2021 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by UDDawg, Feb 15, 2021.

1. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,086
    I think that’s got to be the highest level he can hope to land a HC job. It may even be too high, but I’m sure he’d try if he’s decided to get right back into the game.

2. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,110
    If he does, I hope his salary is $1 until the buyout is paid off. I want the donor to have to pay every nickel!!!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014 likes this.
  3. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,670
    I strongly suspect there's a mitigation clause in Archie's contract that would make this problematic.

4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,692
    Hubert Davis is the new Carolina coach.

5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,110
    Not surprising. Will be interesting to see how he does on the coaching side. Getting players should not be an issue for basically anyone at UNC.

znelson15 and NCJon like this.
  6. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,692
    It's rare you see someone who has never been a head coach get a crack at a job like this, but I think Davis is as well prepared for the job as anyone could be. I'm really curious to see what kind of a staff he puts together, particularly whether Steve Robinson sticks around since he was apparently one of the other people who got an interview. I think it's important for a first time coach to have someone at their side like Robinson who has that head coaching experience. Also, there are a whole bunch of younger, former UNC players who are in various college basketball assistant and administrative roles so I am curious if any of them will be getting called up. For example, Sean May and Kendall Marshall were both handling administrative duties under Roy. Does one of them get promoted? If Robinson leaves, could he convince someone like King Rice to join him in an associate head coach role?

7. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $704
    Fife heading to IU to be assistant coach

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $757
    I wonder if Michael Lewis is still a possibility for the third and final assistant spot. And Lander has removed his name from the transfer portal and will return to IU. Be interesting to see what happens with Franklin, Thompson and Geronimo. As of right now Woodson is not doing bad.

znelson15 likes this.
  9. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,804
  10. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,885
    That's a good job, but not as high as it once was with the emergence of Gonzaga and the re-emergence of Oregon, UCLA, USC. They'll want to go squeaky-clean here to make the NCAA go away.

Michael Lewis might be a thought if they go with no experience. He now has ties to the west coast and the only job he would leave AZ for would be IU, and that seems to be locked down by Dane Fife now.

11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,313
    It's still a good job in my eyes, even with some of the issues that have surfaced. It's not a top ten or so job anymore though. With how good the pac 12 has become I think they'd try and swing big....but then again as noted above it may best serve them to go buttoned up on this one. Will be interesting to see who they target.

znelson15 likes this.
  12. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,885
    My first thought was this was where Kelvin Sampson was going to end up next...BUT...there are some major red flags with him.

13. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,313
    Yeah not sure if going from Miller to Sampson sends the right message. But, he'd kill it there. I'd kick the tires on Muss to see if he'd like to move back west but I don't think he'd leave Arkansas. I could see them going after Damon Stoudamire also. NBA and college coaching experience plus was a star there.

14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,399
    Bring Mighty Mouse home!

znelson15 and NCJon like this.
  15. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $177
    If all else fails, you've got baby bro Archie.;)

16. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,313
    It prob makes the most sense and I cannot see him saying no. He's got a cush job at a beautiful place right now, but you'd have to think he'd say yes to come home and build that thing back into what it was with Lute. High level ties with some being in the nba...could be attractive to recruits.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  17. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member

Money:
    $529
    I could see Mark Pope going to UofA. He has done a nice job ascending as a coach, has NBA experience, and runs a clean ship from what I read.
    The bigger question is why did they wait so long? Why not fire Miller before the end of the season and get in on some of the coaches earlier, rather than later. Odd, unless they know they have their next HC in the bag.

NCJon likes this.
  18. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,053
    NCJon likes this.
  19. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,313
    It's rumored the AD was considering and maybe even pushing for to extend him. But he couldn't get the Board to agree to that. And I think that meeting took place recently from the sound of it, so instead of a lame duck season, knowing they weren't gonna approve an extension...he clipped him.

20. BU Fan in Illinois

BU Fan in Illinois Active Member

Money:
    $322
    I am surprised that he lasted 4 years after the initial investigation. He wasn't able to land the same type of talent as he did prior to 2017 which hurt the program. I still think an NCAA punishment is still coming....