22-23 Roster ??

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BUBandGeek, Apr 1, 2022.

1. MarcusNellemsfor3

MarcusNellemsfor3 Active Member

Money:
    $129
    Indy starting 5:

1 Hunter (Tindley)
    2 Taylor (Perry Meridian)
    3 P Thomas (Brownsburg)
    4 Hughes (LN)
    5 JMM (Carmel)

seadawg, DawgPoundMac and joliebeth23 like this.
  2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,102
    Well, going to need to rework this. I suppose Taylor, Hunter, and Harris just share roughly equally all 80 minutes at the 1/2 spots, and who cares which two of the three start? I suppose there could also be times where you play all three together with Ali or Simas at the 4 and go four in, one out with Bates or Thomas.

Going to be tough to see where Tate’s minutes come from barring a big jump forward and full 110% recovery.

3. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $234
    Official excited. Lets release some of the schedule now!

4. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Well-Known Member

Money:
    $616
    I'd guess Taylor will play some 3 while we run with some time for Tate. Its a good problem to have.

5. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,694
    I mean wow. We might as well just change the colors of the jerseys because the product on the floor is not going to be recognizable. We have a full 13 scholarship roster but will likely have and 9-10ish man rotation. So who is likely to be “out”?

Turnbull - While his ceiling is sky high in my opinion I think they’ll likely have a redshirt conversation with him given the additions of both Bates and Thomas. I’m not writing him off as an immediate stretch 4 impact player though.

Mulloy - JMM figures to get minutes at the 5 when Bates/Thomas are in foul trouble.

So that leaves minutes maybe something like below?

1 - Hunter 25, Tate 10, Lukosius 5
    2 - Harris 25, Luko 15
    3 - Taylor 25, Luko 7, P. Thomas 8
    4 - Ali 28, Wilmoth 8, Hughes 4
    5 - Bates 25, Thomas 15

Lots of minutes up for grabs so I think lots of these could be fluid. Excited to see who proves themselves!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

PSUButlerFan and cornette33 like this.
  6. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,768
  7. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,357
    Very curious how are starting lineup looks now

I like

Hunter
    Taylor
    Luko
    Ali
    Bates

But wow there are so many options…

Harris, j. Thomas, wilmoth, Tate, off the bench

This is how you keep attacking teams with a big time roster

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,191
    I think you redshirt Turnbull to build strength and go against the others in practice. He's got skillllzzzzzzz no doubt but his adventure from small town ball to big east is going to need a little toughening and seasoning. And he'll be much better for it. If he comes in and just kicks ass...another story but if Butler wants him as a 4/5 for 4 years he'll need to power up.

Ain't it nice to have this luxury?

cornette33 likes this.
  9. tcdtcd

tcdtcd Member

Money:
    $82
    Totally agree with you Willis, but the cynic in me says his re-commitment was tied to a verbal promise of no redshirt. Hope I’m wrong.

10. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,937
    Both coach and player should realize what needs to happen. That is a bridge they can cross down the road.

11. dawgman

dawgman Active Member

Money:
    $213
    Depth. That is what excites me most about this roster. Injuries are a part of the long basketball season and I’m not sure we’ve had the benefit of this much depth in many years, if ever.

cornette33 and DawgPoundMac like this.
  12. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,199
    We brought in 4 multi-year starters. 2 of whom have been starters on P6 teams and 3 of whom were starters for tournament teams last year, although it appears Hunter started about 1/2 of the games last year.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg and willisbrown like this.
  13. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,153
    To start the season out, my rotation would look like the following:

Starting 5 is Hunter, Harris, Luko, Ali, Bates

6th man is Taylor

Role players getting most minutes are J. Thomas and P. Thomas.

Role player getting a few minutes are Wilmoth and Tate

Guys on the bench are Mulloy, Hughes, and Turnbull

But the beauty of this is that everyone is undoubtedly going to get opportunities to show what they can do and earn their PT.

14. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638

For sure I'm ready for the floodgates to the open up and see which guys stand out above the rest. As far as starters go Bates and Ali are the only locks at this point. Taylor, Harris, Luko, and Hunter will become interchangeable for the remaining starting lineup and first off the bench, though I think Harris will benefit from Matta's tutelage enough that he might become the leading scorer for this team. We'll have to wait and see on Tate's health, but if he gets his outside shot back then I think he pushes Pierce Thomas out for rotation minutes.

I think the one guy on this team who could benefit the most from the coaching change is Wilmoth, I believe he's the one who's been the most short-changed by the LaVall era, and if his development takes off under Matta's staff then I could see him becoming the first off the bench. The one who might struggle the most for minutes (and it kills me to say this) is Hughes, being an undersized forward on this roster doesn't work in his favor and it'll likely be foul trouble that determines his minutes.

This is strictly my interpretation of the roster as is, I'm open to seeing this rotation change into whatever. I'm very excited to see what we look like when the season starts because we're literally a different team now, we are nothing like what we saw the last five years....It is such a relief to think that as we go into the Summer.

Ignatius J. Reilly likes this.
  15. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,153
    I agree with everything you just said. My only real concern here (and the reason I don't consider us a lock as a tournament team) is that we lack an established star. The successful teams we've had in the past have featured the likes of Hayward, Mack, Dunham, Martin, and Baldwin. There is no such player on our team PRESENTLY.

I think we're helped by having an improved coaching staff. There's also a possibility that one of our current players could emerge into a star. It's also possible that the whole can be as good as the sum of its parts (and we have a lot of good parts).

Don't get me wrong, I think we're closer to being a tourney team than not being one, but without that go-to guy, it's going to take a lot of stout defense, player development, and excellence in players executing their particular roles to go dancing this March. But I'm still very excited for what's ahead!

2xDawg likes this.
  16. Albick

Money:
    $2,768
    Hunter started 19 games (out of 37) including the last 18 games this past season. He also was a regular starter in the prior two seasons. Overall, he started 73 games for Purdue and played in 128. I believe Butler's record for games played (at Butler) is 143 (Nored). (Nze played 144 games overall: 65 at Milwaukee and 79 at Butler.) If Hunter stays healthy, he will surpass that number of games played by midseason and will end the season having played in more than 160 games.

By the end of the season, Hunter is likely to have played more than 10 percent more college basketball games (and all on high major teams) than any player ever to have played at Butler.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    PSUButlerFan and 2xDawg like this.
  17. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,191
    Beauty lies in the hand and all that...But, we not only have skill but we have depth. And guess what-we have a coach in hand that knows how to utilize these pieces.

Deep. Skilled. Thad.

All y'all need to know.

18. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,614
    Reading through some of these posts and the disrespect Harris gets from the fan base in a bit wild to me, honestly. Even after all these wonderful additions to the roster, he’s definitely the most important guy on the team. It’s not super close either, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  19. Albick

Money:
    $2,768
    Harris's scoring stats (12.9 ppg and 11.4 ppg, respectively, for the past two seasons) are not eye-popping but are very respectable (especially for his freshman year) and he has been our leading scorer as a freshman (the first to do that in 40 years) and a sophomore. So there's that. With stronger players around him, he might not be the leading scorer (although he may), but he'll certainly be a very important part of what we all hope and think will be a much-improved team.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    2xDawg likes this.
  20. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,191
    I think the thing with Harris is...we don't know.

What we've seen so far is a dude with very good talent, trying to carry a team while playing for a coach who was, frankly awful. So we've seen his ups and down but that was as a "everything is on my shoulders" type. Which...I can promise you wasn't his role coming into college and probably not his expected role when he arrived. Circumstances change and all that but he had to inherit probably nothing he was expecting. Not one fan nor he thought "damn, I gotta be KB or better". And that's kinda what happened.

Now he is flanked with talent inside and out. So, what's next? I think you'll probably see his stat line remain similar but more efficient. He can confidently know he has 7 or 8 guys on his level that can help push this train. Prediction-will he still be the leading scorer? Probably. Will it seem forced? Nope.

batimm, beezer16, 2xDawg and 7 others like this.