2022 Europe Trip

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Albick, Aug 2, 2022.

1. bu97

bu97 Super Moderator

Money:
    $1,062
    I'm guessing the lack of streaming has a lot to do with not wanting to put video out there for opponents to scout any sooner than Fox $ports dictates, particularly with a new coach/system. I'm pretty sure that's the same reason none of the exhibition games have been available the past several years as well.

bumba and Blue's Brother like this.
  2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,316
    I’d be absolutely stunned if they gave a rats ass whether or not New Orleans had any film or not

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

PSUButlerFan, 2xDawg and ButlerFan89 like this.
  3. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,790
    Surprised not to really notice Simas. Maybe next game.

4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,029
    He sprained his ankle in recently in practice on campus, so he’s not playing on the trip, but he’s still there which is good for him.

5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348
    Agree, I think the year BU went to Australia the only game that was streamed was from Jackson Aldridge's hometown or previous school (or something along those lines).

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    The good news is I’m not sure we could’ve scored 95 on the intramural teams last year.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

7. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $707
    Hard to make any conclusive statements from the highlights. But this thought did occur to me. This isn't a rebuilding year. It's not like we have a new head coach who needs some time to adjust to a new roster or any other typical first year growing pains.

This is a roster with not only experience and depth, but real talent that hasn't been able to produce consistently whether it's been injury or poor coaching in the past.

The only thing I am unsure about is jump shooting. Otherwise all the pieces seem to be there and we have one of the best coaches in the country leading the way.

8. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $951
    wishing my $10 bet at +40,000 was $1000

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022 at 9:41 AM
  9. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,845
    One small thing I noticed… in the shot where Matta was on the whiteboard in the team huddle, it looked like all players were intently paying attention to him. I noticed a few times last year (and once Jan hit I mostly only watched the weekday games, so maybe I’m off) that LaVall was in the same spot and guys were sort of staring off into space…

Maybe I’m completely missing this, but it seems Matta is commanding respect a bit more than Lavall did.

10. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $951
    Yeah, I noticed the same last year. It seemed like a lot of the guys deeply loved LaVall, but the losing really seemed to drag them down.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,029
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    And this was without two likely starters - Ali and Simas - who each have minor tweaks (they’re both fine).

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    Relatedly, what does everyone think about starters and minutes projections? (Wasn’t there a thread on this somewhere? Apologies if so - couldn’t find it.)

From what I’ve heard about Tate in practice this summer (and backed up based on his stats this first game), I’m starting to change my hopes for him and thus my minutes forecast. But then suddenly the minutes at the 1-3 spots are pretty crowded. Obviously Hunter is going to play a lot - 30 minutes, minimum. How do you divvy the other 90 minutes among Chuck, Tate, Simas, and Taylor? Does one of those four end up kind of shut out? Do they each play 20 ish mins?

The 80 minutes at the 4/5 are going to be interesting, too. All 40 of the center minutes are accounted for by Thomas and Manny, you have to think, with each probably playing 20 or so. So then you’re dividing 40 minutes among Ali and Wilmoth and Hughes, and given shooting is our biggest hole, I’ve got to think Ali plays a lot. But Hughes is a work horse and has such a great motor, and Wilmoth is making a concerted effort to be a deep threat. Getting to the best regular and cohesive rotation is going to be a challenge for the staff.

14. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,148
  15. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,917
    bwesson15, BHayden, 2xDawg and 3 others like this.
  16. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,710
    No... NO! not my Luko! How could this be HOW? Oh my God, I told him to NEVER start playing the basket-ball. "This playtime game will be nothing but sadness and tears for you Simas," I told him. I TOLD HIM. Oh God... what will we do? PLEASE tell me, what ever will we DO? Is this the end of the basket-ball at the Butler University? Is this, maybe, the end of all the basket-ball everywhere? Luko, oh Luko, what have you DONE?

I cry.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022 at 1:28 PM
  17. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,169
  18. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,710
    I think it may have been suggested to the Italians that they make sure to not hurt any Bulldogs.

19. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,474
    That's more like what I was expecting...

20. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,474
    Another interesting quote was him acknowledging his two playing years left. For those assuming/hoping he'd hang up his sneakers after four years, it's not happening. Doesn't mean he'll play year 5 for Butler, but this means perhaps an opening in 2023 from somewhere else...