2022-23 Schedule

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by NCJon, May 18, 2022.

1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,643
    As I've done in the past, I thought I'd start a thread about next year's schedule. News should start to come out soon about some of the matchups Butler will have this year. I'll update this initial post as we learn more.

Non-conference:
    Nov. 7 - New Orleans - Hinkle Field House
    Nov. 23-25 - Battle 4 Atlantis - possible matchups: BYU, Dayton, Kansas, NC State, USC, Tennessee and Wisconsin
    Nov. 30 - Big East-Big 12 Battle - Kansas State - Hinkle Fieldhouse
    Dec. 10 - California - Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, Calif.
    TBD - Penn State - Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, Penn.

Conference:
    Connecticut
    @Connecticut
    Creighton
    @Creighton
    DePaul
    @DePaul
    Georgetown
    @Georgetown
    Marquette
    @Marquette
    Providence
    @Providence
    Seton Hall
    @Seton Hall
    St. John's
    @St. John's
    Villanova
    @Villanova
    Xavier
    @Xavier

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,983
    Nothing like getting the least interesting team in the entire Big 12!

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

dawgs2014 likes this.
  3. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,129
    The Battle 4 Atlantis is going to be fun to watch. Facing the National Champions, Bates vs. NC State, Eric Hunter Jr. vs Rudi Williams could be just a few of the headlines for Butler.

AZRPh likes this.
  4. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,314
    Some of these matchups are hilariously one sided - I mean Georgetown/Texas Tech (!!)...can't wait to watch the Hoyas score 35 points in a game.

If I had my druthers, I would have gone: Baylor - Creighton, Kansas - Villanova, Texas Tech - UConn, Texas - Xavier, Providence - TCU (stays the same), Butler - Iowa State, SH - OSU, Marquette - OU, St. John's - WVU, KSU - Georgetown.

I think if you are trying to match like teams talent-wise, Iowa State or OSU would have been much better for Butler.

bmradio99 and 2xDawg like this.
  5. FriarDawg

FriarDawg Active Member

Money:
    $283
    A win is a win and if it’s against a team in a conference which is considered the best it’s all good. I know it’s not the big resume game but to throttle K State I think will pay off just as much as a close game with Iowa St. I’m just excited too watch this team. Side note …. Half way thru a bottle of Woodford on the beach in Santa Rosa, FL. 82 degrees with not a cloud in the sky. Go Dawgs

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

CMG, Tentozen and willisbrown like this.
  6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,983
    Oh I don’t care from a resume standpoint. We don’t need it and this is actually probably best from a scheduling standpoint for us. Our schedule is too hard at this point with the Atlantis tourney and 21 conference games, minimum. Strategically, I’m a proponent of going mostly cupcake-city in the non-con, honestly.

I’m just saying that as a fan looking for interesting games, this is as bad as it could’ve gone.

FriarDawg likes this.
  7. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $763
    Curiosity Question. I recall that the Gavitt line-up is typically announced ~mid/late June. Since BU is in the Battle for Atlantis, will BU get a Gavitt game or be excluded? To Hinkle's point, given the known schedule to date, BU's non-con schedule is NOT a cakewalk. If BU adds a Gavitt ROAD game, you are beginning to see a very challenging non-con schedule even with the Coaching/Player upgrades. I would concur with Hinkle that resume building in non-con for BU would have a very limited return come NCAA selection time.

8. NCJon

Money:
    $9,643
    Most years it's been announced somewhere between late April to mid-May. The last two years the announcement came out later given the uncertainty created by Covid. I think we'll probably hear something soon.

I have no inside information, but I expect Butler to play this year. Part of the original deal with the Big Ten was that each Big East team would play at least six games over the eight years of the agreement. Butler's only had four games, with one being scheduled but cancelled, going into the last year of the agreement.

Creighton and DePaul are the only two Big East teams with six games already. Georgetown, Villanova and Xavier join Butler with only having four, so I expect those four to each get a game. St. John's, Seton Hall, Marquette and Providence each have had five games and Connecticut has had none. I think the other four Big East entries will come from that group.

Gregory Roach likes this.
  9. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $763
    Cool. Thanks for the details. That helps a lot.

NCJon likes this.
  10. NCJon

Money:
    $9,643
    Also three of Butler's four Gavitt Games have been at home. I figure the Gavitt Game will likely be a road game.

11. NCJon

Money:
    $9,643
    Since I was already looking at it, more on the Gavitt Games.

Each Big Ten team was expected to play a minimum of four games in the series when the original agreement was made and this is the last year. Michigan State has only played twice (and was scheduled to in the cancelled 2020 games), so they're almost certainly one of the Big Ten entries. Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn State and Purdue have all played three games so far. My guess is those six are also the Big Ten's entries this year and then the last entry comes from the rest of the Big Ten teams, which have all played four games.

Indiana's already had three home games and OSU has had two, so we probably don't get a Butler at OSU or Butler at Indiana game like I think many of us here might like.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get Butler at Northwestern or Butler at Penn State.

12. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,135
    Butler has played Northwestern 5 times since the 2008-09 season. Butler and Penn State haven't met since the 1991-92 season, when they actually played each other twice.

NCJon, 2xDawg and bmradio99 like this.
  13. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,135
    Butler will still have room on the schedule for about 6 "cupcakes", if that's what they want to do.

14. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,115
    My man....enjoy dude. I will be down that way in July.

FriarDawg likes this.
  15. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,115
    Atlantis, as per usual, is stacked.

I'm hoping for many cupcakes in the non con.

16. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,842
    Hopefully all D-1 cupcakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,976
    Nice; at a Sales Meeting for the week in Sarasota, and then wife is flying down Friday for a long weekend before returning Monday. Golfed today; dinner cruise tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

FriarDawg and willisbrown like this.
  18. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,701
    WHAT?! This will have huge national interest as the rematch of the 2010 Elite 8 matchup!

19. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,701
    If it’s Butler AT Penn State when I used to sit courtside and now have moved away from anywhere near State College, I’m going to be so pissed.

Go to Northwestern. It’s a 3.5 hour bus ride and can be counted as the return game from whatever year Kamar beat them with that elbow J

troggy likes this.
  20. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,823
    Gah—You just know we’ll get sent to Bloomington when IU is on the upswing or maybe OSU for the Holtmann/Thad angle.

SCbulldogsfan4life and mwall787 like this.