Aaron Thompson - 2017 Point Guard (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,872
  2. 4636Cornelius

4636Cornelius Member

Money:
    $79
    willisbrown likes this.
  3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255
  4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,921
    According to DW, Aaron Thompson is visiting tomorrow (Pitt decommitt) Benson is out.

Aaron is probably better long term than Darius. Darius is better for this coming year. I think I'd prefer getting Aaron, but the obvious draw backs are that it creates a monstrosity of a 2017 class and probably has some negative effect for our 2018 recruiting.

If we do get Aaron, we are going to be super young and (probably) super frustrating team next year, but man are we going to be fun to watch in 2018 and beyond.

BHayden likes this.
  5. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,037
  6. Tark43

Tark43 Active Member

Money:
    $346
    I can see how it impact 2018. I also wonder what impact getting Aaron would have on the other guys in the 2017 class.

Sent from my XT1049 using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $295
    Not to be an ass, but where do people get the idea that we only look at 1 person at a time, and then just sit on our hands until they make a decision? We have a spot open and we are getting people on campus. The recruits usually look at other places too. That's kind of how it works.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  8. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,084
    I'm fully in favor of the long-term outlook. I dont feel like we are close enough this coming year to just fix our issues with a bandaid.

I'd prefer Thompson or Wright and let them grow with Kamar, David, Young, Neese, Butler, Brunk, etc.

9. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $206
    So let me get this straight... From what we know Darius & Aaron Thompson both will or have visited VCU and Butler. I don't recall any other visits from either of them. So as of now, its looking like Butler and VCU will both have a Thompson on each team. One has more experience but only one year of eligibility, the other has more room to grow and become a better player in 4 years.

I would rather have Darius just to see some experience on the court and because I like our odds getting a decent pg next year. However, getting Aaron would be a safer bet and have a less stressful recruitment next year for a Point Guard. Which then, maybe the coaches could invest significant time in actually finding a strong Power Forward for the 2018 class like some have requested.

HoosierDawg likes this.
  10. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,784
    I think the Thompson vs. Thompson debate is really interesting. If we take the older Thompson, we are set up for a really, really nice season next year.

If we take the younger Thompson, we are set up nice for the future, but our ceiling is a little lower next year...and we could definitely miss out on a 2018 PG. We have a really good start on the 2018 class, particularly with guards.

If I had to choose, I'd take the older Thompson and then take a 2018. But I don't think either is a "bad" option. I'd rather push the inevitable 'rebuild" back one season after Kelan is gone.

11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255
    My guess would be sign a Top 150 2017 in this year instead of waiting until next year & potentially missing on Top 50 2018's that blow up in AAU. That doesn't mean I don't want them - it only means we can name plenty of quality PG's we've missed on in the last 3-4 years. Upgrade the position with T-Lew gone & next year focus on Top 100 guys to replace Wideman/Martin.

12. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,037
    I also think it is a bit of a false choice to assume that if we got someone like A. Thompson or Wright IV, we'd be out of the running for a top PG in 2018. There are still PLENTY of PG minutes to go around, and it not uncommon to sell two point guards playing together.

13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472

After watching some you tube videos on Aaron the things that stood out to me was his defensive intensity and general defense. On the other hand his offensive skills are below all the other point guards we have been looking at and not of the level every other BE school has had except for DePaul.

Hinkle likes this.
  14. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $295
    We need some defensive intensity. Darius Thompson isn't exactly an elite scorer either, but with Martin, Baldwin and hopefully the new guys, we should be able to score some points.

Which DePaul player? Billy Garrett Jr? We should send over the strippers now, if he is anywhere close to as good as Garrett on offense.

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    I forgot about Garrett. Aaron should commit on his visit because he won't get a better opportunity.

16. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,605
    Ha, never thought butler was just sitting around. They both visited/are visiting butler and vcu. If one of them like a place/opportunity more than the other, id imagine this should move pretty quick. I want darius a little more, but both would be a quality get for butler.

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,921
    Another consideration here is that if we get the younger thompson, our incoming 18 class has only two spots and our 19 class will have ONE spot, and no room for transfers without transfers of our own. That's some serious imbalance, which is fine if several of the guys are good. But if there are more misses than hits, you could get yourself in trouble because you can't change the roster for a few years.

I'm fine with the younger Thompson if the staff is sure he can be our future PG, but they need to be really sure.

18. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,367
    I'm assuming Aaron Thompson is in the Archive by error? I about had a heart-attack when I refreshed the page and saw his name down at the bottom.

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,872
  20. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,872
    Whoops, yes. I moved the Mark Smith thread to the archives right before I created this. I didn't realize the site moved me over there when I did that.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.