An Apology to LaVall Jordan

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by CarmelDawg23, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $726
    Thanks Brunk..... asshole

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,209
    My uninformed opinion is that last season ended when Brunk lost his enthusiasm in the last month...

ButlerNut likes this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,109
    That's not uniformed nor an opinion, it's absolute fact. He was never a bulldog, never wanted to be. He was out the door and torpedoed the program. It wasn't a tourney team, but it was better than last place in the big east. I gave LaVall a lot of grief, and yes his game management was putrid, but, this thing went off the tracks thanks to one dude primarily.

4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,717
    Brunk was fully invested in BU until it was evident about halfway through last season. The coaching change was the main factor. Over time he recognized that. He was fully entitled to make a change. He had graduated. His GPA was excellent. He was a good ambassador for BU basketball. Having a change of heart because he realized he did not fit in, is not a sin. Was he overrated? Absolutely. I do believe this was addition through subtraction, but to say "he was never a bulldog" is simply not true. I completely agree he was the reason the season fizzled out. He can be blamed for showing his disinterest and a lack of enthusiasm. Who knows if LJ was aware prior? Obviously others knew. This could have been handled differently.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    JB is a really good kid and I really feel for him that he went through what he did in his personal life. The same thing happened to me, and it is pure misery.

Having said that, the bolded isn't true from what I have heard from two different people. He committed to Butler because of Holtmann and because of proximity to Southport And he flat out said that both before and after his transfer. The commitment was never much about Butler, and thus I don't think he was ever 100% in. I think he's better off at IU because it better suits what he's looking for, and I do think Butler is better off without him this year as well.

BoyGeoff, willisbrown and Insane Dawg like this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,837
    You guys have no idea what it is like to lose your dad when you are 18-19 years old. I do. It’s devastating. To watch a parent die at that age is beyond comprehension for those who have never had that experience. Joey may not have been the player LJ would have recruited ,nor Fowler, but you play with the hand you were dealt.

dawgs2014 and ChiDawg3 like this.
  7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,717
    Obviously Brunk was sold by to Holtman come to BU. That is why I mentioned the coaching change. That would be no different any of LJ's recruits playing for BU. Vilifying Brunk is a little over the top IMO. I do know he wore a Butler uniform for 3 years and the majority of time he played with effort. I don't definitively know the reason why he needed a change of surroundings. Lost my Dad at age 16 unexpectedly too.

8. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,263
    It was like a bad marriage it was time to move on. It is time to put it to bed.

9. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,078
    And even if you are a school at the top of the NCAA food chain, there is always the NBA above that.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Hinkle and NCJon like this.
  10. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $311
    No way a coach from little old Butler would ever be poached by the NBA.

NCJon, SpartanDawgs, Shimmy and 3 others like this.
  11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    And even if you're an NBA franchise at the top of the food chain, there's always the Monstars.

Dewars12 and godogs91 like this.
  12. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,837
    Bet the challenge is there and the money but not as much fun

bumba likes this.
  13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
    You could make your own fun with a salary of $5 million per year. I'd quit my day job and risk it.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  14. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,317
    Sean couldn't guard the 4, and even when he was engaged, Brunk was about as effective on defense as a chair. Maybe less effective if it's a big comfy recliner.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,024
    Eh? Brad was 30-4 in his first year and was an OT game they should have won from upsetting the two seed and making the Sweet 16. I know it was a senior-laden team, but Brad was pretty much perfect from the beginning.

dawgs2014 and 2xDawg like this.
  16. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,263
    Let's face it Brad is an elite coach and did it without cheating and spotting good talent for the most part. As always there were a couple of clunkers, but all min all
    he had a great run.

17. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Active Member

Money:
    $516
    Except when we wanted him fired in 2011 after losing to Youngstown State

jeff, Shimmy, kac12568 and 2 others like this.
  18. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,768
    Brad had an incredible record as a head coach. If the only being measured is the win/loss record, then he was pretty much perfect. I was not focusing just on the record. He had a lot of clock management issues and a lot of "interesting" substitutions or lack there of during the game in his first year. There were many discussions in our section about some of his lapses. The team was able to overcome the issues and win games. By no means did I think Brad was a terrible his first year, but he needed to work on several areas. Brad improved as a coach by leaps and bounds during his second and third year. I hope Coach Jordan can do the same thing and increase the number of wins this year.

NCJon and 2xDawg like this.
  19. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,215
    Willis - I agree with you that the season derailed when Brunk made the internal decision to transfer (before it even was public). But he was the fire and energy in the beginning of the season. Unless he was showing his skills solely for the benefit of a different offer (so then he could stop playing with the fire), I think it is a little short sighted to say he never wanted to be a Dawg.

SpartanDawgs and NCJon like this.