22-23 Roster ??

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BUBandGeek, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    If you buy into the idea that the returnees are going to materially improve both from better motivation and coaching this offseason and better use of their skills next season (and I do), this can be a bubbly roster as it stands now.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,191
    I agree with this. What we needed was a solid big and we got it. I think we'll see big time strides from the guards and a full (Lord willing) healthy season for Tater Tot, who I have big faith is a major D1 player. We're solid as is. If we add more then I think we're definitely a top 50ish team but right now as I type, I'm with hinkle I'm tasting a few bubbles.

BoyGeoff and cornette33 like this.
  3. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    Building off of Albick's work earlier this thread, here is what our scholarship now chart looks like assuming everyone finishes their career as a Bulldog with the additions of Thomas (2 years), Ali (2 years), and Turnbull (4 years). The years next the their name is their eligibility status.

2022-23 (11)
    Mulloy--Jr
    Ali--Jr
    J Thomas--Jr
    Harris--So
    Tate--So
    Wilmoth--So
    Hughes--So
    Lukosius--So
    Taylor--So
    Turnbull--Fr
    P Thomas--Fr

2023-24 (11)
    Mulloy--Sr
    Ali--Sr
    J Thomas--Sr
    Harris--Jr
    Tate--Jr
    Wilmoth--Jr
    Hughes--Jr
    Lukosius--Jr
    Taylor--Jr
    Turnbull--So
    P Thomas--So

2024-25 (8)
    Harris--Sr
    Tate--Sr
    Wilmoth--Sr
    Hughes--Sr
    Lukosius--Sr
    Taylor--Sr
    Turnbull--Jr
    P Thomas--Jr

2025-26 (2)
    Turnbull--Sr
    Thomas--Sr

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    joliebeth23 and Albick like this.
  4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,862
    I am really worried about our depth in ‘25/‘26

bwesson15, bmradio99, troggy and 9 others like this.
  5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,627
    I say we are a bubble team now.

Add Bates and I think we are a tourney team that flirts with being ranked occasionally during the season.

6. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,191
    I'm just glad we don't have 20 people on the team now, a bunch of whom weren't so great.

7. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,357
    Next year is all gravy, see what happens but has a chance

That 23-24 team should be a legit tourney team and so fun to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,768
    Great work, Cranjis! Thank you!

Your chart highlights a rather scary thing: we have no one on the roster who is a senior by eligibility. If we pick up two more transfers (say, a big and a shooter) each of whom has at least two years of eligibility remaining, and if all players stay for their full eligibility (not a given, especially in this "free transfer" environment), we would have no roster spots available to add a high school recruit or a transfer in 2023-24. The roster that we have now (with the two additional transfers) would be what we would have for the next two years. That's good in some ways, but that means that, unless we Crean (which I don't expect us to do), there'd be a good chance that we would miss out on some great opportunities by not having any scholarships available.

I get that in this environment, coaches are more likely to recruit for today with the thought that not everyone will stay, but it's a bit of a gamble. I wonder if, for that reason, TM is likely to take only one more transfer or, if he takes two, at least one of them would need to have only one remaining year of eligibility.

9. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,790
    One thing we might get back to is good FT shooting.

Simas 89%
    Jayden 77%
    Chuck Harris 74%. Better the previous yr
    Ali Ali 72%
    Jaylen Thomas 1 yr at 82%

Hopefully all will get better over the summer

Tentozen and znelson15 like this.
  10. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,191
    As I see it we're 6 solid deep now with a wild card in Thomas. Many of you think he will be special. Not being local I don't know as much about him as y'all do but if he can pop then we're 7 deep, which is good. If we can nail down a sniper or one more big, we're comfortably deep IMO.

DawgPoundMac and znelson15 like this.
  11. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Active Member

Money:
    $319
    Someone will transfer if we grab 2 more transfers that have more than 1 year of eligibility. Plus, is JMM going to stay a 5th year to sit on the bench again? I'm all about getting as much talent as possible and still recruit the high school seniors hard. Spots will open up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2xDawg likes this.
  12. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $820
    My opinion: Last year with Covid and injuries I believe practices were more like open gyms as a scout team couldn't be established to sharpen and prepare the starters for the next opponent. You need quality depth with high hoop IQ for the 5 Ps (proper practice prevents poor performance). Practices next season should be 100% better in game preparation. A staff is in place to really access skill sets and design off season workouts to overcome weaknesses and build on strengths. This is where staff experience is so valuable. Val really didn't have his sounding board when coach JM left who was the most experienced on staff.

ButlerFan89 likes this.
  13. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,153
    Am I correct that the addition if Bates now leaves us with only 1 scholarship remaining?

I know I should take some time to celebrate the newest addition to the squad, but I'm thinking about what's next.

We're definitely going for a point guard, right? Rudi Williams doesn't seem likely, but there's gotta be someone out there we can grab. I don't see us just holding onto that scholly for next season, not with the '22-'23 squad looking the way it's looking. I'm thinking Thad is going to want to build on his core for next season.

14. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,234
    The latest Woods article says 1 scholarship remains.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

15. bicknob

bicknob Active Member

Money:
    $243
    Interested to see how everyone thinks the starting line up is going to look. I'd guess our game 1 starters will be

G: Chuck
    G: Jayden
    G/F: Simas
    F: Ali
    C: Manny

With a rotation of Tate, Jalen Thomas, and Wilmoth. Then Hughes, Pierce Thomas, JMM if we get into foul trouble.

Looking at that right now, I'd say we still have a strong need for another guard. I know some were saying pocketing a scholarship, but I think if this team is in tournament mode for next year we need another guard now.

WDLTH likes this.
  16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    I agree with everything here.

Here’s a guess at allocating our 200 minutes per game:

Chuck - 32 minutes
    Jayden - 32
    Simas - 32
    Ali - 28
    Bates - 25
    Thomas 10-12
    Wilmoth 10-12 (*assumes he can play minutes at the 4*)
    Tate - 15
    Hughes - 6-8
    Pierce - 6-8

As noted above, one thing I’m very interested in is whether Wilmoth can/will play some minutes at the 4 if we try to play huge for stretches.

If we could add a shooter or handler, especially a one-year guy, you do it. Eric Hunter - how’s it going?

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  17. bicknob

bicknob Active Member

Money:
    $243
    As soon as the Bates news broke, I was twitter searching Eric Hunter updates. I think he'd be the perfect guard to add. Adds a great 3-point shot, point guard abilities, and a good veteran-winning presence.

mass_dawgs, Hinkle, mwall787 and 2 others like this.
  18. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,016
    And only uses a scholarship for 1 year

19. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Well-Known Member

Money:
    $616
    Hard to imagine we play any time without either Bates or Thomas on the floor. I think those two play a little more and either Hughes, Wilmouth, or Thomas aren't featured.

Hinkle likes this.
  20. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,385
    I would guess if we use the final scholly it would be only for a 1 year player