of LaVall without anything to prove so he can focus on what he does best. He can help get us back to the championship game and provide the offensive we need to win it.
    (ok, I'm going to try to reign it in now)

2xDawg and willisbrown like this.
  16. BoyGeoff

Money:
    $1,266
    That makes sense for a guy like Phil Martelli. He was summarily dismissed from HC St. Joe's and can add value, make money and not deal with the rest as an assistant at MI. Beilein is a different story. I guess we'll find out. I still like the tv option.

17. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,972
    And another report that the Knicks are making another run at Jay Wright, and according to a highly placed NBA source, there is mutual interest this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Sidd Finch likes this.
  18. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984

Sidd Finch likes this.
  19. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,261
    You’d be hard pressed to find a more dysfunctional owner than Dan Gilbert, but James Dolan probably fills the bill. And seeing how quickly it all unraveled for Beilein, I have a hard time believing Wright would do this.

BoyGeoff and godogs91 like this.
  20. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,972
    Did you see that house he is selling? 2.5 Million.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BoyGeoff likes this.