2020 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by ButlerNut, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,248
    He's lost with bad teams. He's recruited well then lost with good teams. What does a guy have to do to get fired up there? Seriously, he must have compromising photos of someone. The only place it's tougher to get booted from your job is Congress.

Shimmy, NCJon, mwall787 and 2 others like this.
  2. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,717
    He gets a lot talent, but can't coach. His body language on the sideline is piss poor, plus his bench is undisciplined Plus his name has been brought in the recruiting mess.

3. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,664
    There's a reason DePaul alumni have taken out full-page ads in the Tribune and DePaul newspaper asking for the AD's termination

4. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $162
    Twenty-two coaches have either been fired or moved; 20 of the 22 have been replaced. This year's number of changes is considerably lower than last year at the same time.

5. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,873
    Manning is out at Wake Forest.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,807
    Word is they are going to make a power play for Forbes, which if they do is a home run. I always, during every "coaching (cough) search" wanted Barry to look at him. He is a wizard on the bench. If they nab him their program will be in very good hands.

7. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,693
    A lot of people connected to the program want Wes Miller. I think it's a two horse race between those two. The local paper floated Matta as a possibility. Thought that was interesting.

8. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,161
    Based on my last conversation with Thad, the newspaper is throwing spaghetti against the wall hoping something sticks. I seriously doubt Thad would consider it...

9. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,685
    Seems like Steve Forbes or Wes Miller would be really good hires for Wake. I think WF gave Manning enough time(6 yrs) but he just never got it going there. Overall ACC record of 30-80 & highest ACC finish was 10th. Had 1 NCAA tournament appearance(1st 4) with Wake. He also made 1 NCAA tourney with Tulsa.

10. willisbrown

Money:
    $8,807
    Yeah, I've seen Miller's name some as well. Either is a great get if they can pull it off. I'm more familiar and am higher on Forbes and have always wanted to see how he would do at a high major. I think he's earned the chance.

bobbu64 likes this.
  11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,664
    Danny Manning's buyout was supposedly $15M

[​IMG]

Hinkle, Shimmy, NCJon and 2 others like this.
  12. NCJon

Money:
    $7,693
    A gift from the previous athletic director. Supposedly a major reason the firing is happening now instead of a month ago. Needed to raise the funds for the buyout. Not a good look to be paying it when the university is having to seriously belt tighten due to the shutdown.

13. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,217
    So, how does this work? WFU is private. Did the AD basically conduct the equivalent of a secret, quasi-Go Fund Me drive among wealthy boosters who wanted to get rid of Manning and then pulled the trigger when he hit the goal?

14. NCJon

Money:
    $7,693
    Basically, yeah. Whenever you have these massive buyouts, the AD usually needs to get a couple of boosters on board with the firing and be willing to drop significant money in the jar to make it happen. A smaller buyout an AD might be able to spread across the budget, but with a big one they're almost always going to need some infusion of cash to cover it. It's also notable that Wake is the smallest FBS school, i.e. they don't have a big alumni donor base.

knobcreekfan likes this.
  15. NCJon

Money:
    $7,693
  16. willisbrown

Money:
    $8,807
  17. NCJon

Money:
    $7,693
    I hope he does well, too. I'd really like to see Wake get back to the upper echelon of the ACC, though I'm not convinced they can in the expanded league.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  18. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,149
    Linc Darner got fired at UWGB.

19. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,248
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    ButlerNut likes this.
  20. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,685
    Just read about this. It really doesn’t seem to make sense as the timing is odd & Darner had a decent 5 years at GB: 92-80 overall record, 51-39 HL record, 3 postseason bids(1 NCAA, 1 CBI, 1 CIT).

ButlerNut likes this.