Aaron Thompson - 2017 Point Guard (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 12, 2017.

1. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about... ;)

ButlerNut likes this.
  2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,872
    First off thanks for getting up. And then how do we both have the exact same typo on consecutive games? Of the school name. I think something is rigged here.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,169
    The typo for the DePaul game led to a shooting bonanza in the 1st half and a game the Dawgs were in total control of throughout. Maybe BD5 was just attempting to re-create that performance!

4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Sure, but why spend your finite amount time practicing something you have to be far more than 50% better at to have an equal effect?

In addition to being worth far more points, 3pt attempts spread out the defense, and create more offensive rebound opportunities than midrange shores.

There’s simply no probable way an ineffective shooter could become basically twice as good of a shooter from 15-18 feet than he would be from 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,872
    Even if he can become Nored from 3 point range it would help the offense tremendously. He doesn’t have to be a great shooter, he just needs to be a threat to shoot it if left wide open. Anything over 30% would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

troggy, dippper61 and Dawgedd like this.
  6. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,169
    Agree. Just being not afraid to shoot an open 3 (and hopefully hitting 30%) would keep the defense a bit more honest. In the last few games, when AT has the ball outside the 3 point line, his defender is inside the paint, completely ignoring the threat of a shot.

7. jal8908

jal8908 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,093
    I'd also like to see us make teams pay a little bit more for that by using him as the screener for Kelan/Kamar/Paul. Force them to stop sagging so much or give up wide open jumpers. We've done it some, but not nearly enough.

dippper61 and Dawgedd like this.
  8. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,169
    When using him as the screener, his defender just sags off the screen and picks up Kelan/Kamar/Paul until their player can recover. AT's defender leaves him alone knowing he won't pop out and hit a 3 while open.

9. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,367
    Having AT set screens for shooters does one of two things:
    1.) If AT's man is sagging into the paint just playing centerfield (like some teams have done) then he's not necessarily in a position to hedge on the screen until his teammate can recover. So whoever is coming off the screen has a step or two on their defender.
    2.) If AT's man adjusts and comes out further so he can help out on the screen, it at least opens the middle back up for our guards to be able to drive.

So either way, usually something productive comes from it.

jal8908 likes this.
  10. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,370
    The most efficient way to use AT is as a driver and distributor when the team is using a normal set. He nearly always makes good decisions. In a perfect world it would be wonderful if he was shooter. BU currently has 5 long distance shooters. Foul troubles have somewhat limited AT's minutes yet he has still managed to lead this team assists. AT can be a valuable screener but because of his lack of shooting prowess and his physical nature, that should done down on the block for cutters. At this point he is not a pick and pop threat which probably why LJ is not using him much in that capacity. I for one, feel he will develop a serviceable outside shot given time, along with consistently finishing at the rim. BU is extremely fortunate to have a player of this quality especially one that understands his limitations as a freshmen.

11. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,169
    I don't think any of us are upset we have AT. I have seen his value to the team. Especially when it allows KB to play the 2 position.

BoyGeoff and OldSchoolDawg1983 like this.
  12. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,370
    I realize we are nitpicking due to the layoff. All the points made are valid. My rose colored glasses only let me see the positives.

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255
    Agree, if he would be aggressive it could create fouls and allow him to distribute to guys like Wideman & Fowler who need help creating their shot. I'd love to see him take advantage of other teams when they sag on defense and drive it straight to the rim.

mwall787 likes this.
  14. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,404
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,921
    Pitt is mostly god awful because their offense is historically bad for a high major team (I seriously wonder if any high major has been as lowly rated as them on offense since Kenpom began). AT wasn't going to help much on that end this year.

bmradio99 likes this.
  16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    Pitt made a huge mistake with changing out their coach.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  17. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $181
    Their real mistake is who they picked! Also Jamie Dixon left Pitt for TCU. Pitt didn't have a lot of say in it.

18. bmradio99

Money:
    $3,404
    Was surprised by this bit from the article:
    The Panthers rank 237th in KenPom.com's adjusted efficiency rankings. They're 255th in ESPN's Basketball Power Index. If not for California, Pitt would be the worst power-conference team in the country by a vast margin, and even the Bears have two Pac-12 wins.

19. bmradio99

Money:
    $3,404
    As I recall he was run out of there. I think Pitt had plenty to say in the matter...just not on paper.

That said...yeah, Kevin Stallings was a pretty bad choice.

20. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $196
    They sure did

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops