2022 Europe Trip

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Albick, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Igdawg

Igdawg Member

Money:
    $38
    Can't ask for more than the team accomplished. 4 wins in 4 games without any new injuries that we know of (haven't read everything yet but didn't see anything mentioned during my glance). I have to think this trip did a lot of good for the players and coaches getting acclimated and hopefully built some confidence. We have a lot of work to do, but this season and our future look to be head and shoulders above what most of us were expecting a year ago. So excited and pumped!

2. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,739
    Willie Veasley didn’t even attempt a 3PT until his junior year. Just came in off the bench, made a couple awesome rebound putbacks each game and played 100 on defense. I agree that could definitely be his immediate role and there is room for growth down the road.

jeff, #60, NCJon and 2 others like this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,321
    Being deep enough that we're questioning where/if a talent like PT will play much or not is a good thing. He's still a little raw in some phases and in others he's ready to roll IMO. He'll have his spurts this year and play more if/when there are injuries on the wing. You can't get his athleticism everyday...so I'm not worried. He has a few great teachers now and we'll see him blossom under them.

I agree with others, all in all, happy for the 4 wins and I'm sure some amazing bonding for a team that needed that with the new additions.

Tentozen, BUcheer, znelson15 and 5 others like this.
  4. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    And that's the thing. These games seemed like more of a scrimmage than actual college basketball games. If PT is not a good 3pt shooter, Thad isn't going to let him shoot 3s by the time the season rolls around. Instead, Thad will probably find ways to capitalize on his energy and athleticism. Will that be enough to earn him PT (no pun intended) this season? Well, that just depends on what other players are bringing to the table and how everyone's respective skills blend together. By the time the new season starts, and especially by the time conference play starts, I expect players to be established in and comfortable with their particular roles.

In that sense, I'm expecting/hoping the 2022 Butler Bulldogs resemble the teams of years past where each player knew EXACTLY what their job was, executed it to perfection, and didn't try to be anything they were not. If a player wanted to take on an additional role or expand his current role, he had to first develop the necessary skills. We haven't seen enough of that mentality in the last 5 years, so it will be a welcome change. Guys like Wilmoth and Tate should definitely benefit from more clearly-delineated roles.

Tentozen, bmradio99 and willisbrown like this.
  5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,258
    Didn’t Pierce shoot a pretty high percentage from 3 in high school? Think he also shot well from the stripe too if I remember correctly.

I have no idea what his role in for butler will ultimately be, but I think it’s weird to assume he can’t shoot because he shot poorly for a game in Greece.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,442
    Yes, we've entered crazy land. He was almost a 40% 3 point shooter his senior year while being triple teamed and also shot 80+ from the foul line...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen, #60 and 2xDawg like this.
  7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,000
    By the time PT was a senior he had developed a nearly unstoppable fadeaway jumper from 15 to 17 ft. as a go to move, other than dunking. We have yet to see that on display in game competition thus far.

8. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $191
    40% from three with that size and amazing athleticism would be a four or five star . Interesting a fade away which is what one uses to not get blocked.

HoosierDawg likes this.
  9. seadawg

Money:
    $10,000
    Much of that was a product his team as a senior. The team was challenged physically and limited in skills. PT was the focus defensively for opponents.

10. estar20dawg

Money:
    $7,442
    He didn't play AAU do to the fact um he was winning state titles & setting records in track which is why we had a chance to get him...

Tentozen, #60 and NCJon like this.
  11. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,926
    FWIW, LMU beat the same Athens team 94-65 today.

12. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,293
    We wore them out and demoralized them....that's why!

13. seadawg

Money:
    $10,000
    Actually, PT played some AAU but it was very limited and local, due to covid and summer track.

14. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,684
    Maybe, and then perhaps maybe not...

15. estar20dawg

Money:
    $7,442
    Just mostly into his senior year, almost nothing his first 3 year, true there were a couple local events his junior year but zero travel

16. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,014
    Yes, but LMU is ranked 7th in the preseason rankings last I looked…

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

HoosierDawg and 2xDawg like this.
  17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,380

znelson15 likes this.
  18. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,741
    The Athens boys passed and moved w/o the ball like 'Dogs teams of yore. Butler played like an AAU team. It was hard to watch sometimes. Especially defense.

On offense there was a lot of "shoot first, ask questions later. Not a whole lot of passing, and 80% of what passes there were came from someone who had just left their feet. What is up with all that? Is it on purpose? Has TM signed off on it?

I was pretty sure Athens was going to pull ahead late in the third. They were playing better ball at that point.

I'm a bit disappointed. I didn't see the "Mark of Matta" I expected to see. I thought Tate looked good throughout. Definitely a better PG than Hunter, at least the last two games. Eric barely has any handle at all. Did he dribble like that at Purdue? Very, very early yet but looking at him right now I can't see him starting.

Wilmoth had some really good moments but he was inconsistent--made at least one bone head play. Still, overall I like his improvement.

Wish Luko could have played and represented Butler on the rock-solid foundations front.

There were a lot of travel calls in these two televised games. And then a few obvious walks that were missed.

I almost thought that maybe European officials might call carrying (since NCAA refs have given up) but nope. Egregious. More AAU fingerprints. Or maybe Nike.

There's a bunch of talent on this roster and Matta has shown the ability to win so... I hope it's just early daze.

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,258
    Geesh. Don’t like that.

At the same time, we also played guys who aren’t going to play, we didn’t have two likely starters, and the staff has indicated they have not put in much of the offense yet.

But still, don’t love that.

HoosierDawg likes this.
  20. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,045
    Remember, Thad has said they haven't installed much of their system on offense or defense. That plus all the new faces means most of this trip was go out and learn how to play with each other on the fly and bond off the court. I honestly take away less from this trip than I do the normal preseason exhibition games (other than it was awesome to get some Butler basketball in August).