According to IndyStar rape mishandled by Butler

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by tlp63, Jan 29, 2018.

1. tlp63

tlp63 Member

Money:
    $117
  2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,623
    I quietly mentioned this earlier in another thread but no response?

3. tlp63

tlp63 Member

Money:
    $117
    I missed that. I wasn't sure where to put it since I rarely post.

4. seadawg

Money:
    $4,623
    Your decision was appropriate.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,277
    Saw your mention, Seadawg. So I also looked for the info/article (all the way from California).

If the article's recounting is even partially accurate, very sad. Being "blackout drunk" is never an excuse for anything. It'll be interesting--& enlightening--to watch how this all progresses.

I'm usually proud of my alma mater. If the info posted proves to be legitimate, this'll be an occasion when I'm pissed at my alma mater. The man involved in this rape allegation having been expelled indicates that he violated some kind of campus rules--whether that's for this case or something else used to remove him from BU. "Expelled" means a whole lot more than "withdrew."

I hope things are much better & more responsive for anyone on campus--female or male--making a similar complaint.

bmradio99 likes this.
  6. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $518
  7. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,695
    #MeToo

This story lost all legitimacy when she said she had 5 shots. That's such a specific amount to drink, and then remember you drank that amount. An 18 year girl is certainly going to feel more than just "buzzed" after that amount of drinking in a few hours. No criminal charges ever filed? Lots of she said, he said stuff to this story. It's going to be very difficult to prove anything now either way.

Very poor journalism by the Star. This fakes news seemed biased from the start. They left out the word alleged before rape almost every time it was mentioned. This whole thing smacks of the family's lawyer contacting the Star to float a hit piece against BU now that there is a lawsuit out there.

8. seadawg

Money:
    $4,623
    I respectfully disagree.

NCJon, WhyRock, indienapolis and 5 others like this.
  9. DawgFan14

DawgFan14 Active Member

Money:
    $313
    The fact that you think the story lost all legitimacy at this point shows enough.

10. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,695
    What do you disagree with?

Did you stop reading after that sentence?

11. DawgFan14

DawgFan14 Active Member

Money:
    $313
    Why would I need to read anymore what you have to say if you think she has no credibility because she recalls having 5 shots? I recall how many shots I had the first time I went to a party on campus. I think you're saying it lost all legitimacy because you didn't want to believe it in the first place. I'm baffled that you would actually think there is no legitimacy in the story because of that. Hopefully you aren't a judge.

12. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $741
    No Tito’s this time. It doesn’t matter whether the victim had no shots, 5 shots, or 50 shots, the “I’m blind drunk” defense, is indefensible.

bmradio99 and bu2013 like this.
  13. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,629
    Why do you feel the need to mock and trivialize an entire movement because you are skeptical of a single incident on a single campus? I'm embarrassed for you.

bmradio99 likes this.
  14. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,629
    I would hope there is a formal and transparent investigation into the university's policies, procedures, and salient staff members as it relates to responding to claims of sexual assault and rape. If some of her claims are even partially true then the university failed her.

I follow Danko on twitter and saw the above statement earlier today, though I initially thought it was a response to the MSU case. I hadn't heard of this incident until now. Thanks for posting.

DawgFan14 likes this.
  15. johnhardingftw

johnhardingftw Member

Money:
    $6,207
    Because he's HARDCORE man. He's an ENFORCER. There's BLOOD in his profile pic. The number 13 is UNLUCKY therefore EDGY. He's an edgelord that somehow stayed that way while ostensibly aging into adulthood.

Whether or not elements of this story are true or false, you have to acknowledge assaults like this happen all the time, on Butler's campus and elsewhere. Hopefully this story is highlighting an isolated failure by the school, and not a systematic problem at Butler.

16. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,695
    If you had continued reading (which I'm sure you did anyway), you would have seen it is highly unlikely an 18 year old girl (who most likely doesn't have much experience drinking in excessive quantities) would only be "buzzed" after 5 shots isn't very believable. There are a lot of holes and accusations lobbed throughout the story. It seemed very biased and one-sided as opposed to an actual news article.

Maybe because it's a mostly embarrassing movement?

It's actually an inside joke referring to former Butler player Ben Grunst but carry on.

Of course it doesn't. No one is arguing the alleged rape is defensible. I take issues with the way it was presented by the Star. They gave the girl, her family, and lawyer a platform to lob accusations all the while knowing the school isn't able to comment on most if not all of them.

17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    You’re the absolute worst. If it were as obvious as you say that it’s a lie, you wouldn’t have to tell people it’s a lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Ignatius J. Reilly likes this.
  18. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,695
  19. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    This is a non sequitur in the context of this conversation. The presumption of innocence is a legal burden of proof. I.e. it’s through the eyes of the Law. We are not the Law, therefore, your link is not a relevant inclusion.

Furthermore, the point of the article was not to discuss the merit of the accusation, it was to cast light on how the accusations were handled. Since the school also is not the law, it has a moral, if not legal obligation to treat every single instance as if it’s legitimate.

While appropriate skepticism is necessary in the course of any and all human encounters, sexual assault allegations are not the same thing as a bar fight. The crime is far more psychological than it is physical. If there is even a remote possibility of truth, it is society’s responsibility to aid the victim. That doesn’t mean we have to go witch hunting against those who are accused. They are, and should be, presumed innocent until proven guilty in the eyes of the law, and should be given a fair chance to prove their innocence in the eyes of public judgement. Respecting the credibility of victims and responding appropriately does not necessitate absolute presumption of guilt of the accused.

Denying the plausibility of a victim’s story before it has been deemed valid in a court of law actively encourages sexual assault. Backlash deters sexual assault victims from reporting when it actually does occur. The victims are criticized for being forced into a life altering trauma. They are forced to relive it, and become public figures against their will, providing incentive to not report. Allowing sexual predators to attack without consequence only increases the likelihood that more legitimate sexual assaults will occur.

The presumption of innocence that you introduce as support to your stance, does not logically support skepticism of the victim. If the story is as flawed as your intuition suggests, surely a jury will find such flaws as well. This will award the accused his deserved exoneration. Because the burden of proof in a court of law is designed to protect those who are accused, public sentiment on sexual assault should always take steps to support victims.
    If your daughter, sister, or wife came to you and said, “I was raped” and you asked what happened and she said “she had five shots” I highly doubt your reaction would be, “no you weren’t.” If you would not like this happen to anyone you love, it’s your responsibility to treat this girl and her story with respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    fdr, Ignatius J. Reilly, #60 and 4 others like this.
  20. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,695
    I think you’re missing my point (actually I know you are) but sweet meltdown nonetheless. You do realize the accusations of how it was mishandled are only coming from one side correct?

Figured I would get some hate for not agreeing with the propaganda piece that was this Star article. The narrative seemed riddled with inconsistencies and when I pointed them out I was attacked. This is part of the reason the #MeToo movement is a joke - if you don’t automatically agree with the accuser you are deemed insensitive, mysogynistic, a rape apologist, etc.

If you can’t see this piece was pushed by the family and their lawyer I feel sorry for you. I highly doubt the author was doing some investigative journalism and fell into this story. Presumption of innoncence is how the public should handle these types of accusations, and any alleged crime for that matter. This will be interesting to follow now that the accuser has initiated a criminal case years later. My guess is nothing ever comes of it.