Aaron Thompson - 2017 Point Guard (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,627
    Some people are just bad shooters. Don’t need a Roosevelt Jones broken wrist story.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,099
    Any issues AT has is at the point of release. His form is decent. HB is proof that shooting is a skill that can improved. AT has all the intangibles to be an outstanding point guard. He has leadership, ball handling, passing and creation skills . He is rapidly developing into a defensive stopper capable of defending multiple positions all while still learning nuances of playing at this level. IMO his ceiling is high.

3. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $965
    Sure, some people are 'just bad shooters' but just not many (any) that are starting frosh guards in a power conference. Perhaps we do need a Roosevelt Jones story.

Say he is 'just a bad shooter'--it still would be interesting to hear whether he actively worked on it during high school (and why attempts failed), whether shooting coaches were involved, etc. 'Just a bad shooter' is simply a plausible hypothesis to explain his lack of shooting. Something that is not known with current reporting.

4. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $48
    anyone want a fun fact?

Aaron Thompson is shooting better than Mark Smith right now (who we recruited) and ended up chosing Illinois over us and MSU. Smith is shooting 23% from the 3pt line this season. I am glad we have AT. He is a better defender. I hope he does develop a shot though. Whether its the 3pt ball or just an occasional 1 step in the 3pt line jumper.

Shimmy and seadawg like this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,099
    This is player that has a high basketball IQ. He understands his role on this team. I'm also sure he understands what he must improve on during the off-season. I won't go as far as saying I believe he will become an outstanding shooter but I do think he will develop as a reliable scorer.

6. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,627
    Yeah, I think the big thing is he just takes those wide open ones to keep people honest. He’s a great leader, I think he may get into his head trying to get someone else a shot instead of letting it fly. Eventually, though, he’s gonna have to start shooting those wide open threes because it kills our spacing otherwise.

jal8908 likes this.
  7. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $988
    AT played great vs Creighton. If he can develop a jump shot ...

8. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,057
    Call up Tom Davis... Tom, I got a great idea for a story for you, “Why does Aaron Thompson’s jumper suck?”

Tom: Uhhhhh... *click*

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,057
    In other jumpshot news, don’t tell Ari, but Paul Jorge’s 3FG% has been regressing back to his career 36% at GW :oops:. (It’s cool though as long as we keep winning)

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,697
    From this discussion you know it is a slow week

11. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $134
    5 pts 4 assists 1 steal 1 board per game in 24.5 minutes. Fine freshman season. Next year hopefully a mid range shot and see what happens from there. He gets any space he wants inside 15 feet. Perhaps he could try old school this year and take the bank shot off the angle from 15 ft in. More margin for error off the glass. Better rebound opportunity as it is usually a softer bounce. Nobody takes that shot anymore. It’s a different look than at the rim. I always thought it built confidence and developed touch. What’s to lose?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  12. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $965
    Despite the snark, I actually think it’s one of the most interesting unexplained observations from the season.

13. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $418
    As far as Thompson's shooting. Ive got to think a large part of it is just mental. Sure there could obviously be mechanic adjustments, but I've watched this kid literally hit 7 or 8 three's in a row from the same spot in warmups before. He's capable of shooting. Maybe just has to slow down before he shoots or get some mental resolve.

Similar to Baddley this year. He didn't hit a single 3 last year (0/8 I believe) and now look at him.

14. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,635
    Jared, I know you're busy...but maybe put up the St. John's board so we can chat about that... ;)

seadawg likes this.
  15. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $345
    Investing his time on his mid-range shot will probably yield the best RoI. Since he doesn't have a game-ready perimeter shot at this stage of his career, he probably won't ever. There is a lot to like about AT (attitude, defense, assist generation).......the current reality is, when he's on the floor, we're playing 4 on 5 when he has the ball. That's inevitably going to limit his minutes.

He doesn't have the body of Rosie Jones to drive to the basket and challenge the bigs, but if on the drive, he can consistently hit a 10-15 ft jumper or dish an assist, he could become one of our most valuable players. Definitely worth the investment.

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,913
    You know you get 50% more points for a 3 than a 2, right? If we’re gonna talk about ROI, midrange doesn’t exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $345
    My point is......AT is not likely to ever be an effective 3 pt. shooter in game situations. Better to improve the % of a shot within his capability range.

Case in point......Rose Jones was a significant scorer in his career, but only on the rarest of occasions did he attempt a 3 pt shot (eg. his 3/4 court heave and make @ Marquette in 2016).

18. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
  19. ButlerNut

Money:
    $3,635
  20. ButlerNut

Money:
    $3,635