Alex Barcello - 2017 Point Guard (Arizona)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Jun 2, 2016.

1. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $355
    I'd feel bad if he and his parents were to naïve to realize how it works at schools like Arizona. But at a certain point you can't blame others for things not going your way. Not everyone is a victim. You learn from mistakes.

There's also nothing wrong with riding the pine for a year or two. I know some people covet instant gratification but there will be opportunity for anyone who is talented and willing to be patient.

2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,797
    He's obviously not supremely talented at a program like Arizona if he's been recruited over multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,963
    I never said he was a supreme talent vis a vis the other recruits at AZ. Of course he's not. But in the college basketball landscape, if you are a consensus top 100 player you are an elite prospect (especially as a pg). But I'm not sure why it is hard to understand why one may feel for a kid who probably bought in to some grown men's lies at his expense and their gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,963
    Revisiting 15 months later: Barcello is averaging 8 minutes per game as a sophomore on Arizona's worst team since 2010, and that's inflated by the higher minutes he's played against a few awful opponents to open the season. He's played 12 total minutes in their last three games.

I think he is (or could be) a big contributor to a good team. But Arizona (a) is toxic right now; and (b) is going to have or pull in more highly-regarded guys who will play over him every year he's there. Maybe he can be a solid role player there as a senior on a good team. That's his best case scenario. Is that really the college basketball path you want when you're a top 100 recruit out of high school? Of course not.

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,018
    Maybe b-ball wasn’t as important as getting has education at Arizona where he is from.

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,963
    He had an offer from Stanford. Academics were not the priority.

But yeah, maybe staying close to home was really important (though based on his top choices - which were literally from coast to coast - I highly doubt that was the case).