Alex O'Connell - 2017 Shooting Guard (Duke)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, May 20, 2016.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,065
    No wonder he can jump so high- no gravity. He needs to have two meal tickets. If he gets a hair cut he will be below 170.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $113
    Risk is that he gets bullied all over the court because of his slight frame.

3. BulldogTJN

BulldogTJN New Member

Money:
    $5
    I'd rather a prospect be thin than not athletic. He may be slight, but he's bouncy and agile. If he can keep someone in front of him with his foot speed, I don't mind his lack of strength right now. If he's this thin by his Sophomore or Junior year of College, that would be an issue, but I feel like you can teach weight/strength much easier than athleticism/foot speed.

4. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,161
    Exactly, and this would be a much bigger concern if he was a post player. This dude is agile and LONG. He'd have no issues defending 2/3's in the Big East.

5. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,186
    Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits
    2017 Milton (GA) G Alex O'Connell has received an offer from Cincinnati. @Alex_OC11 verbalcommits.com/players/alex-o…

6. firedupkaren

Money:
    $5,161
    Per the article a few weeks ago, O'Connell is set to visit a week from today, June 29th. He played with Kamar Baldwin some on the AAU circuit last year. Kamar moves in this weekend per his Twitter. That's some nice timing that he'll be there when Alex is visiting.

The more I think about it, the more I want O'Connell at Butler. He and Neese on the floor at the same time would be incredibly hard to defend.

7. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,339
    Please excuse my laziness, but do you have a link from last season's Gauntlet of Kamar and Alex's stats on the Celtics?

8. Shark

Shark Member

Money:
    $87
    It could be if they have the strength to get to their spots through bumps and to guard effectively (at least one of them would have to guard a Big East small forward if they play at the same time). I'm not anti either of them, but this dude needs some to get some calories in his body.

9. xufan02

xufan02 Active Member

Money:
    $72
    O'Connell is visiting Xavier on June 30th. He was offered by the Xavier staff last week. He was killing it last week at the NBA 100 camp.

10. Irishdawg

Money:
    $113
    I could see him defending 2s, but without some significant beef I can't see him defending 3s with much success. He'd be going up against a guy like Kelan Martin, which even if he was a "normal" sized dude at 200 lbs would be hard. Also, his wingspan from what I've seen is 77 inches, which isn't long at all.

Again, like pretty much everyone else, I want this kid at Butler, he'd be a fantastic addition. But being that thin doesn't come without its issues, so no matter where he winds up at, I'm sure that'll be a focus for him. Strength though is more important than just weight though. Kam Woods was a twig his entire career, but by his Junior and Senior seasons he was at least strong enough that he could deal with whoever he was guarding.

11. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $393
    Trevon Blueitt and Josh Hart play the two guard spot a good amount of the time. This kid would get eaten alive by them on a post.

12. firedupkaren

Money:
    $5,161
    Oh okay, way to pick two NBA draft picks next year as your comparison point.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. firedupkaren

Money:
    $5,161
    Alex O'Connell - 2017 Shooting Guard

Guys we shouldn't take players who can't defend the very best players in the nation. It's not worth it, too much of a risk.

14. Irishdawg

Money:
    $113
    Calm down. No one's saying that. All anyone's doing is pointing out why it's important once he does get to college to put on 20-30 lbs over the course of his career. Also, when you play in one of the best conferences in the country, at a position that is frequently populated by really good players, you are going to have to guard guys who are eventually going to be in the NBA. Doesn't mean don't go for him. I can only speak for myself, but someone with his skillset is absolutely what I want to see at Butler.

15. ButlerBoy

ButlerBoy Member

Money:
    $6
    I dont think this kid is even close to being finished growing. He looks really young and the thin frame to me, signals a few more inches in height may be headed his way (yes pun intended). Some of you are happy with this kid at 6'5, could you imagine him at 6'7 or 6'8 with his atleticism and talent. This kid could be huge for the team.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  16. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $881
    I totally agree with Butler Boy on this kid. He's got sleeper written all over him and from I've seen he's pretty athletic- runs the floor and gets off the floor AND plays defense. Not to mention he's a good student. I've got no serious concerns about him against other so called more athletic stronger guards in the Big East. He just happens to be one of those rare types of players that you think should be sweeping the floors until he crosses you over and dunks in your face. This is a strong Butler recruit in my opinion. Hopefully we can pry him away from X.

Go Dawgs!

17. xufan02

xufan02 Active Member

Money:
    $72
    O'Connell visited Syracuse yesterday and was offered. He is good enough for any team in the BigEast.

18. firedupkaren

Money:
    $5,161
    Today was his scheduled visit date. Anyone hear if it's actually happening?

19. firedupkaren

Money:
    $5,161
    Coming up from Georgia, that's a natural stop on the way, so is Xavier, I just hope he actually makes it to Hinkle.

20. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $512
    His Dad's family is from Cincy. Had an uncle play at X.

I think this kid ends up at a blue blood honestly.