2020 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by ButlerNut, Jan 14, 2020.

1. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,273
    It's a nice house, tennis court and basketball, 6 bed 6 bath

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I have beds and baths in my house.

dawg767 likes this.
  3. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,261
    Gary Parrish believes Beilein *will* be coaching next season. Parrish knows a lot more about CBB than I do. Basically, his thinking is, by agreeing to a buyout, rather than waiting to be fired by the Cavs at the end of the season, Beilein wants to be available went the coaching shuffle starts in about a month.

4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
    Lots of jobs will come open over the next two weeks.

JMU kicks it off today after letting Louis Rowe go. I've always thought that should be a decent job. It's in a basketball oriented conference, has natural ties to two deep recruiting wells - Hampton Roads and the D.C. metro - and is an overall strong athletic department. But one NCAA tournament appearance in 25 years says otherwise.

5. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    Wyoming joined the fray today, after letting Allen Edwards go.

6. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,011
    Leitao getting an extension at DePaul? Didn’t see that coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ConnersvilleBulldog and dawg767 like this.
  7. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
    Lol that's so DePaul. Give him a lifetime extension, please!

8. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,114
    I thought they extended him last year? Job well done, I guess...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    Since the novel coronavirus discussion has infected every other thread, why not this one?

I am wondering how many coaches on the hot seat have had their jobs saved by the cancellation of the conference tournaments and general upheaval in college sports at the moment.

I mean, for example, if Florida State laid down the kind of whupping they're capable of on Clemson today, would Brad Brownell have been looking for a job tomorrow?

I also suspect with the new problems athletic departments are unexpectedly facing today, does an AD want to take on the extra cost and time of firing a coach right now? Like could this thing have bought Danny Manning another year? (I would have used Dave Leitao there, but there were reports out he was getting an extension before all this madness).

On the flipside, some coach out there probably lost the chance to save his job by making a good run in the conference tournament.

ConnersvilleBulldog and Hinkle like this.
  10. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $227
    Rick Pitino will be the coach at Iona. Tim Cluess resigned for health reasons. His record going into this year was 199-108---not too shaggy.

11. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,835
    Twitter wasting no time...

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    Looks like Slick Rick gets another chance, unbelievable. Iona is a Catholic School, must think everyone needs a second or third chance.

13. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
  14. dawgy dawgy

dawgy dawgy Active Member

Money:
    $247
  15. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    JMU hired Georgia Southern's Mark Byington. Interesting move on his part, in my opinion. Georgia Southern isn't exactly a great job, but he's done well there and the Sun Belt is a better conference. He takes over what's historically been a crappy job in a lesser conference, though as I said above, it's always seemed like the pieces should be there.

16. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    I guess that many coaches on the chopping block were probably saved by the abrupt end to the season.

17. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    I missed it with everything else going on, but UNC Wilmington hired Takayo Siddle as their new head coach last week.

Interesting guy. Young, but I think a lot of people have had their eyes on him as a potentially great head coach. So now we'll see.

He played at Gardner-Webb when Holtmann was an assistant coach. When Holtmann got promoted to head coach he hired Siddle as an assistant.

2xDawg likes this.
  18. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,839
    Saw that former Milwaukee coach, Rob Jeter, was hired at Western Illinois. He’d been an assistant at Minnesota the past 2 seasons. He also originally recruited Bryce Nze to Milwaukee.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

19. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $227
    Willie Veasley, the winningest player in BU history, has taken an assistant coach job at Illinois Chicago. He will be working for Luke Yaklich, who was formerly an assistant at Texas. Willie was a great player for the Bulldogs.

20. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    I think that's probably a good hire. I have never really understood why Milwaukee fired him. He did a decent job there.