2021 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by UDDawg, Feb 15, 2021.

1. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,797
    Mind boggling to the IU fans who were convinced it was his DREAM JOB™️ This just slays me as it’s further proof Brad never had his bags packed waiting on IU to call.

2. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,587
    It's very interesting to see the discussion of this on the IU message boards. After the incredulity subsides, it's a grudging acceptance of the fact that, even for $70 million, he doesn't want to coach at IU. And if he doesn't want to coach there for $70 million, it is unlikely that he'll ever want to coach there.

Overall, they give props to Dolson for trying and are happy with the Woodson/Matta/Fife triumvirate . . . at least until the team actually plays a game.

BoyGeoff, Shimmy, Hinkle and 4 others like this.
  3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,642
    Keep in mind Hayward is soon done making that kind of money (he’s set for life and might become a coach or something) in the next few years. Brad has to know he’s going to be making 5m per year for the rest of his life. He’s what... 44? He coaches to 64 and that’s another 100M. Brad has staying power. Gordon might, but it’s much less certain. Ergo, a bit easier for Brad to take less money since he can do his job essentially forever.

4. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,603

I think IU at least has the right idea this time around - build an established, quality basketball staff as your foundation, even if you don't have the star coach to go with it. I'm not saying it will bring them wins, but it might bring them consistency, and that's what they need before anything else.

5. BUcheer

Money:
    $8,797
    Just bringing in Woodson/Fife will have benefits in the short run—but success will need to follow. The one thing giving me pause is the hiring of the AC who was caught up in the recruiting scandal. Why even go there?

UDDawg likes this.
  6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    I’m not following. Brad will never be worth close to what Gordon is worth, even if Brad spends 30 years in the NBA making 5-6 mil a year (especially when you discount those future earnings to today’s dollars or give Hayward an assumed return on money earned now). If 4M a year mattered enough to Hayward that his mansion in Fishers will sit empty for a few more years while he lives somewhere else to get a “little” more money, then surely 4M could often matter a lot to someone in Brad’s *relatively* poor position.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

ButlerGoalie likes this.
  7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    Until the culture changes, it’ll be the same program it’s been for the last 20 years. It’s just a toxic place. Is Woodson a culture reformer? I don’t know. But I doubt it.

Tentozen likes this.
  8. Shane Davis

Money:
    $1,603
    Sure, but unlike the last few candidates IU brought in, Woodson is a former alumni who likely cares about what Happens to IU's legacy before he's done coaching. He helped build IU into a blue blood back in the day, and you can bet he's emotionally invested to bring it back. He's already been around, including the NBA, so it's not like he's waiting for the next plateau to climb; he probably knows this will require a lot of patience to fix. To most, it was a job, but to him it could be a passion project. He's just getting paid to do it.

9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    All in good fun here, but what would you have to do to become a “former alumni?”

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg likes this.
  10. Shane Davis

Money:
    $1,603
    Yeah, I almost said former player, then I thought differently and I forgot to re-phrase it.

ButlerProf and 2xDawg like this.
  11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    I do that seemingly every day. I just really like this idea of having alum status retracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

12. Shane Davis

Money:
    $1,603
    Got anyone in mind? ;)

13. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $227
    This should be under Coaching Carousel. As of today, April 18,2021, 54 coaches Have either been fired, retired or have moved to another job of their own volition; this number really swells when consider how many people it takes to make a coaching staff. The moving companies do well!

14. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,587
    The assumption of many seems to be that most people choose employment based on which allows them to earn the most money. I suspect for most people that's not the case. For example, most of us could earn more if we worked our current job and added a second job, but we choose not to do it because we think the trade-off of free time for a little extra money is not worth it. For someone earning not quite enough, or just enough, to support his or her family, the calculus might be different, as they may feel compelled to take almost any employment that maximizes their earnings to allow them to support their family. Brad is already earning a very comfortable living doing something that he apparently finds very rewarding. It seems that it would take a huge amount of money--or some intangible other than money--for Brad to want to leave his current position. Although his income may be orders of magnitude greater than most, his apparent motivations are understandable.

Tark43, ButlerProf, 2xDawg and 3 others like this.
  15. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $535
    Brad is in a job where the isn't a ton of job security. At least he knows if he has a few bad seasons and the Celtics cut him lose, he'll still have college programs willing to pay him millions. If he were to leave now for a program like IU and get canned after four mediocre seasons, then what would be his next step?

16. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
    If the Celtics cut him loose there are a dozen other NBA teams that would come knocking at his door. He never has to coach college again if he doesn't want to.

Tark43, znelson15, Shimmy and 5 others like this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    I'm apparently not doing a good job communicating my point here.

Everyone likes more money than less money, all else equal, and everyone to varying degrees makes decisions based on that fact. 10 million per year guaranteed for seven years is a lot more than 6 million per year guaranteed for what is probably a much shorter period of time. Yet he still said no; I don't think most people - even very wealthy people - would make that same decision, because that's not what we see play out in practice. But clearly the non-monetary factors for Brad were significantly more favorable with the Celtics than IU. It's simply amazing to me that a basketball coaching job at place X can be that much better than at place Y for anyone, but clearly that's the case. That's all.

mwall787, Shimmy, NCJon and 2 others like this.
  18. BUcheer

Money:
    $8,797
    No doubt many factors played into Brad’s decision, but I firmly believe his affection for Butler, Barry, et al, was a consideration. He’s not unaware that going to IU would have been a disappointment for his Butler “family”. I think he truly meant it when he told his players he’d never coach for another college—and declining IU gives that more credence.

19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,273
    I believe his wife is still on the Board is she not?

20. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,226
    This wouldn't happen with Archie at the helm in B-town....but what a shock this would be....and the lathered up dolts in stripped pants would be impossible to take...

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops

·
    29m

I can’t wait til Chet Holmgren shocks the world and commits to Indiana in 10 minutes.