$3MM Butler Head Coach's Salary

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by tobystorrs, Mar 2, 2021.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,704
    Look, I’ll give them this.

IU football is way better than X basketball.

ButlerNut likes this.
  2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,704
    Bumping this. Shrews is our new head coach at PSU. It’s a really challenging job, but I think we got a good one. Sucks that it means he will never coach at Butler, but Butler has a good list of candidates on the coaching tree were LaVall to no longer be the coach.

3. tobystorrs

tobystorrs New Member

Money:
    $27
    Who do you have on Butler's "good list of candidates on the coaching tree" now that Shrews no longer is?

4. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,149
    Schrage, Johnson...Lowery eventually.

5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,992
    Michael Lewis and Nored also belong on the list.

mwall787, znelson15 and butlerguy03 like this.
  6. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $751
    Graves

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

butlerguy03 and NCJon like this.
  7. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,149
    Aaron Thompson - if he wants to, he’ll be a DOBO the first year out of school

8. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,445
    Do we have an AC spot open or did it get filled with Shuler (sp?)

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,439
    Michael Lewis was good for us at the time, but not as a HC at Butler. He wants a Big 10 gig. Schrage is completely underwhelming and I don’t consider a BU guy either.

ButlerProf likes this.
  10. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $390
    Nored is a nomad. Besides 1 year head coach at brownsburg high school straight out of Butler at age 22ish, any other head jobs? He’s floated around college and pro levels as a developmental coach. Under qualified

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. NCJon

Money:
    $8,992
    He was the head coach of a G League team (the Long Island Nets) for two seasons and he's been on the Charlotte Hornets bench as an assistant for three years now. It's been six years since he was a developmental coach with the Celtics. I'm not saying he'd be my first choice - and I'm adamant that this whole "staying within the family" thing that programs get caught up in is foolhardy - but I disagree that he's underqualified. He's on a track to be an NBA head coach anyway, but if we're looking for coaches with a Butler connection who could someday be the coach, he ought to be in the conversation.

#60, 2xDawg, Tentozen and 6 others like this.
  12. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,847
    Every coach we’ve hired for like 30 years has been “underqualified” by this criteria.

He’s been a G league head coach, a college assistant? (Don’t remember this but Wikipedia says yes) and has been an nba assistant since he was like 27-28.

Most nba benches are not just flush with mid twenties assistants-it speaks to how he’s regarded.

jeff, #60, NCJon and 2 others like this.
  13. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Well-Known Member

Money:
    $547
    Northern Kentucky for a year. I don’t remember position title but I believe he left the Celtics, went to NKU, and then back to the G League.

14. NCJon

Money:
    $8,992
    I can get on board with the idea he's not a BU guy since he was only here for a year, but he's done a phenomenal job at Elon. He immediately improved recruiting and has raised the talent on the team to levels they've never had. This was his second year and would've been a breakout but for two key injuries and a very long Covid layoff. Despite it all, they got on a hot streak to end the year and damn near won the CAA tournament for their first ever NCAA bid.

If the trajectory he is on holds, he'll be getting called up to a much bigger job in just a few years.

15. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,308
    OT can you explain to me Winthrop. Like the college not the team... how is it so big with USC and Clemson plus some other smaller (private) schools already in the tiny state of SC? Plus it’s public? Do they have tuition reciprocity with NC and Ga?

Now, anything you want to say about its basketball team and its matchup w Nova would be cool too

NCJon likes this.
  16. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,122
    WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR A HEAD COACH! Geez... you people.

NCJon and 2xDawg like this.
  17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,280
    NO ONE SAID WE ARE! I CAN YELL, TOO.

It's a widely-held view that any AD worth their salt always has a running list of potential candidates should a coaching change happen.

DawgPoundMac and NCJon like this.
  18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,847
    This is indeed what Wiki says. Great memory.

19. NCJon

Money:
    $8,992
    Ha. I don't think it's that big, like maybe 6,000 students. No tuition reciprocity. It's attractive because it's in the Charlotte suburbs (on the S.C. side) and has a good regional reputation, maybe on par with a Miami of Ohio. I think it's a popular choice for people looking for something different from that big state school experience of a South Carolina or Clemson.
    All the Winthrop grads I've worked with over the years have been smart, salt-of-the-Earth types.

20. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,562
    What about Barlow? He has been learning a lot under Stevens and been coaching in G League

znelson15 and ButlerProf like this.