2021 Transfers

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by UDDawg, Jan 5, 2021.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,416
    Agreed. Grad transfers should be free to do whatever they want. Incentivizing degrees is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

tedfrye likes this.
  2. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $298
    Sure, I agree with incentivizing degrees. One problem is, factually, players expire eligibility and DO NOT earn degrees. It’s an issue at Butler. I can name at least three instances where players just walk after the season ends; don’t even finish classes much less degrees. That damages graduation rates. Its a real issue. I’d love to see NCAA degree completion rates for grad transfers. My best bet: 30%, though I’d hope it’s above 50%, which is not a bragging right

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon likes this.
  3. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,416
    100% this matters. A couple years after I graduated I was in school there was a woman on the women’s team who was from some rougher parts of the city she was from, I don’t think her parents were very involved, just her grandma, she may have been the only one in her family to finish high school, certainly to go to college. I remember after her sophomore year she got a job as a manager at a fast food restaurant and she was SO excited. It was to her a huge accomplishment.

She didn’t return for her senior year. She just had no idea how much better it could get. That one still hurts and angers me. She was the best, friendliest, but troubled. She was a handful of classes away from graduating. Never had an adult take her under their wing. I don’t know what the change is to make that degree mean something, but it NEEDS to. Be prioritized.

I also think scholarships should not expire. It’s fine for athletic eligibility to have a lifespan, but just because someone runs out of time playing their sport, they should not have to worry about getting their degree even if it takes 7 years.

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    Do graduate degree
    Don’t most post grad degrees take longer than a year? If so it shouldn’t surprise anyone that the grad transfer graduation rates are low. And are those even calculated into the GSR?

5. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,416
    Actually there’s an opportunity here. Everyone knows that there is substantial profit it Men’s basketball and football that often times Is reinvested into oftentimes frivolous expenditures to not look like profit.

Commission a big accounting firm to audit all d1 ad financial statements and come up with like a sliding scale (maybe based on conference or attendance) that assigns a small percent of revenue that must be contributed to a trust fund for athletes. Athletes will earn the money based upon degree completion progress, with “bonuses” as they complete one “academic year.”

So for example, if a school required 100 credits to graduate, they get x dollars for every credit 1-25. For credits 26-50 they get 1.5 x. For 51-75 they get 2x and 76-100 they get 3x.

That way you’re incentivizing people to stay and help themselves while also potentially improving the quality of sport. You also always will always have adequate funds to pay out what your expenses.

6. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $349
    Is Rice the best (realistic) available transfer for us? I haven’t kept up with it as much as I wanted to.

7. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,068
    How will you always have adequate funds? Most D1 Athletic Departments operate in the red... taking more money out only exacerbates the problem.

For every Penn State and Notre Dame there is a North Texas or Ball State...

NCJon likes this.
  8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,416
    Larger schools will foot the majority of the Bill. So let’s say you did on attendance, penn state would contribute 4% of their revenue, north Texas would contribute .5% or something like that .

And you’d always have enough funds bc you determine your pool, you determine the total credits earned and then divide by x. X isn’t fixed, it’s determined by dividing the pool by the total units.

9. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $298
    To be clear, I was specifically referring to graduate transfers. Student-athletes have to be enrolled in a degree seeking program. Even with a 1-year master degree to offer, basketball players (and others) can simply stop attending class once the season ends and their eligibility expires. It’s sad, but it happens.

10. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $298
    1-year master degrees are becoming increasingly common, for lots of reasons. They can fit nicely with graduate transfers. I’m fairly certain every student-athlete counts towards completion rates. Hence STUDENT status for eligibility

11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,169
  12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,416
    Right, I know but I’d argue that not getting a masters degree is of far less consequence than not getting a bachelors degree.

I do think my solution of paying them to complete their credits would help solve the problem.

One thing that’s a challenge though, is that if someone is a graduate transfer that is planning on going pro, it behooves them to take advantage of all opportunities they can to get better. It may be shortsighted, but these are also 23 year olds. Lots of times agents will foot the bill for specialized training in the spring after the season with guys like Joey, but oh basically a full time basis. That means these guys will be in Arizona for a month to six weeks, and while I completely agree with you, I see where they are coming from.

13. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,685
  14. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,885
    Yep.

15. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $211
    Maybe he will base his next school choice on climate or school colors, etc

Nville Dog likes this.
  16. ButlerHoopsFan

ButlerHoopsFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $711
    AAC got rid of intraconference transfer rules today

17. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,315
    New name...big list though and doing the draft process thing:

18. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,110
    You can definitely make the "complementary piece of the puzzle" pitch here!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

willisbrown likes this.
  19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,086
    This dude has to be 30 years old by now.

mwall787 and bmradio99 like this.
  20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,416
    He puts up offensive numbers but I kinda think he sucks