2022-23 Schedule

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by NCJon, May 18, 2022.

1. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,383
    I don't understand how you can use only analytics to rank teams before at least a fair amount of games have been played. There are just too many intangibles. Especially for teams like Butler with a new coaching staff and 4 upper class transfers that are playing with a new team. That being said I will renew my Kenpom subscription even though I still don't have a clue what a bunch of the stats even mean.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037

His preseason rankings are mostly pretty good, and the reason you can make projections before the season starts is that most of of the time, most of the roster returns as does the staff, and you can assume an average/normal level of player development. And for transfers you can use the prior year’s data and for freshmen you can get a rough approximation of likely skill using recruiting rankings.

In general, this method works pretty well. Most of the time the preseason ranking is in the ball park for how teams finish up.

All of that being said, sometimes there are big misses. He had Butler wildly overrated the last few seasons versus how they ended up. How did that happen? I’d suspect mostly because of abysmal player development (below what a model would suspect), plus injuries, plus Butler’s success from 2019-2020 being unduly baked into the rankings.

Butler is now primed for a big miss this year because it was such an abnormal offseason versus the recent past, and in the opposite direction. His methodology now bakes in the recent, terrible results and is not primed to account an all new staff, a new system, likely much better player development, significant roster changes, etc.

But it’s not really an indictment on his preseason projections as a whole. Again, they’re mostly really good.

troggy likes this.
  3. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,804
    Does anyone know how long our contract is with Upland Brewing?

4. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,414
    I was wondering the same after I saw a story on the news that they've got some huge big deal with “IU”.

Tell em to get lost if IU is going to be their main focus. Plenty of other good local breweries around for the more upscale stuff.

Me, I’ll be fine with MillerLite regardless . You dont get a body like this drinking that fancy ****

5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,804
    I honestly just don’t like their beer very much. Like you said, there are so many other good, local breweries.

I’d love to eventually see Guggman Haus sell beer there. It’s local and owned by Butler grads. And I think it has some of the best beer in Indy.

6. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,875
    ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  7. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,217
    Upland started in Bloomington so makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  8. HinkleBucket

HinkleBucket New Member

Money:
    $13
    Does anyone happen to know what early season tournament we will be in for 2023-2024 season? Not sure if this has already been announced or not.

9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,485
    Great Alaskan Shootout.

PSUButlerFan and BUcheer like this.
  10. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,302
    I seem to recall seeing something about the tournament at Disney.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

11. BUcheer

Money:
    $9,217
    Was thinking Ft. Myers Tip off?

12. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,218
    Our schedule has fully evolved. 2022-23 is the first season since at least 2001 and probably in the 125-year history of Butler basketball that Butler will not (unless in a post-season tournament) play against a team from Indiana.

(N.B.: In its first season, 1896-97, Butler (under the name Butler Christians) was 1-0, defeating the Indianapolis YMCA team, 13-1. So even in its initial, one-game season, Butler played an Indiana team. That also was Butler's only perfect season.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1896–97_Butler_Christians_men's_basketball_team

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/butler/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  13. Albick

Money:
    $3,218
    BUcheer likes this.
  14. BUcheer

Money:
    $9,217
  15. Albick

Money:
    $3,218
    That Cal home and home series isn't looking like such a great idea right now. Cal is 0-5 this year, including losses to mid-majors UC Davis (Kenpom 168), UC San Diego (310), Southern (228), and Texas State (187) as well as Kansas State (56). Butler has no opportunity for a real quality non-conference win except in Atlantis. Of course, there will be plenty of chances for quality wins once the conference season starts.

16. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,574
    Don’t we play Kansas st also this year at hinkle?

Agree cal is very very bad

17. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    Yeah, can’t lose to Cal(205 KP) & winless. Kansas St. (54 KP) & unbeaten would be a solid win. Yale (105 KP) & unbeaten would be a decent win.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

znelson15 likes this.
  18. Albick

Money:
    $3,218
    We do play Kansas State, but a home win against a lower tier Big 12 team (currently has the lowest kenpom ranking in the Big 12 at 55), which is, at best, an NCAAT bubble team, is a decent win but certainly won't turn any heads. Kansas State currently projects to be a quad 2 game when played (their current NET is 69) and is very unlikely to move to quad 1. If K-State does poorly in conference, they could drop below 75 in NET, making it a quad 3 game.

znelson15 likes this.
  19. Albick

Money:
    $3,218
    Kansas State and Yale both are decent teams, but neither will be a quad 1 win. The Kansas State game will likely end up as quad 2. Yale is currently and is likely to remain a quad 3 making it more of a must not lose game rather than a quality win. The Penn State loss currently is a quad 2 game but could move to quad 1 before the season ends. Our only legit shots at a quad 1 win during the noncon are the games at Atlantis. That said, we will have a number of quad 1 opportunities once the conference season starts.

BURph92 likes this.
  20. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,585
    Isn’t quad 1 1-75 when away. PSU is 31 in kenpom do it would be currently quad 1 since a true road game