2021-2022 Roster

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ap234, Apr 23, 2021.

1. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,022
    joliebeth23 and bumba like this.
  2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,276
    Rothstein is also saying Simas will playing PG?

3. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,445
    One of the articles I read, after learning Simas was coming to Butler, referenced Simas playing PG over seas. I really hope he can, but we'll see what the vision for him here is.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,902
    Having a big lead guard is so incredibly challenging for the opponent. I hope this is the case that he can run some here and there at that spot.

Also Bolden could very well start...I lean towards Groce with Bo out, but Bolden wouldn't surprise me. I stick to thinking he's a better 6th man that starter. We'll see.

5. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,445
    I would suggest Lukas probably has a better sense than Rothstein as to who would start and Lukas has been pretty unwavering in his opinion that Groce would likely start with Bo's injury (and might have even without the injury.). I think we should also hope Groce would start ahead of Bolden...

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,401
    Woods also tweeting that as well that's where he's been used in preseason practice.

7. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,439
    The comp for Simas that was given to me was Mike Monserez (for those who remember)—he brought the ball up some.

8. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $243

Lukas has been posting Butler practice updates on Twitter, and the more he mentions Simas, the more I get excited for what he might bring to this season. Having size at PG can be quite the luxury to have on offense, especially when cutting towards the basket to score or create for others. Even if he’s not that quick, having the ability to dish it and shoot it makes up for most of that; and if his outside shot is as good as it sounds, defenses won’t be able to lean heavily on Bolden and Harris anymore. I getting the feeling the offense could be much more balanced this year.

Tentozen likes this.
  9. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,736
    One should be compared to Monz only if one also does pump fakes from their tiptoes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

peeps112, BURph92, thevinrod and 2 others like this.
  10. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,308
    I would also like to see Butler take advantage of the size and occasionally clear the bigs: Let him post a smaller guard for an easy two and potentially get a couple quick fouls on their starters.

willisbrown likes this.
  11. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,130
    Couple of notes based on what I've read here:

1) Yes, Simas is playing some point guard in practices. Maybe we see him there early in the season while Tate remains sidelined, but I think he is better suited as a playmaking "3". There's no doubt about the fact that his IQ is beyond most freshmen, but he still has areas in which he needs to improve - namely, he has a tendency to throw too many one-handed passes. As long as Tate is out, AT and Chuck are the main point guard options - you have to practice with AT and Chuck on the floor together, so someone has to play point for the other team. Enter Simas to fill that role (and Jayden does as well). He shows some serious flashes of brilliance as a playmaker and shoots the ball pretty well; almost no elevation on his jumper but got it off in Europe and does in practice too. A bit inconsistent overall but he's going to be a really good long-term piece that should play some this year.

2) My prediction remains that Groce will start at the 3, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Bolden holds that spot. Bolden is a much better 3-point shooter, especially with competent playmakers around him. With AT back and healthy, Bolden should see plenty of minutes as an off-ball sniper; he got a bit of a bad rap near the end of last season due to having to do too much imo. As far as Groce goes...man, I think it's going to be hard to keep him off the floor. He is so big, long, and athletic. Had two swat blocks today that seemingly came out of nowhere, hit a few threes, aggressively attacks. Maybe I've just caught him at good times, but I've heard good things and he does pop. If the staff thinks they have enough shooting with Groce on the floor, then I think he should start; he raises the defense and puts pressure on the basket. But I would understand thinking they need more spacing, thus Jair.

12. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $855
    The Big East media mogul also like what he sees of Simas.....

Butler Bulldogs

[​IMG]

John Fanta
    @John_Fanta

·
    3h

Watching Butler practice and I’m really intrigued by 6-foot-6 freshman Simas Lukosius. The Lithuania native has international professional experience, and his feel for the game shows it. In 5-on-5 action, he’s creating for others and playing hard. He’ll certainly help
    @ButlerMBB

13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,190
    Yea Groce has pretty much had to be the man at Eastern, now with a supporting class and he's in the best physical and mental shape of his life I really expect him to be the X factor this year

joliebeth23 and Tentozen like this.
  14. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $534
    Lukas - Appreciate the couple of notes from practice!

Do you have any kind of target return date for Myles that you are privy to share? Really hoping he's able to return late October/early November so he can get some run before our slate of tougher games kick in. For Bo, are we still hoping for December?

You got a biggest surprise or two on the team after watching today?

joliebeth23 likes this.
  15. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,704
    Can he be the BU factor? We don’t use that letter on this board.

DawgPoundMac, DawgsMD and dawgs2014 like this.
  16. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,130
    Don't have a hard target return date for Myles, and I don't know I'm privy to share what I do know. I wouldn't expect him for the opener but should be good by conference play. Kind of a play-it-by-ear situation, I think. I'll post when I know for sure what I'm allowed to say. He is at least running through some team drills right now and doing some shooting. Brace on the knee. Bo is not participating at all from what I can tell right now (tho he is obviously there) - yeah I'm still hoping December but that's even more play-it-by-ear than Tate, I think.

Honestly...not many surprises today. Pretty much everything (both the good and the bad) was expected. I still think Groce and Taylor are the guys I look at as ceiling-raisers. Simas might join that group if the consistency grows. I guess it surprised me how good AT looked; he was fully cleared *this week* with the shoulder and looked just like usual. All over the floor on D, quick on the penetration, looked really good. Liked the willingness of the bigs to shoot. Wilmoth and Mulloy, in particular, had quicker triggers than I'd seen in the past (Nze is still shooting it well too). Chuck was the best scorer on the floor, and I'm not sure it was close. His ball-handling is miles better than it was last season imo. It's really crisp against doubles and creating looks for himself, particularly from three.

Hoping to get to at least one more practice before the exhibitions, since I won't be able to make it to local media day (engagement photos ahhhh, almost wedding time for me!)

17. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,222
    Thank you Lukas

This was the insight I was looking for

Really appreciate it

I am reaching for any butler news as the season grows closer

But also go tom Brady and go Red Sox

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

joliebeth23 likes this.
  18. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,308
    I agree, I appreciate the insight from you Lukas......

I also agree that Tom Brady and the Red Sox both need to go...... LMAO

znelson15 likes this.
  19. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,902
  20. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,190
    joliebeth23, 2xDawg and godogs91 like this.