$3MM Butler Head Coach's Salary

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by tobystorrs, Mar 2, 2021.

1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,813
    Villanova endowed the basketball coach's position when Steve Lappas was there and his base was around $150,000, so you're talking about a much smaller investment to make the endowment - around $3.3 million. They're not going to take the name off if today it's only partially covering Wright's salary unless someone else comes in and ups it significantly.

2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,296
    Su
    Sure I get that—you said in your earlier post that it would take about 60M to cover a 3M salary and someone of billionaire status. I knew X had an endowed HC and looked up the info which led me to the notion it’s either not fully funded or the ice making business is way more lucrative than imagined.

3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,361
    Do you get your numbers based on the average market return over the last 30+ years? Approx. 5%

Meaning 1M at 5% earns 50k, so you can pay for the scholarship on the interest without ever touching the principal?

My guess is you said 1.1 then to account for taxes? 1.1 * .05 = 55k taxed at LTCG is 15% which is 8.2k so then you have 47k left for the 50k. Or... I’m way off

4. NCJon

Money:
    $8,813
    So you're not far off. My numbers are a rough estimate from my experience working with endowed funds at a couple of different universities. Every school has its own thresholds and system for determining how much to spend off an endowed fund. But for funds that are drawn on year-to-year, the expected spend is typically 4.5 percent allowing the fund to grow in years where the market is hot and not taking too big a dip in the years its not.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  5. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $345
    No kidding. MSU has been Heathcote or Izzo, who was an assistant for Jud, for around 45 years ish!?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. WDLTH

WDLTH Member VIP Member

Money:
    $101
    This is how it works at University of Michigan. The annual distribution rate to departments is 4.5% of the one-quarter lagged seven year moving average fair value of the endowed shares. UM has Endowment Funds, and Quasi-Endowment Funds departments could invest in. Endowment funds you couldn't touch once invested, and you only got the returns, and the Quasi-endowment departments could pull back some cash once invested for 5 years. I used to work for the UM Health System, and each department determined how much went to its endowment, and got to see the returns.

PSUButlerFan, NCJon and estar20dawg like this.
  7. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,361
    I don’t know where to put this, but Penn State has interviewed Micah Shrewsberry for our head coaching vacancy. This is probably bad for both him and Butler, were he to get the job...

For him, PSU has historically been crap. Will be really tough to win here unless he can consistently recruit Philly well and get all the good players Jay Wright can’t take.

For Butler, if he is successful here, then he has proven himself as a D1 head coach and would be an ideal replacement for LaVall should he ever leave or be fired, but I’m not sure you’ll be able to get him Bc Butler certainly can’t outbid PSU (if we want to commit to basketball, which is an open Q).

For PSU it’s probably good - he succeeds, and wow! He fails, and it’s more of the same and 90% of the alums only care about football and wrestling anyway.

8. Clevedog

Clevedog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $671
    I have been reading that Thad Matta is making himself available for possible coaching jobs. He is on the list as a candidate for Wichita State. He is only 53, so age is not against him, but his health may be a question. I always thought he was a good coach and citizen. I wish there was something for him at Butler, he still drives a car with Indiana plate and a Butler plate.

9. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,194
    I think Wichita State made their interim coach a permanent hire last week.

10. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,231
    Matta would be the experienced HC to bring to the bench at his alma mater but I doubt he'd be interested in joining as an assistant.

UDDawg likes this.
  11. tlp63

tlp63 Active Member

Money:
    $199
    Didn't LJ play under Matta as a coach? With Matta's age, health (?), and connection to BU, maybe he would like to help LJ succeed. You get no answer if you don't ask.

willisbrown likes this.
  12. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    On March 8th, 2020 (literally one year ago), Lukas (and many others’ Bracketology) had Butler as a 4 seed after Kamar Baldwin’s walk-off shot against X.

Unfortunately, due to no tournament, our Dawgs under LaVall could not show what they could do in the NCAA Tourney. I have read the board/Twitter comments all year about how LaVall should be shown the door *and/or* the narrative that he is no good and hurting the program.

I will admit, I was less than enthused with the slow starts and being down double digits midway through the first half of many games, and was extremely disappointed with the two games (@GT, vs. Marquette) following the overtime win vs. St John’s - I thought that was a turning point for our team with the young guys stepping up and Nze/Thompson playing well.

My point: let’s say the tournament gets played and our Dawgs win the first round (highly probable) and then make the Sweet 16 (quite possible.) The season finishes and the awesome five freshman class sign their commitment letters: would the LaVall narrative still be same based upon how this season went?

I hope this makes sense. I believe the coaching staff has to hear criticism and improve but I don’t think that this season should be a total indictment. Now, if we are having this same conversation next March....

jarik, 2xDawg and dawgs2014 like this.
  13. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,605
    Maybe a little, but I think a lot of the frustration expressed this year is about health. We literally have zero idea what would have been if he had a loaded gun. Not once has he. Now we're down to 6 healthy players. I've never been a huge fan of LaVall as a bench coach. I think we could do better but I also don't think he's just awful. Where I'm livid is the fact that this program can't keep players playing. The frustration of that from many (me included) pours out because of this.

Would the tone be different if they made noise last year? Sure, a little. But even so people would still be furious about nobody able to stay healthy. We have 12 scholarship players on this team. Literally half are injured. That doesn't happen other places.

14. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,165
    Seriously willis. You are basically on that boat alone. You are the one that’s indicting the staff for injuries they could not possibly prevent. A very unusual year for injuries, almost unbelievable, but just one year. You need to stop. I’m pretty sure you need an intervention.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,534
    I guess Willis and I are the only ones who saw that trainer sneak out onto the floor and put his foot under Nze’s, so he would turn his ankle?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,666
    Well what actually happened was Lavall heard Nze wasn’t planning on staying so he told the trainer to cause an injury and then convince Nze the only way he’d be able to heal was under Butler’s supervision.

Lavall is playing chess.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bobbu64 likes this.
  17. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,231
    Oh yeah he's the ideal guy to do the Phil Martelli -- Juwan Howard dynamic. I hope they reach out.

18. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,296
    Last season I know Thad and LaVall talked quite a bit. Just can’t see Thad as an AC however. He will be mentioned quite a bit between PSU and IU openings.

NCJon likes this.
  19. NCJon

Money:
    $8,813
    I know IU fans are unhappy, but is that job really coming open? I find it hard to believe IU can swing the $10.5 million buyout right now.

Hinkle likes this.
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,717
    The decision is out of IU’s hands. I don’t think there’s any doubt the administration, fan base (and I’d guess players) want him gone, but $10.5M is just not doable without some third party making it happen.

There’s currently no movement inside the IU administration to remove him. If someone on the outside wants to swoop in and pay up, they’ll do it, but otherwise they’re moving forward with year five (and Archie is gone April 2022).

It’s an awful spot because he’ll be a lame duck, and everyone will know he’s a lame duck. Their 2021 class is a single player, the 2022 class will probably end up being terrible, and they’re probably going to have some transfers in a few weeks. It might as well be 2009 for them. But there’s nothing they can do. That contract is criminal.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    NCJon likes this.