2021 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by UDDawg, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,695
    The timing of the Woodson announcement is interesting. I wonder if they made one final run at Moser after Loyola lost and only announced their Plan B (or C or D or E) hiring after Moser turned them down.

In any event, that huge sigh of relief you're hearing is coming from the Loyola faithful.

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,198
    That sounds like IU didn't make the decision. Some old donor living in the daydream of 70's glory did.

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,599
    Woodson had virtually no leverage, so I wouldn’t assume what they’re paying him is what they were capable of paying others. And if they were even wondering about Holt, who has a $12M buyout and is making $3.2M, I’d think they had the funds to go big.

But nobody wanted it.

4. Sonbog

Sonbog Active Member

Money:
    $2,964
    The way I understand it, Mr. Matta and Mr. Fife are "hot" on NCAA rules while Mr. Woodson has been out of the NCAA loop. They don't lack confidence that Mr. Woodson knows the Xs and Os, but that he doesn't have a clue concerning the landmines of his new job.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  5. HinkleMagic20

HinkleMagic20 Member

Money:
    $101
    Yeah, I thought IU was waiting to talk to either/both Porter Moser or Eric Musselman.

It's interesting because there's a flight log of Woodson flying into Bloomington last Tuesday, so it sounds like they were turned down by several candidates before circling back and offering him the job. It wasn't a situation where he interviewed and was immediately offered it.

6. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $186

I think you're on the money here. Like I said earlier, the only ones that would even want to take this job right now are those who have a desire to see it get back to the good ol' days when IU was still seen as a beast. At this point, the last piece of legacy they can cling to is their perfect season, and now Gonzaga is on the verge of taking that away - Right in their back yard.

Tentozen likes this.
  7. Sonbog

Sonbog Active Member

Money:
    $2,964
    Mr. Woodson is the "Ernie Banks" of IU basketball, the all around good guy who never said a cross word to anybody; he is also one of the finest players IU ever had. They didn't want a man who played for Coach Knight, but he played before the slander was hot against the coach. Since EVERY man they sought turned them down, they went to a man who would take the job. A big part of his job will be to quiet hot words with soft words; of all the ex players, he is the best equipped for this part of his job.

8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,731
    The truth isn't slander.

9. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,151
    You can’t have a coaching carousel thread without a flight log reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

WDLTH, knobcreekfan, BoyGeoff and 6 others like this.
  10. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $175
    My favorite quote on the IU Board about hiring Matta is, "Did we hire a coach for our new basketball coach?". Pretty much sums it up.

11. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,154
    Even D3 schools have compliance departments that a coach can go to. I didn't see Georgetown or St. John's put people on staff to protect their coach with no knowledge of NCAA rules from themselves, which if what you're saying is true is almost sadder than if they thought he needed help with the actual job of being a head coach. He shouldn't need that kind of help, and while more help is better, advice should be free, and this position makes it look like they are already looking over his shoulder.

Tentozen likes this.
  12. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $569
    What an odd hire. Oh well. I’m hoping that Butler fills the Meyer role with someone experienced like Beilein given that he doesn’t seem to be in anyone’s plans this year. Has anyone heard anything on any plans for an upgrade to the staff?

13. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,218
    Was told yesterday by a source close to older IU players in the loop that Moser was their next target. If so, his agent shut them down promptly.

14. Sonbog

Sonbog Active Member

Money:
    $2,964
    Did you live through that time? There would be wild accusations; the press would tell the world how terrible Coach Knight was. Two days later, after investigation, it was nothing. The press came out and said it was nothing, but they still knew he was terrible, even though they didn't get him this time. Those who repeat lies for two days, believing every word of slander, do not forget the thoughts of their hearts after the slander has been shown to be a big lie. People forget words, but they remember feelings forever. The remember the hatred with which they hated him for two days, but they never remember their hatred was because of lies. He was allegedly fired because he told a young man he should be addressed as Mr. Knight or Coach Knight, but not just Knight. He touched the young man's elbow--hardly something to cause complaint. The world, except for those who sought the details every time, didn't remember that the accusations were taken back, about every four weeks for EIGHT YEARS. The stupidest thing Coach Knight did since he was fired was visibly make up with IU. They didn't want to hire one of his players, but this time they were forced to do so.

