According to IndyStar rape mishandled by Butler

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by tlp63, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $538
    That was so well said

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    This is embarrassing

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    Institutions consistently choose damage control over transparency. The lesson here is that you sweep the dirt under the rug, but sooner or later that rug will get picked up and that dirt will still be there.

4. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    I think this is actually a good debate as well. Certainly no one wants to volunteer more negative publicity about themselves than is necessary, but what is and should be necessary?

5. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Great counter argument!

6. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,143
    Unfortunately if there is a lawsuit pending then Butler can say very little specific to this case. It appears the respondent was expelled from school. If so, that would seem the most aggressive action that BU can take, was taken, so not sure what else people want/expect?

7. DarthHoltmann

DarthHoltmann Member

Money:
    $80
    The enforcer is kind of being a dick, so it’s a little painful to jump on his side, but his overall point is correct. This is a pathetic article, regardless of the truth of any of it. The IndyStar has clearly given the representatives of this girl a platform to push a 1 sided story from 2 years ago to try and leach off of the MSU scandal. There is absolutely no evidence presented here and Butler isn’t allowed to defend themselves against what is nothing but someone’s story. They referenced an email from Butler that the family took issue with. How about publish that email and prove it was so terrible? I’m not trying to dismiss this girl’s story at all, but it’s irresponsible for a paper to print this story with an agenda with nothing to support it. Our journalists need to be better.

theenforcer13 and MSUDawg like this.
  8. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $388
    Someone said that presumption of innocence is irrelevant because "we are not the law". I was under the belief that this is a democracy and that our laws are actually the reflection of, amongst other things, our collective concept of morality.

Of course I am obviously wrong. I forget that our laws are a completely arbitrary collection of tyrannical dictates concocted by "evil old male honkies designed to enslave women and POC". (Good Guy dawgs2014, from his pivotal novel Karl Marx & Me: A Guide to Picking Up Hot Chicks in the 21st Century with Nonsensical Rhetoric and Nebulous Accusations of Racism/Sexism/any-ism, Volume 5 billion)

theenforcer13 likes this.
  9. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    Presumption of innocence is a nonsensical term in the court of public opinion. If a journalist believes you guilty, or can get more clicks for writing the story that way, then you are, and if you aren't then they'll print a retraction, on page 17, below the fold.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,506
    And I used to think Dinesh D'Souza was the worst thing to come out of Dartmouth.

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    I said it. It’s true. What you said can also be true. Osama Bin Laden was never convicted of a crime. Does that mean he is innocent? Your logic says yes.

Regardless, the article has very little to do with the guilt of the accuser, and unless you’re denser than a redwood, that’s easy to see.

12. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $388
    1. Osama admitted to doing it like immediately. Not really sure what your point is when not even the criminal is claiming innocence. Sick example though bro
    2. "Guilt of the accuser"...huh? Guilty of what?
    3. I think Butler botched this whole ordeal, and they have shown a clear pattern of administrative incompetence in almost every facet of campus life. Still doesn't mean presumption of innocence isn't a vital tenant of a just society. Stating that it is irrelevant is foolish
    4. for your buddy fdr, i'd like to see a single legitimate criticism of something I have said. not something you assume I believe you smart ass.