2022 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by bumba, Mar 5, 2022.

1. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,522
    Thats because people here have lofty expectations. These guys are getting state football school money. Most/all of the Big East can’t compete at that money level - you need someone who is loyal like Wright or Few.

ButlerProf likes this.
  2. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,326
    So Seton Hall's Athletic Director left (retired?) a couple years ago. He was the former AD at Iona that brought Willard along w/ him all those years ago. Now, the new AD and Willard get along fine and there's no issue there as to why he's leaving. The guy got Willard a new practice facility *sigh*. The interesting thing about the new AD is guess where he used to work??? Saint Peter's. Shaheen Holloway, lock it in.

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,217
    I posted something in the wrong thread and I edited it but it made me put something in the edit so I am putting something in the edit.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    NCJon likes this.
  4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,031
  5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,349
    “I have an agent who I haven’t talked to yet. I don’t know who he’s talking to, I have absolutely no idea. But when I get home tomorrow, I’ll talk to my agent and discuss things with my agent.”

That's what Willard said. My guess is (1) they're either really close to a deal with Maryland, or (2) he was using it to try and deflect from getting destroyed by TCU.

6. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    Miller is expected to be in trouble with the NCAA later this year pending his investigation but of course that doesn’t matter to X.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,522
    If the student section doesn’t do something with this next year, I’ll be a very disappointed alumnus.

8. tobystorrs

tobystorrs Active Member

Money:
    $175
    OMG, are we going to end up having to deal with an improved X team coached by Miller AND a Seton Hall team potentially coached by Shaheen Holloway? Thank god Ewing is sticking around.

NCJon, znelson15 and cornette33 like this.
  9. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,367
    It will be the battle of Ewing and Jordan

Who can get the most conference wins

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,218
  11. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638
    3908C873-465F-4F41-85AF-A8346BEA76A0.jpeg

This news is kind of old and this guy's been wrong before, but it at least shows that a head coach stepping back down to AC is not a foreign concept.

12. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,768
    Holloway is in his fourth season as a head coach, all at St. Peter's. Here is their record under Holloway:

2019 10-22 (conference: 6-12, 11th (last) place)
    2020 18-12 (14-6, 2nd place)
    2021 14-11 (10-8, tied for 5th place)
    2022 21-11 (14-6, 2nd place)

Overall record: 63-56 (conference: 44-34)

This season, the team was 2-5 in nonconference games (including one win over a non-D1 team). Their losses were to VCU, St. John's, Providence, Stony Brook (Kenpom 216) and an 11-point loss to St. Francis NY (322). In the conference regular season, they were 14-6, finishing in second place, three games behind Pitino's Iona team (17-3). They lost in conference play twice each to Iona and Siena (Kenpom 240) and once each to Canisius (261) and Rider (226).

Going into the conference tournament, their record was 16-11. They've had a nice five-game run, winning their conference tournament (without having to face Iona again) and a couple of great performances in their NCAAT games against Kentucky and Murray State.

Based solely on his record, Holloway seems like a very solid mid-major coach. But for his team's performance in two games this past week, it is unlikely that his name would have shot to the top of any high-major coaching lists. A high-major AD looking at him has to ask himself: which is more representative of Holloway's coaching abilities: the two games this week or the previous 117 games?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  13. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,895
    Would be totally stunned should this happen. As to a “foreign concept” I can’t come up with a single situation where this has happened?

dawgs2014 likes this.
  14. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Well-Known Member

Money:
    $693
    93267911-0DA8-4517-B5D9-8972EA86B025.jpeg

For what it is worth.

I don’t mind keeping LaVall. I don’t mind making a change. I am annoyed though that, at this point, we don’t know either way what is happening.

NCJon and ConnersvilleBulldog like this.
  15. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638
  16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,217
    Would be a huge mistake for him. It's in a death spiral with what's coming. He's a promising and hell of a head coach. He can do better. Even if that means another year at Murray. Taking this job...yes the money will be outstanding and he'll live comfortably for a long time but...it's something, as it stands, that is not a great decision for someone like him.

And if LSU can get him, damn they are witches. Then again, they have the money to make all the other issues seem very distant.

A few more days and Barry can come out and say "what? There wasn't anyone available for a change."

Idiot.

NCJon, PharmDDawg and 2xDawg like this.
  17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,031

tlp63 likes this.
  18. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    We all knew this was coming but what a terrible hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

minnehut, estar20dawg and UDDawg like this.
  19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,704
    It's hard to say Willard is an upgrade over Turgeon. I mean I know they didn't fire Turgeon, but they sure as heck weren't sorry to see him go.

20. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,744