A Little Insight

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by DawgFan, Mar 24, 2019.

1. DawgFan

DawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $249
    It would be helpful to have a little insight into the basketball background of posters on this site. I am certainly no basketball guru, but allow me to get the ball rolling.

Played some basketball when I was younger, but was 4'11" when I started high school... so I stuck with wresting, where low center of gravity can be an advantage. For six years in Indiana, I coached school basketball and AAU (3rd grade through 8th grade).

Been a Butler fan since 2001 and season ticket holder for five years before we moved out of state. I neither follow nor support any other college basketball team. I love Indiana high school basketball, especially pre-class ball prior to 1997.

Insane Dawg and tlp63 like this.
  2. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    I’m Michael Jordan. Need me to give more details or are we all good here?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Active Member

Money:
    $207
    Were you any good at basketball? Did you play for Butler? Please share more details!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Great idea with this thread but I can’t imagine many posters will divulge their background. I went to Butler on a full ride b-ball scholarship. In the winter of my sophomore year I tore ligaments in my right ankle sidelining me for the season. Then in the spring of that same year, like Joey Brunk ,my father died. My life went into a tailspin and so did b-ball. Butler kept me on scholarship even though I never suited up again. I will forever be grateful for what the university did for me. I still can shoot well but the two handed dunk is far in the rear view mirror. Love the Dawgs and always will.

5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    I'm the coat check guy at the Riviera Club. Every now and then after a swim I would run into Graves & Crone buying Mountain Dew at the Safeway on Illinois. One afternoon they taught me how Stevens loved to run the reverse picket fence.

6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Is the Riviera Club still functioning?

7. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $220
    They were in the news this week for canceling a pro 2A-women's event that coincided with the NRA Convention.

8. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $220
    I am probably the exception on the board, but aside from some terrible games at the HRC I never really played basketball (I don't count the two years in grade school). I followed the team some in the early 2000's because I had an aunt and uncle who attended right around 2000, but wasn't completely bitten until I attended from '07-'11. I have been hooked since day 1 on campus.

9. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,780
    Grew up going to the Rivi. Ah, the nostalgia.

bumba and Insane Dawg like this.
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    I'm the guy who used to make late night burritos at Pacos. When it shut down times got tough but I survived.

11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,780
    Played my whole life growing up, although I peaked early when I made the 5/6 grade "A" team and proceeded to ride the bench.

My dad played high school basketball and I've just always loved the sport. Went to Butler and IU basketball camps (yeah, I know) every summer, even went two weeks in a row the final year I was able to go to Butler's.

Probably my biggest basketball claim to fame is when Kelvin Sampson made my roommate and me run suicides in front of all of IU basketball camp because we overslept. Yeah, I'm a baller.

bumba, bwesson15, DawgFan and 2 others like this.
  12. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $280
    I played basketball in high school and got a scholarship to play at St. Francis in Fort Wayne. I lasted first semester and decided I was done playing basketball.

I joined the army and completed 6 years in the infantry. My wife is an alum of Butler and while I was in basic training (2000) she would send me news paper clippings on the dawgs to keep me entertained while on guard duty. That’s when my love for butler began.

When I got out of the army I finished up my degree. Now I have a full time job and coach high school basketball. I have coached all levels on b-ball but mostly at the high school level.

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    I feel bad for anyone who never had the blurred vision pleasure of a post-Ripple Paco's burrito.

ButlerGoalie and willisbrown like this.
  14. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $258
    Their oven roasted chicken nacho's were AMAZING! I coached our IM fraternity team (I was the only one with a nice suit & a clipboard). I was more of the vertically challenged, horizontally gifted sort, so I stuck to Football and writing about BBall.
    CA kid, only thing I knew about Butler was Hinkle. From day 1 on campus until I die, I'll be a proud bulldog apologist!

bumba and jeff like this.
  15. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Active Member

Money:
    $259
    Never played....but did coach a prison team back in he 90's. I was paroled after serving six years of my 8 to ten at the Michigan City pen. Servitude for booing and throwing paper wads at a ref in my kids fourth grade game in 1992. Very strict school district.

16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    Dude their nachos were the shizznit. Ground beef and chicken. That little hole they had, stumbling in there, completely in the wind, those were the best days. Late nights in the Ripple. Old school style.

bumba likes this.
  17. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Member

Money:
    $186
    Full disclosure I have never played a second or organized basketball, although I do play quite frequently in pick up games. I am a football first guy. I coach high school football as a defensive coordinator. I also help run the strength and conditioning program for both football and basketball. I do help with offseason skill work and conditioning for the basketball team.

I have been a fan since I saw Butler play against Florida State on TV in 2007. My dad goes ‘hey, Butler is from Indianapolis.’ I saw they were ranked and then watched them beat a team that I knew was a much bigger school. I have been a big fan ever since. Went to my first game at Hinkle in 2009 vs (the Evan Turner-less) Ohio State and Wisconsin Green Bay. I try to catch a game every year at Hinkle.

DawgFan and znelson15 like this.
  18. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,303
    <---- I'm him

bumba, bmradio99 and shoeevv like this.
  19. znelson15

znelson15 Active Member

Money:
    $364
    Born and raised Montana, played basketball my whole life and played college at Minot State (naia) younger brother played division 1 for the University if Montana and I coached high school basketball with my dad here as well.
    Love the game and love the coaching side of it more than playing!!!!!
    Hence why I can get so fired up so easily
    Cheers!!!

bumba, DawgFan and dawgs2014 like this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Love to hear from those who want to fire LJ and from those who always are right.