2021-2022 Roster

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ap234, Apr 23, 2021.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,902
    I swear to God I'm just gonna stop liking players. The four I was happiest coming in last year and most high on have all had terrible things happen to the and in one case a terrible injury then a horrible act. Scooby, Coles, Tater Tot and now Bo...I was ultra high on all. Chuck I was happy to get but wasn't high on him (and of course he blows up). If I can just not like certain guys they won't leave, commit crimes or blow their knees to shiite (and whatever the hell this is). God hates my fandom.

In short, I suck.

BoyGeoff and HoosierDawg like this.
  2. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,902
    That's getting slimmer and slimmer. It's Bolden, some freshmen and I guess Wilmoth. We have no idea what we're getting from the freshmen-and two of them will get pressed into duty...And we know what we have with David and JMM.

Also we don't know when Tater Tot will be ready...this team isn't as deep with talent as some think. It's "deep"...how deep with big east level players we don't know and we've lost three sure fire contributors.

3. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,130
    I still think that Tate will be ready earlier than some anticipate, but for the sake of what I am posting below...I took both Tate and Hodges out of the equation. I am very high on Taylor based on what I've heard, plus Lukosius should see some time as well. The loosely-put-together rotation assumes Christian David and JMM as break-in-case-of-emergency options (David being more likely to play a significant role, obviously) and Hughes/Thomas both redshirting (decisions that of course haven't been made yet). That's still a nine-man rotation, seven of whom have at least one full season of collegiate experience under their belts (five being seniors). Obviously, there is less room for more injuries than there was before, but I assume Tate will be back to eat up ~20 minutes somewhat early in the campaign. I would of course prefer Hodges/Tate both be ready to go as soon as possible, but I'm also not a major proponent for going any deeper than 9 guys during the regular-season on a consistent basis.

We'll see what happens though!

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.10.48 AM.png

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,847
    Obviously your insight is much more concrete and less speculative than mine, but I’d just be very surprised if David’s role were closer to JMM than to a rotation regular.

He’s not exciting, his best offensive best case scenario is probably an efficient 4-5 pts per game, but there’s just considerable value to a very dependable, rock solid defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Shane Davis likes this.
  5. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,130
    I don't honestly have any insight into David's potential role this season. I agree that leaving him out feels *wrong*, but I've had more feedback on the other guys and the rotation just gets too big at a point. Early in the season, he probably takes the minutes I have listed for Lukosius but that could change over the course of the year. I'm very interested to learn more when I am actually able to get to practices and then how things look in the exhibitions. Just going off my reports right now.

6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,190
    I agree you can pencil in Taylor into some sort of role, it'll be really hard not to give him at least 10 minutes a night

7. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,445
    I'm very high on what could be with Taylor, Simas and Wilmoth, but, with as critical as it is for us to win at a high level this year, seeing that many minutes for those 3 makes me nervous.

I would love it if Jayden could end up taking more minutes from Bolden, though.

Like Willis, I had/have very high hopes and expectations for Bo this year with added skill development. I hope we aren't making Bo Smits references when his time at Butler is over...

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

tlp63 and willisbrown like this.
  8. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,401
    You weren't the only one, but I also remember you made some positive comments about Bolden too, and while he didn't get too chummy with our training staff, definitely didn't have the season he was hoping for. At this point I just try not to speculate until I see them on the court (but I'm sure I'm still guilty of getting excited about some kids). I remember being higher than a kite (in terms of expectations) after that Blue and White scrimmage on Elijah Brown, and then just being kind of "meh" about Chrabascz, at least when he signed.

Hoping that Lukas is right on some of these younger guys, but honestly after the last couple of years I'm just waiting for the next couple of injuries to drop that tank the season and send me back to watching the team with zero expectations, which honestly made last year more pleasant.

9. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,130
    I think that's the group that probably raises the ceiling most, because if they are good, that's a very good thing. If we just want to put the lineup with the highest "floor", then definitely substitute Christian David for some of the Lukosius/Wilmoth minutes, and jack up the playing time for AT, Harris, and Nze (all of whom have shown capable of playing more than 30 mpg). Add in a likely return for Myles Tate and that adds 20 more minutes of a guy people like more than the other options.

There's lots of different ways to formulate the rotation. I don't think they'll necessarily have to "rely" on JT/SL/MW unless they are deserving of those minutes. They have other options that are more proven, but also more proven to be more "floor" guys than "ceiling" (aka we know what we get out of CD as a role player).

For raising the floor, this is an example rotation (using the same stipulation of no Hodges/Tate, though again I think we see Tate earlier and Bo should return at some point.) I still think Taylor is going to be too good to leave out of the rotation based on the reports I've heard. This group probably provides the most stability in projections and less concerns about guys that make people more nervous about relying on. In this instance, Tate would be the guy to eat some of the Bolden minutes upon return - and would keep Chuck off-ball at all times.

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 1.51.35 PM.png

It's still a good problem to have that there are a lot of options. Whether or not they are a quality team is obviously something that is up to each person's opinion for the next month. Them they'll have to prove people right or wrong :p

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    jeff and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  10. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $2,445
    I have a hard time believing that Wilmoth isn't still a year a way. If I'm wrong, that would be incredible news, but he has to be a problem for other teams in 2022!!

11. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,704
    Become a fan of Xavier’s players

BulldogsFTW, dawgs2014 and BoyGeoff like this.
  12. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,902
    That would be the definition of "taking one for the team".

But, much like Robert Johnson, I'd make the deal if it meant no more knee injuries.

BulldogsFTW, PSUButlerFan and 2xDawg like this.
  13. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $855
    Tate....getting after it!

14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,344
    If Tate is ready, that's a huge step in the right direction.

2xDawg and BoyGeoff like this.
  15. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $586
    Two thoughts:

1) Why do our players keep suffering major injuries? It’s been too consistent of a pattern to explain away as circumstantial. Lavall or Barry need to review the strength/conditioning/training staff and figure out the root cause. It’s already a major issue.

2) I think people are writing off Bolden too quickly. I think he will settle nicely as a guy who isn’t counted on to lead the offense but can give us points and shooting that we will definitely need. He’s a good player who just didn’t play that well in a weird year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf and 2xDawg like this.
  16. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $2,445
    I asked the question a while back, but never got an answer: Did they change the floor in the Efroymson practice gym or is it still directly on top of the concrete with no cushion.

Maybe I'll just have to stomp around in there before a game or at halftime to see if I can find out...

17. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,190
    Yes I think he'll be better as just a catch a shooter this year, but his defense last year...woof so I would rather see as little as I can not cause he can't shoot I just don't want to see what's happening on the other side of the floor

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

znelson15 and Dawgedd like this.
  18. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,439
    The new EFG floor has a layer of cushioning under it

seadawg and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  19. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $586
    I think he can shoot just that he was asked to do too much last year. We will see though.

BoyGeoff, znelson15 and willisbrown like this.
  20. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,822