Aaron Henry - 2018 Forward (Michigan State)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, May 5, 2016.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,460
    If Izzo is out there will probably be questions about postseason eligibility that will linger.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,554
    https://amp.freep.com/amp/1070081001

Seems more football related than basketball, but who knows what will still come out. College athletic scandals have been a sh*t show for the last 12 months.

3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    Definitely more football than basketball, but basketball is far from unscathed in this. Feel bad for my wife and her family who are MSU grads and fans, especially of Izzo. Even if Henry were to reconsider his recruitment, I'd be surprised if he wound up at Butler.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    bumba likes this.
  4. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,460
    I’m sure we would all be appalled if we knew all of the things universities covered up for their athletes. Heck, beyond that, the things that any company across the globe covers up to avoid negative publicity.

Hopefully we are entering an age where people will no longer cover sexual assault up. If not because they believe it’s wrong then at least because they are terrified of the consequences if anyone discovers they kept something like that hidden.

Irishdawg and SpartanDawgs like this.
  5. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,426
  6. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,624
    I generally enjoy your posts and perhaps my interpretation of the above isn't the meaning you intended, but how can you process all of the information and stories that have come to light and think, wow I feel so bad for the fans of that program?

This isn't directed specifically at you, but a nonzero number of young men and women, including student athletes, were abused and assaulted and had their lives and livelihoods irrevocably changed. The rooting interests of everyday fans pale in comparison.

7. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    Of course this is much bigger than sports, and the systemic destruction of the women and young girls' lives and subsequent cover ups and resistance to investigations in order to keep those in power, in power, is flat out disgusting. Whatever happens to Michigan State, USA Gymnastics, etc. is unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Having said that, my post wasn't to convey that I only feel bad for people who are just fans of the program and to ignore the immeasurable pain and suffering the victims of this went through. I feel bad for my wife and in-laws. People I know and care about. Their disappointment as people who spent their collegiate lives in East Lansing, and believed that Izzo wouldn't allow garbage like this to go on is real to me, and I'm not going to apologize for feeling bad for them. I'm sure even if trivial and indirect crap going on in the world causes your family disappointment, I bet you wish they didn't have to go through it. It's my fault for not conveying my feelings in my previous post better though, so I do apologize for that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,621
    Honestly spoken and sadly this is only phase one IMO.

9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,554
    I don't know the full details and this may be very premature. With that said, if Izzo knew one of his players admitted to raping a girl and he did not kick the player off the team, he should be fired.

10. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $515
    Who is saying anything about an Izzo kid raping a girl? Is it Travis Walton? If so, he got fired shortly after because he was a graduate assistant at the time of the incident. Which I believed OTL failed to mention. All I know, is that all the stories that OTL reported for basketball and football were incidents that were already public in the local news and if they were found guilty, the right person got kicked off or fired. Now if they reported the incident to the right people, I am not sure about that. I would hope they did because the reports were already in the local news.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,237

12. bu2013

bu2013 Active Member

Money:
    $367
  13. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,280
    No one is saying anything about Izzo raping a girl... the post said he knew about one of his players raping a girl...

And as far as the "all of this was prior knowledge and no one was found guilty"...uh, yeah...that's kind of the whole story. When the prosecutor in the case becomes a MSU employee...kind of weird, no?

You might not like it, but Izzo won't survive this.

14. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $515
    I didn’t say Izzo raped a girl. I really hope Izzo survives this. The media is making Izzo the bad guy and Dantonio when they’re not. Her being an MSU employee if she was has nothing to do with Izzo. Izzo didn’t hire her.

https://www.platinumsportsmediagrou...-Michigan-State-Scandal-Media-Really-To-Blame

“a woman who alleges two basketball players sexually assaulted her in 2010. She refused to press charges then, but is now revealing her decade old accusations as truth on ESPN -And because court of public opinion rules, two men have lost their jobs. If ESPN wanted to do fair objective reporting, they would have obtained interviews with the accused, and released a report of their version of what transpired that night.”

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    beezer16 likes this.
  15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,554
    None of us fully know what happened yet, so quit being knee jerk reactive toward defending your school. Blaming the media is very naive. If the IndyStar wouldn't have uncovered Nassar's despicable acts in the first place, your university & multiple coaches/administrators wouldn't be under scrutiny.

This isn't fake news. Deal with the reality that there could be very ugly details about to come out. Only time will tell.

16. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,280
    You really don't know if Izzo or Dantonio are bad guys or not, so let's just get that out there. Your opinion is that they are not, and you're allowed to have that, but you don't truly know that.

Of course Izzo didn't hire her...that's not his job. The point is the system, which Izzo and Dantonio have willingly participated in, has been corrupt. Whether or not they were decision makers in the process or not is irrelevant. They participated and turned a "blind eye" and continued to put accused rapists on the playing field.

17. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,621
    All part of the "win at all costs" culture afflicting college sports.

fdr and firedupkaren like this.
  18. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $515
    The media is affecting families that are close to me. They took the Nassar story and brought it into the more “money making” sports. Izzo goes to my church. I graduated and played Football with the AD son mark Hollis. I personally know the athletic trainer Dr. Sally Nogle. My neighbor was the offensive line coach for MSU for over 10 years. My whole life, I grew up in the locker room of MSU Football and basketball (men/women). I personally have met and interacted with all these families and they’re all good people. I know some could meet someone like dr. Nassar and say he is a good person. Sometimes you can’t tell who the person really is by interacting with them for hours. But I truly believe Izzo and danatonio are great people and because of media reports, their reputation is going down the drain for something that wasn’t found guilty in court. That’s all I’m defending

beezer16 likes this.
  19. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,278
    Welcome to my world dude. You could replace your entire post with Penn State/Joe Paterno/Jerry Sandusky and the fact that I knew everyone involved, including AD Tim Curley and President Graham Spanier, since I played there for 5 seasons...

I am so glad Lou Anna Simon has gone down in flames, but given 80-85% of the garbage media reports about PSU were complete fiction and they got basic facts wrong, even after things were on record from trials, etc., I will withhold and reserve any judgment on anyone else until the facts come out.

Izzo is the big name. Dantonio too. For anyone to care on a national level, they have to be involved, so that’s what the media will do.

Sorry to say, but having seen this whole story once before, even if Izzo and Dantonio are innocent, I’m doubting they survive this. The court of public opinion is forming, and it’s a strong one.

This is November 2011 all over again.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,488
    I understand and concur with Spartandawg. I don't know Izzo or Dantonio other than what I see on TV and read. I don't know what is in their hearts nor what restraints, demands or restrictions are put upon them. However society must demand we stop this sexual assault behavior along with many other societal ills including mass shootings. However we must also be careful to not paint with a broad brush nor readily accept false accusations like the Duke case. I too read the ESPN piece and didn't see anything in there outside of Nassar that wasn't previously already of public record. Is there a cover up when a victim refuses to press charges? I'm also not sure what a coach legally can do other than reprimand, fire or discipline someone who has not been charged.

Yes college sports has gotten too big- particularly in the power five conferences. When the first thing that comes to mind when you hear Kentucky is basketball or when you hear Alabama you think football then something is amiss. Many things in our capitalistic society have gotten too big including corporations, the federal government and universities and their athletic programs.

SpartanDawgs likes this.