22-23 Roster ??

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BUBandGeek, Apr 1, 2022.

1. BUBandGeek

BUBandGeek Active Member

Money:
    $103
    I haven't posted here or even read the board in a long time (life, work, etc.), so if this has been done recently, I apologize. But I noticed that the scholarship chart post in the Recruiting forum hasn't been updated in a long time now.

I do not follow the recruiting trail extensively, so don't fault me for asking: who do we KNOW is coming in next year (is there anyone? Obviously with the coaching change it's all up in the air).

I've got all of this past season's roster below, with notes after their names about their status. Do I have all of this correct (as of 4/1/22)?
    • DJ HUGHES - Rising Sophomore, 3 years left
      FRESHMAN INDIANAPOLIS, IND. LAWRENCE NORTH
    • JAYDEN TAYLOR - Rising Sophomore, 3 years left
      FRESHMAN INDIANAPOLIS, IND. PERRY MERIDIAN
    • PIERCE THOMAS - Rising RS Freshmen, 4 years left
      FRESHMAN BROWNSBURG, IND. BROWNSBURG
    • SIMAS LUKOSIUS - Presumably Gone, in the transfer portal
      FRESHMAN KAUNAS, LITHUANIA VILNIUS MINTIES
    • CHUCK HARRIS - Rising Junior with 2 years left
      SOPHOMORE ASHBURN, VA. GONZAGA COLLEGE HS (D.C.)
    • MYLES WILMOTH - Rising Junior with 2 years left
      SOPHOMORE CHESTNUT RIDGE, N.Y. ST. ANDREW'S SCHOOL (R.I.)
    • MYLES TATE - Rising Junior with 2 years left
      SOPHOMORE ROEBUCK, S.C. DORMAN
    • JOHN-MICHAEL MULLOY - Rising Senior with 1 year left
      JUNIOR CARMEL, IND. CARMEL
    • MIKE PARKER - Gone, graduated, participated in Sr. day, and in the transfer portal (?)
      REDSHIRT JUNIOR WILMINGTON, N.C. COASTAL CHRISTIAN SALISBURY
    • BRYCE GOLDEN - Presumably Gone, in the transfer portal
      SENIOR RICHMOND, VA. SAINT JAMES SCHOOL (MD.)
    • BO HODGES - Gone, no more eligibility
      REDSHIRT SENIOR NASHVILLE, TENN. MAPLEWOOD EAST TENNESSEE STATE
    • CHRISTIAN DAVID - Gone, no more eligibility
      REDSHIRT SENIOR MILTON, ONTARIO VERMONT ACADEMY (VT.)
    • AARON THOMPSON - Gone, no more eligibility
      GRADUATE STUDENT GLENN DALE, MD. PAUL VI CATHOLIC (VA.)
    • TY GROCE - Gone, no more eligibility
      GRADUATE STUDENT YPSILANTI, MICH. LINCOLN EASTERN MICHIGAN
    • BRYCE NZE - Gone, no more eligibility
      GRADUATE STUDENT HARTLAND, WIS. ARROWHEAD MILWAUKEE
    • JAIR BOLDEN - Gone, no more eligibility
      GRADUATE STUDENT BROOKLYN, N.Y. WESTTOWN SCHOOL (PA.) SOUTH CAROLINA
    A lot can change quickly with the right hire and some key graduate transfers, but I have to say it seems pretty bleak to be losing over half of your roster and your HC all at once.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    seadawg likes this.
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,584
    A project named Turnbull is the only get for 2022. And my guess is he decommits, which, whatever.

So yes as of right now we have 7 players on scholarship. And that of course will change with the coaching news.

Only thing you're not accurate on is that I believe Tate/Harris/Wilmoth all have 3 years left of eligibility because the 2020-2021 season doesn't count against eligibility.

Needless to say, a lot of work to be done for the new coach.

ButlerProf likes this.
  3. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,671
    That’s 7 more than LSU! Haha

DawgDude, cornette33 and willisbrown like this.
  4. cjov44

cjov44 New Member

Money:
    $42
    God I am so sad about Simas. Was easily my favorite player. He’s gonna grow so much the next 3 years. Really hoping next staff makes it a priority to bring him back

