Aaron Henry - 2018 Forward (Michigan State)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, May 5, 2016.

1. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,530
    Are you saying this is yellow journalism? As with the Sandusky scandal and Uof L basketball , investigative reporting and journalism is far from dead. PSU football was my favorite program and I'll admit to being crushed by it's demise. The truth will eventually surface and some may not like it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,250
    Holy hell. Are there seriously people out there that think PSU was somehow wronged in 2011?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Tentozen, fdr and UDDawg like this.
  3. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,250
    And obviously there are consequences of these stories that affect people who are not involved. That sucks. But you have to be BLIND to blame the media or anyone other than the individuals you’re actually defending. They are the ones who created the situation in the first place.

Tentozen likes this.
  4. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,521
    Maybe we move this from the Aaron Henry thread to one of its own. Just a thought.

mass_dawgs and peeps112 like this.
  5. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $515
    Agreed. Non sports or non big east please.

6. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,613
    You just told on yourself. You "truly believe that Izzo and Dantonio are great people" because you want to believe that. You're a fan, which is why you are already playing defense by trying to poke holes in media reports and quoting articles from random blogs on the internet.

I'm not calling for Izzo or Dantonio to resign. But I am asking that a more formal and thorough investigation take place and, if they indeed knowingly protected their players and/or department and/or institution at the expense of justice, then I hope they get their just deserts. I don't care if you go to church or play racquetball with them. If they did wrong then let them pay the price. That should be true for any person of any age and standing and for any offense.

And to answer your stupid question, yes, if any figure at Butler, including Barry Collier, LaVall Jordan, or Brad Stevens, were ever implicated in such a scandal then I would absolutely call for an immediate investigation and also ask that they receive an appropriate punishment, should they be found culpable or guilty, up to and including termination and criminal charges. I don't care how good of a basketball coach they are or how much revenue they generate for the program. The health and well-being of students and student athletes should take precedence over everything else at institutions of higher learning.

To say that "a lot of stuff gets by and it isn’t just Sparty that does it" is whataboutism propaganda.

I Am Butler, Tentozen and mwall787 like this.
  7. dawgnation

dawgnation Active Member

Money:
    $187
    Even if Izzo doesn’t retire or isn’t fired, this scandal can still have major recruiting implications. Hopefully we can see some decommittments specifically with Aaron and Marcus Bingham and possibly become involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,334
    No one disagrees with this but to jump to the conclusion that Izzo or Dantonio are duplicitous is equally egregious without knowing the facts. Let the legal system run its course. People have been salivating over the ESPN article which is not an investigative report. It is nothing more than a regurgitation of what is already public information.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,344
    So since you’re assuming Izzo is still there, how does this scandal change MSU’s recruiting pitch? How will it affect recruiting this summer?

10. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Think that was the main issue.....it was not public info and when the reports in question were requested, MSU sued to keep from turning them over (and they were heavily redacted which led to additional litigation)

For Izzo and Dantonio, don’t think this will be necessarily a legal issue but more so one of optics and right now, it isn’t looking good. Long knives are out......

11. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,409
    Please, let's keep this thread about Aaron Henry. Move the other discussion to a different thread.

SpartanDawgs and pjohnsto2003 like this.
  12. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,613
    I wasn't looking for an apology and I can appreciate your thoughts and situation, even if I disagree on some fronts. Unfortunately, it is seemingly too common for people to defend their coach or political figure or school or institution to the death to avoid any cognitive dissonance. That both frustrates and saddens me and I wasn't directing my ire towards you, specifically.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  13. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,613
    I'm sure the administrators will move these posts when they see them. It's fine to keep posting in this thread in the interim.

14. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,613
    Your last sentence isn't entirely true, as mizebl already pointed out. And to whom is this post directed? Nobody has called for either coach to resign or be fired and I specifically stated otherwise in my post. People are understandably speculating about a report that is seemingly (again, seemingly) damning.

And while I agree with you that it is wise to withhold any final judgment until all the facts are laid bare, there are some facts that are already known. An MSU spokesperson has already stated the following: "Over the past several years, we have dedicated significant new resources to strengthening our efforts to combat sexual violence. Every day, people across campus are working diligently on this critical issue. We acknowledge, however, that we have sometimes fallen short of our goal and the expectations of others. It is clear more needs to be done, and we are using every resource available to get better (emphasis mine)." People aren't just slinging wildly unfounded opinions about. The university has already admitted that their previous efforts, at best, fell short of their goals and the expectations of others.

Source: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ntonio-needs-accept-individual-responsibility

15. pjohnsto2003

Money:
    $5,521
    PM it, grab some drinks, have a kumbaya moment together, I really don’t give a crap what you guys do. There is so much f’ed up stuff in the world today, can I not come on here and read about something relevant to Butler or the recruit in question?

16. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $515
    This is college basketball news and the internet. Idk what to tell you. You can just simply ignore the comments?

All I hope for is that the whole athletic department gets investigated, Questioned, etc as quickly as possible without much of the media doing their own investigation. What the OTL reported did today with Izzo was uncalled for but Izzo could have said less and just keep saying I’m here for the survivors. Not the right time and place.

It’s been a tough three days for the community. And even tougher for the 175 victims that don’t get media attention anymore since it’s onto pointing fingers at the basketball and football programs.

with all this being said, I deleted the Espn mobile app so I’m taking recommendations for a new sporting news app. Using cbs sports right now. Might be able to get us to it.

17. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,613
    I'm not sure what to tell you. Like SpartanDawgs already stated, this is the biggest story in the sporting world right now and for good reason. We have played MSU in the recent past and share many of the same recruits. Even on just a sporting level, it is absolutely germane to a number of topics on this board.

I sympathize with you that the world can seem like a dark place at times. I get that, truly. But sport is so ingrained in our culture that, for better or worse, it inevitably influences and is influenced by politics. Sport in America mirrors the culture of our society at large and they thus share many of the same triumphs and wounds. Sometimes that reality is too much to bear. But it is the reality.

18. pjohnsto2003

Money:
    $5,521
    I get both of your points. All I am getting at is if this derailment of a thread was put in its own, I could choose to disregard it by my own choice. I am very much of fan of thiis sport (and many others), but just because I am does not mean I should have to follow this particular story and all of the messed up fallot because I want to do what this particular thread was meant to do - follow the recruitment if a basketball player.

Not mad at either of you, or anyone else who posted here for that matter, just sick of hearing about the speculation and hyperbole in the somewhat infancy of the entire situation.

19. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $515
    @Jared Grubbs or @bd5 and I think a few others, can you move the "MSU scandal" to its own thread when you get a chance?

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,431
    Why are you so paranoid about moving this content??? Is it because an MSU recruit might actually read about the awful things that happened at the school he committed to? It is pertinent to discussion about the player because it would not shock me if he decommits if Izzo is fired.