A Little Insight

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by DawgFan, Mar 24, 2019.

1. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $154
    Grew up playing basketball year-round and playing on school and AAU teams. Attended and graduated from Butler 98-03 (yes, an extra Junior year...that's what happens when you change majors so late). Coached a little AAU, refereed high school, middle school, and AAU games for a few years until the job got in the way. Was involved in high school basketball games on radio from high school until just a few years ago. My wife worked in the ticket office during some of the Horizon and A-10 years. Now that my work schedule doesn't allow me to go to every game, I am happy to pay the money for channels I will never watch just so I can see the Dawgs on TV. My job did give me some tix for courtside vs. Xavier, so that was a nice perk of working for a major sponsor!

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Space Jam taught me everything I know

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. CarlosDanger

CarlosDanger Member

Money:
    $115
    Never was very athletic, but always loved the game. Ended up getting a shot at coaching a long time ago in Ithaca, New York. Eventually, found my way to a very small high school in southern Indiana. My first year as the head varsity coach I really stressed to the boys the importance of fundamentals and conditioning instead of shooting or scrimmaging. However, after a lack luster start to our season several people in the town want me to be replaced. There was a meeting where a vote was to take place to decide my fate, but luckily a boy named Jimmy (who was actually the the best player in the school, but wasn't currently on the team) said he would join the team and play, but only if I remained as head coach. I was fortunate to keep my job and our little school went on to win a state championship. Believe it or not the last game was played in Hinkle! Today I wear diapers and spend most of my time on tinder.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    IndyDawgs, NCJon, BU_NeonHat and 10 others like this.
  4. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,161
    We won a trial membership to the Riviera Club maybe 10 summers ago. I swear I felt like I was walking back into the 1950s every time we visited. By the way I played IM basketball in the west gym of Hinkle back in the late 80’s & early 90’s. I wasn’t very good but had a blast playing. Started going to Butler games my first year on campus which was Joe Sexon’s last year. Been hooked on Butler hoops ever since.

bumba and DawgFan like this.
  5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    Well played.

bumba and CarlosDanger like this.
  6. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Active Member

Money:
    $207
    You may want to try Imodium and eat a few bananas each day for that diaper situation. BTW, how are you making out with the babes on tinder?

CarlosDanger likes this.
  7. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $749
    Won two state titles under Pete Smith at Guerin Catholic in 2012 and 2015.

Been going to Butler games since I can remember.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    DawgFan likes this.
  8. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    8th grade was my last competitive basketball. Focused on football, baseball, and skiing.

My dad is from the north side of Indy and grew up going to games with his dad when Tony Hinkle was the coach. At 72 he can still light it up. Everyone from Indiana can shoot.

jarik, DawgFan and UDDawg like this.
  9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    For some reason I knew that.

10. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $513
    Some of you may remember my playing days . . .
    Jackie Moon.jpg

11. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Paco's chicken nachos in the foil container. #RIP

willisbrown and bumba like this.
  12. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Active Member

Money:
    $207
    20,000 is all you need to know about me. This number doesn't represent my scoring or rebounding although I was quite the baller. My nickname was "Hank the Stilt" in college (Hooterville Community College). As the blind old dude in the yellow suit from Soul Plane said after enjoying his baked potato, "I'm a player...I'm a player." Yes, Hank Kimball was a player both on and off the court in college.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    iluvsnow likes this.
  13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    In actuality though, I got my start as an understudy to a scout who is now an NBA agent. He noticed I had a talent for baseball scouting and we just transferred those skills to basketball. Because I saw basketball differently than people who grew up close to the sport, I realized the inefficiencies of how we perceived the game which led to some inquisition into how analytics could close those gaps, especially after Brad got publicity for going that way.

I have recent experience with the d1 game in more peripheral roles.

14. m4795

m4795 New Member

Money:
    $44
    Played in 6th grade. I was the tallest kid on the team and didn't start on the B team.

I took the hint.

15. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Sectionals. One point down. Five. Four. Three. Let 'er fly! ... I was fouled.

bumba, Hinkle, seadawg and 1 other person like this.
  16. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,721
    I was a basketball hustler who banked on players underestimating my skills on the court, but could never seem to get ahead. Mostly because I would lose all my winnings betting on if I could dunk. (Lost a ton to mobsters and had to stay on the run from them.) Got left by my girl because I bet her Jeopardy winnings, even though I took down the street-ball Kings of LA and finally dunked the ball in a game! After that I went off to find my girl and straighten out my life. I found her and we settled in NC after I served 20 years in the USMC.

Some of that was actually true and I used to win and lose bets on my dunking... Couldn't palm a ball, but could jump pretty high. 6' 5.25" high jumper.

<-----Oh yeah that's me on the right from back in the day. Aunt called him her other son and he treated my cousin like his little brother. He was a great guy and Butler became my team from the way they treated the family thru some very hard times...

#60, BUcheer, NCJon and 1 other person like this.
  17. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    Can you play the post for Butler, please :)

18. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,721
    I’m only 6’2” can’t cut and dribble so might not work out too well. The whole used all my eligibility at a DIII school running the decathlon might be another impediment.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    In the interest full disclosure and for the continued prosperity of this thread, I once worked at the BC Lounge (Burger Chef) specializing in maintaining the popular "works bar". My hobbies included being an avid collector of 3-D Batman rings, and watching cartoons. Later I was the "unknown comic" on the old Gong Show. I will thank everyone in advance for their anticipated cooperation in this matter.

bumba, kmacker69 and BoyGeoff like this.