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

cornette33, Tentozen and tobystorrs like this.
  5. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,959
    As we currently sit here in limbo, I'm curious if all the people who said they were done if Butler didn't get rid of Lavall are back to supporting the program again. Or are they now shifting to see who is hired or what players remain.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

seadawg likes this.
  6. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,773
    I used to be a season ticket holder when I lived in Indy. I went to every game, left work early, took Saturdays off work when we would play a marquee game. Now I live a few hours away no longer a season ticket holder but still make the drive to a few games/yr. Honestly, I wasn’t going to come to games anymore as it was a hassle. I don’t have kids yet so it’s not so much about the “family atmosphere” as it is I just love Butler Basketball. The product on the floor was so incredibly frustrating to watch that I felt like I wasted 6 hours of my life coming to games just to watch that garbage. I told myself I wouldn’t put myself through that anymore unless something changes. Even had I lived in Indy, I don’t think I would have renewed tickets because it was that painful to watch. I’m not asking for Ws. Im just asking for effort and good basketball. This gives me a reason to look up some dates next season and spend 6-8 hours of my day centered around a basketball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. BUdawgsfan04

BUdawgsfan04 Active Member

Money:
    $414
    Jayden Taylor said he would "weigh his options". He posted a video of him with Thad and it's safe to say he is staying. Thank goodness

8. WDLTH

WDLTH Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $236
    How many roster slots do we have? I know it's 13 total spots, but IF Golden comes back, he wouldn't count against the 13 right, since this would be his extra year. I am not expecting Golden back, but I think he's the only person on our current roster that would allow us to go over 13. Is that correct?

If everyone comes back, and we add Turnbull, that's 9 spots (correct me if I'm wrong). So if we don't Crean anyone or no one leaves in the portal then we have 4 open spots right? I realize there are a ton of moving pieces, but I wanted to orient myself to where we currently stand. Thanks!

9. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $885
    Has anyone seen an update as to Sima's intention to really transfer post the hiring of Matta?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  10. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,532
    All scholarship players now count against the 13. Last year was the only year that "super seniors" didn't count against the 13. Golden will count against any roster next year.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

troggy and WDLTH like this.
  11. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Well-Known Member

Money:
    $819
    Image1649200714.170333.jpg

Look who’s staying. And look who liked it immediately…

troggy, Tentozen, znelson15 and 17 others like this.
  12. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,803
    Nice find...

iluvsnow and Insane Dawg like this.
  13. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,334
    I know we all want Luko back, but let's not take the significance of keeping Taylor for granted. I know he never actually entered the portal, but I'm sure he had to be re-recruited. He is an excellent defender, and his offensive consistency should only improve with time, especially under Thad. I'm looking just as forward to watching him grow as I am anyone else on the team (including Luko if he stays). He may just have the highest ceiling of anyone currently on the roster.

14. BU4lyfe

BU4lyfe Member

Money:
    $78
    Tentozen, NCJon, 2xDawg and 7 others like this.
  15. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,424
    I love me some Luko. That dude’s game is something we haven’t seen at Butler. With that said, Jayden Taylor is a future first team all BE player. He’ll make a Kelan-like freshman to sophomore year jump. I want both Luko and Taylor in a Butler uni the next 3 years. But if I was forced to choose, it’d be Taylor. Still really hoping Thad can convince Luko to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen, znelson15 and cornette33 like this.
  16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,413
    Oh no doubt. Jayden was our most talented offensive player. Simas was fun as hell, but Jayden can be that dude.

bwesson15, BNiche, Tentozen and 3 others like this.
  17. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,086
    Probably going to be bashed for this but I am just going to say it. The people I want to stay.

Tier 1 (must keep) - Taylor and Luko

Tier 2 (please stay) - Chuck and Wilmoth

tier 3 (happy he stays) - Hugh’s

The rest I wouldn’t mind if they wanted to stay but to me they are “meh” at best.

18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,413
    Tate definitely falls into that tier 2 for me.

He’s a jump shot away from being a really nice player and he had a jump shot in high school.

19. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,105
    Pierce Thomas is also a Tier 2 for me. I still want to see how that athleticism translates. Even if he doesn't break out I feel like he could be a solid 3-D guy who can guard 1-4.

20. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,334
    I'll play:

Tier 1 (I'm Begging You To Stay) - Taylor, Luko
    Tier 2 (I Would Like For You To Stay) - Chuck, Thomas, Tate
    Tier 3 (I Guess You Can Stay) - Mulloy, Hughes, Wilmoth
    Tier 4 (Transfer to the MAC, Please) - None

I might update this listat some point. Due to our lack of size and depth, I have nobody in Tier 4. Depending on if we can land some solid transfers, I'd be willing to move some guys from Tier 3 to Tier 4, but not yet. I think our guards and wings have a lot of upside, so I'd love for all of them to stick around.

tobystorrs likes this.