22-23 Roster ??

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BUBandGeek, Apr 1, 2022.

1. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,366
    Was thinking the same thing. I think he'll get beat on some drives, but may be athletic enough to warrant some minutes at the 4

2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,313
    Based on TM's post game remarks it may be that he was attempting to build some mental toughness by having the starters play extended minutes. Otherwise, PT and Turnbull definitely should have played more. The assumption being this was not an oversight.

3. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,883
    This is consistent with what I've heard, as well.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,687
    FWIW, I think Manny has three years of eligibility (counting this season) assuming he gets a medical redshirt for last season when he was hurt in the first minute of the first game. As noted by someone (Hinkle?) on this board, Manny graduated from high school in 2018, so he may not be interested in staying around until 2025, but that should be an option for him.

5. HoosierDawg

HoosierDawg Active Member

Money:
    $218
    I believe you’re right! He may have to apply to the NCAA for his 6th year, but with the injury year & COVID year that should easily be granted. IF he wants it, that is. He’s a senior academically but only a sophomore in eligibility!

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,883
    Our starters did a fair job of playing competitively with TN for the first ~24 or 26 minutes and the first ~ 14 minutes with NC State. It's reasonable to believe that adding two players, both of whom were prominent figures in their teams making the tournament last year, albeit in different conferences, would give us a solid 7 person rotation. Wilmoth and Pierce could show that they could add valuable minutes, as well. They would also keep us from being undersized and could provide match-up versatility. Whether and when guys will be available, well, that's another matter.

We need a packed and energized crowd this Wednesday for a lot of reasons. Let's get this next one and start building some momentum heading into conference play!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  7. DawgDude

DawgDude Well-Known Member

Money:
    $869
    Question for anyone- Who is Butler’s point guard? Who is Butler’s on floor leader?

8. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $666
  9. Albick

Money:
    $3,687
    On paper, Hunter is the point guard. In reality, it's point by committee. Hunter is only third in assists with 21 behind Simas (30) and Harris (25). Individually, no one is in the top 10 in the conference but the team effort puts us in middle of the pack in the Big East.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    cluelessdawg likes this.
  10. cluelessdawg

cluelessdawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $439
    Hunter is a textbook combo guard. We knew this when he came on. No one should have ever expected him to play like a true PG. He's comparable to George Hill in my mind. A guy who can play the point, but isn't the distributer/facilitator type. While it may be beneficial to have that kind of player (like I was hoping Tate would be off the bench), it's also nice to have a guy who can create some offense and hit 3s, especially on this year's team.

Shane Davis likes this.
  11. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,862
    It can kinda feels likes that's by design anyway. The way Matta's been running the offense, besides playing inside out, he has guys moving the ball around to look for drives and kick outs for open 3s or guys cutting towards the basket. I think LaVall TRIED to to do this as well, but execution was lacking so he resorted to iso ball. I'm not suggesting thats anything unique about Matta, that's what good teams should do anyway, but sharing as a collective can certainly help lessen the need for a primary facilitator like in years passed.

jal8908 and cluelessdawg like this.
  12. DawgDude

Money:
    $869
    From on court demeanor I’d say Chuck Harris is more the leader and Simas is more the point guard bringing the ball up the floor and establishing the offense. By necessity 1-4 offensively are interchangeable.

tlp63 likes this.
  13. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,843
    Chuck is so much better when he's playing as part of a team and not ISO hero-ball. I wasn't a huge fan of Kamar (being told to? Allowed to?) playing hero-ball either. (but he was so special. Maybe just this once? :))

But Chuck playing without looking to shoot every time is nice. Now, he has thrown up some hero shots this season but he was a lot better last game. Hopefully he's breaking the habit.

Taylor's another story. That guy seem to have blinders on and can't see people open for easy passes, and easy assists. He is entirely too focused and heaving his shot up. I don't think he should start. He should come in for some instant offense but he's not involved enough in team ball movement to start, IMO. He's a great guy to have come in after the rhythm's established.

EDITED TO ADD: Of course he needs to be starting right now. We don't have enough players not to. Besides, he's great. I just think he is too focused on getting his own shot.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    BoyGeoff and 2xDawg like this.
  14. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,334
    Agree on Harris; last couple of games he has done an excellent job of letting the game come to him, and not forcing things.
    Don’t agree on Taylor. Motta was quoted last game saying the big difference for him after the first 2 games was his much better selection. As long as he continues to shoot 48% from 2, 89% FT and 37% from 3, he needs to keep shooting as much as he has been. The one thing that he needs to clean up is the 3 turnovers per game. A lot of really careless turnovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

jal8908, godogs91 and 2xDawg like this.
  15. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,862
    If we had more depth then sure, you could probably make the case Taylor should be more of an impact guy off the bench, but taking him out of the lineup would make our fragile offense even more so and would only force Harris the carry the offense more. Besides that, Taylor is still one of our better defenders, and as much as I love Thomas I don't think he's ready yet for a starter role.

BU03 and Tentozen like this.
  16. Albick

Money:
    $3,687
  17. Albick

Money:
    $3,687
  18. Albick

Money:
    $3,687

Not what we were hoping to hear.

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,784
    He will practice this week. They’ll assess at that point how far out his strength, conditioning, shot, etc are as a result of the injury, but I’m very optimistic we’ll see him against UConn, and maybe spot minutes before. Thomas will play vs UConn.

We may finally be 100% and UConn may be ranked 2 or 3. And it’s a Saturday game.

Should be a classic Saturday Hinkle environment. Haven’t had many of those in a while.

Might be a good one to buy tickets for if you haven’t already!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    DawgPoundMac, mwall787 and BUcheer like this.
  20. DawgDude

Money:
    $869
    Surprised Wilmoth didn’t at least get a couple of minutes last night nor Turnbull

UDDawg likes this.