I agree he did some stupid things. He threw a chair, but he threw it onto empty floor. I read an article several years after the fact which claimed he threw it at some old people in wheel chairs. This is a hideous lie but those who set their hearts to hatred believe every word. I got mad at him for his profanity, even though I am convinced a lot of this was overblown. He became the object of lies (on the street) from any man who wants people to listen to him speak; those who slandered him received instant honor from all who chose to hate him. We, you NC Jon and I, need to keep our attitudes in truth. If you hate him for things that are true, and you can probably find some of these things, then you have honest hatred. If you hate him for lies, your hatred is dishonest. He is a man of his word. He came to coach the Indiana Pacers for a day to keep a promise to Isiah Thomas. Those who slandered him were wicked. Every time he was slandered, I compared his righteousness (with a few obvious exceptions such as his profanity) to the absolute wickedness of those who slandered him. He kissed IU and made up, but I will never forgive IU. Miles Brant is answering to higher authority than any man, but those who run the school today were those who agreed with him; since they will not allow any man power unless he preaches his hatred of Coach Knight, this agreement can go for hundreds of years. Good men have gone there, such as their current football coach and Mr. Woodson--men whom I would admire anywhere else--but if cheering for them is cheering for IU, I will cheer against them every time.

He wasn't fired for speaking to a young man about how he should handle himself in public. He was fired because he had the talent on campus to win two more championships. IU decided it was entitled to those championships with or without Coach Knight. In 1992, he had a great team and (IIRC) went to the final four. From that time, the IU president and his cronies worked to slander him so he couldn't win. Indiana boys were told how terrible he was and then the press slandered him for not having Indiana boys. Coach Cam Cameron, the football coach, played basketball for Coach Knight. Coach Cameron said that when he was recruiting in any other state, IU was received favorably, but when he tried to recruit in state, IU was mocked. IU hated him because he was a friend of Coach Knight and fired him when he went 4-4 in the Big Ten, because he won late and had great recruits committed; IU had to prevent him from having great teams the next several years. No IU coach went 500 in the Big Ten after they fired him until recently. He won four of his last five games, defeating Michigan State, Purdue, Northwestern, and Kentucky (a game which was rescheduled because of 9/11), losing only to Penn St in that span. They said they fired him because "bottom line, he didn't have a winning record." When a team wins four of its last five, we say it turned the corner. They knew the team would leave and his recruiting class, which was very good, would leave. They knew they were consigning the football program to years of losing, but they still did it because of their hatred for Coach Knight. For years after that, if I listened to a game, I heard that we had to have patience with IU because of the mess Coach Cameron left.

If you wish to claim Coach Robert M. Knight was a villain, NC John, I suggest you accuse him with specific details. This is what you have: "Everybody knows he is a bad guy." The world is full of liars and honest men, such as you, are often swept into believing those lies. Do not cite the first report which was given to inflame the world into hating him. Cite the report after things were investigated.

15. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,695
    Although there is considerable gnashing of teeth on the IU boards about the Woodson hire, I'm amazed that there are so many that are saying great things about the decision. It's particularly remarkable since literally no one had said on the boards that Woodson was their first or second or even third choice when Miller was fired, and very few had him on their short list even after it became obvious that their first few choices (Stevens, Bennett, Holtmann) were nonstarters.

16. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,191
    I can't imagine writing a novella to defend a guy who choked a kid he was supposed to be mentoring.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  17. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,731
    I'm probably going to regret responding to this, but defamation law is a weird little niche that I have a lot more experience with than all but a tiny percentage of lawyers you might encounter.

Did I live through the Knight era? Not all of it, but enough. I lived in southern Indiana in the 80s and central Indiana in the 90s. I remember Knight having to sweat out whether or not he'd be extradited to Puerto Rico after getting convicted in absentia of assaulting a police officer. I remember he didn't bother to apologize (or even really acknowledge it, rather than to skip any tournaments in places where he might get picked up) until extradition from Indiana suddenly became a real possibility in the late 80s. I remember him putting his hands on Neil Reed's neck in a way that is wholly inappropriate. And it was all on video, plain enough for any of us to see. I remember watching him throw a chair across the court. I remember countless press conferences where he was rude, crude and condescending.

I don't hate the man. I don't know him. I've had the privilege of meeting a few of his former players over the years and most speak fondly of him. But the idea that he's been slandered is pretty ludicrous. Any harm to his reputation has been 100 percent of his own making.

18. HinkleMagic20

HinkleMagic20 Member

Money:
    $101
    I don't know why so much trouble is being made to defend Bob Knight on a Butler hoops forum.

19. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $705
    A lot of people in the IU camp believe Matta is there to help recruit and be a steadying force for Woodson on the sidelines. Does anyone have any definitive information on what an associate AD for basketball operations does?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

20. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,154
    No, but other than being able to meet with kids when they are on campus, an administrator can't be involved in the recruiting process. Also can't coach the team in any capacity, so other than being an advisor to Woodson, not really a bunch. Bill Comar filled the role for Archie Miller (I was under the impression this was a completely new position, but basically it's a glorified DOBO role without sideline duties), and it's a role that IU has had around since Tom Crean.

Thad Matta certainly helps sell the Woodson hire, but I think his role in the program (in terms of his overarching influence), might be a little over sold. The main difference here is that it sounds like IU is picking the person for the position, rather than the head coach deciding who to put in that role.