22-23 Roster ??

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BUBandGeek, Apr 1, 2022.

1. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,153
    No, I get it. I don't mean to sound TOO excited. I'm just saying that IF all these pieces fall into place, I don't know how anyone can call this offseason anything other than a rousing success.

The odds of obtaining Phinisee, Turnbull, AND Bates aren't necessarily in our favor, and I realize that. I also realize that getting those pieces probably won't translate into a BE title and Final Four appearance.

It's just super exciting to see us "growing up", acting like a Power 5 team, and looking to establish a place at the top of the dominance hierarchy we are currently in rather than just acting happy to be a part of the hierarchy while getting continually punched in the groin by the more dominant members.

joliebeth23 and willisbrown like this.
  2. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638

IF Butler is able to corral up the services of Bates plus Phinisee and Turnbull, that in conjunction with keep our roster intact and upgrading our coaching staff with guys that have respect from all across the NCAA basketball landscape; this alone might make Villanova take notice of us and maybe even see us as a threat to them going forward. IF that were to happen, that's a victory in itself, what we do from here on out is just gravy on top.

3. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,682
    I'll check, but I doubt Nova is trembling...

4. Shane Davis

Money:
    $1,638
    Don't recall using the word trembling.

All I'm saying is when Jay Wright looked on his schedule and he saw Providence or Seton Hall coming up, he couldn't just shrug them off; if he starts seeing a team run by Matta that looks like they can give him a challenge, then that's all we can ask for.

5. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Well-Known Member

Money:
    $770
    3 spots left. Finish it off with Phinisee/Manny Bates/Michael Jones. Who says no? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

dippper61 and DawgPoundMac like this.
  6. DawgPoundMac

DawgPoundMac Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    That would be my exact ideal scenario. Ahrens would be a lesser, but still okay option, if Jones is off the board IMO.(would love to have Jones though)

7. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    Phinisee is ideal because he gives us stability at PG and only uses 1 year of eligibility, allowing us to then use that spot for 2023. Ideally I think we should hold on to a 2nd scholly for 2023 and then fill the last one with another 4/5. That way we can balance the classes a little bit better and we don’t need to do any “spring creaning” next year. This would allow us to bring in 2 recruits/transfers in 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Mr X likes this.
  8. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,522
    In the modern transfer-happy era, balancing classes is done.

ButlerProf, seadawg and ButlerHomer like this.
  9. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    On any other team I would agree with you. But if our players aren’t transferring this year when their coach is canned, I don’t see many transferring in the near future either on their own volition. Could definitely change though you are correct. But also most teams have players graduate every year whereas we don’t have any seniors eligibility-wise this season.

Mr X likes this.
  10. WDLTH

WDLTH Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $225
    I don't know. There are only so many minutes to play, and the more quality transfers we add, the more it will inevitably move some players to see fewer minutes to no minutes. Players are probably excited to prove themselves with a new coach, but you can't give meaningful minutes to 13 players.

11. NCDog

NCDog Member

Money:
    $65
    As far as I’m concerned, the players that are more concerned with minutes than team wins are more than welcome to leave.

12. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,682
    That's so true. And the more top end transfers that sign on, the more transfers it will create out the bottomside. If you are the "#10"(or lower) in the rotation on a NCAA Div 1 basketball team, there is a great chance some other team thinks you look like Taylor Swift. Its a new era - and its a bit odd. But in the end maybe it helps equalize rosters in a way that allows guys to play more than they would otherwise.

13. Shane Davis

Money:
    $1,638

You see? The season hasn't even started yet and already Matta has triumphed. :D

Jay Wright is in a class of his own, he deserves to ride off into the sunset. I'm happy for him.

14. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,037
    I am not so sure about this. I get that playing time can and even should be a factor. I mean these kids grow up thinking about playing and contributing to a team. I think it is a personal choice and a fair one at that as to whether one wants to be a big fish in a small pond, a small fish in a big pond, or a medium fish in a medium pond. When I was at WMU, back in about 1988, there was a local kid from Kalamazoo Christian. JP Osterbaum. He was a big star. He would have dominated if he went to WMU. He chose MI though, knowing that he would not see the court during meaningful minutes. Of course, Michigan played WMU that year and won by 50 points. JP Osterbaum came off the bench maybe for the last 5 minutes and scored 10 points. Personally, I would have choses to play at WMU than to sit on the bench at MI (I think). But hats off to him. He was a true Michigan fan and gave up playing time to be part of a national championship team.

At the same time there was a local kid from Hastings. A big star. He chose MSU. He only played a couple minutes a game as a freshman. He transferred to WMU and was all conference in the MAC. (We still lost to MI by 50 points though with him (Mark Brown) scoring about 20 for us.

SCbulldogsfan4life and jal8908 like this.
  15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,937
    If a player did not want to earn more playing time it would not be natural. At the same the BU philosophy preaches self sacrifice for the betterment of the team. Players must be willing to understand their roles.

ButlerProf and ButlerAlumDad716 like this.
  16. HinkleMagic20

HinkleMagic20 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $521
    That's what made Butler's National Championship run teams so damn good.

Sure, they had a great coach, two NBA pros, and arguably the best player in program history, but beyond that, they had so many guys who knew their roles, took pride in them, and played them well. Veasley, Hahn, Vanzant, etc.

17. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,774
    And Avery Jukes. The heave doesn’t come close to happening without him.

18. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,712
    I don't think Jay Wright ever shrugged any opponent off. That's part of what makes him such a successful coach. Similarly, I doubt any match-up has ever left coach Wright trembling (but I know you didn't assert that).

But I take your point. Folks are going to notice what is going down at 49th and Sunset and will have more reason to scout and sweat over the Butler Boys.

19. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,153
    So with Jalen's commitment, do we agree that we still need a guy like Bates and a starting PG to be on the bubble next year, or is there a possibility of sneaking in the tourney with the guys we have now?

To me the answer depends on the progression level of the guys currently on the roster, esp. Taylor, Chuck, Luko, and Tate. Pierce Thomas could also be the X-factor.

2xDawg and cornette33 like this.
  20. dippper61

dippper61 Active Member

Money:
    $233
    Give me Bates and a shooter and we are a tournament team next year. It feels so strange saying those the last 7 words of the previous sentence after where we were about a month ago.