Andrew Chrabascz - 2013 Center

Discussion in 'Former Bulldogs' started by Jared Grubbs, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,721
    Jones at 6' 4" is a decent rebounder as well. Again Larry Bird said 90% of all rebounds are below the rim. Chrabacz may be "only" 6' 7" but I bet he will be a load to push out of the block.

2. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Pretty sure they've been playing against high major players throughout their high school and AAU careers.

3. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $287
    Yes, they have. Given that only Berry, of the group, generated high major offers playing next to those players SHOULD be worrisome given that knowledge. (Not to mention all the misses in recent classes)

I hope he becomes a 6'6" Wilt Chamberlain, that would be the best thing ever. But, Andrew Chrabascz is NOT even a top 1/2 RECRUIT in this conference in 2013.

Lets just drop it. We are dealing in hope now, it's not even worth talking about.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  4. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,721
    High Major Offers:
    Berry-3
    Castro- 3
    Brown -2
    Chrabacz- 3

5. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $287
    LOL, no.

Castro picked BU over George Washington, Duquesne, and Boston U

Brown? BU over St Mary's...

AC? This thread has that info.

Berry? Yes

----
    This class is improvement (it's a top 3 or 4 class in the a10), but lets not rewrite history. It's fine how it happened.

6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,721
    Chrabacz-Creighton, UMass, Butler
    Castro-Pitt, UMass, Butler
    Brown-St.Mary's, Butler

Interesting fact: Butler has five players ranked in the Top 150: Jones, Dunham, Berry, Marshall, Brown per Rivals.
    2010 & 2011 National Champion runner ups - one Top 150- Matt Howard.

7. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $287
    Yeah, Castro didn't have an offer from Pitt. In fact, I actually had a conversation with the guy who did a couple of his videos (@BallasTV) about how he wanted to really show those schools he cold play because they ignored him.... (BTW, having Boston U in the final list should really have told you that)

And, yeah, none of those others are high majors.

-----

It's a mid major class that we need to become high major. There's nothing more to it. It is simply a matter of hope.

8. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,721
    Rivals.com

9. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    To build on that, the 2013 class also would have been tops in the Horizon League hands down. The point, which I swear I've seen somewhere before, is "... this isn't the Horizon League." We've jumped a long way in a short time. Simply put: the bar has been raised.

The only high major program to recruit Gordon Hayward was Purdue. Guys like him, Steph Curry, Doug McDermott, and C.J. McCollum are exceedingly rare. Despite all their talent, the latter three never competed for a Final Four, largely because their teammates never transcended the level to which they were recruited. Butler's Final Four squads, on the other hand, had multiple guys who performed at levels far above the level to which they were recruited. The rarity of this is a big part of what made our team so beloved. The fact is that Final Fours are overwhelmingly comprised of high major programs. High major programs are comprised of players recruited by a slew of other high major programs. It's such an obvious and banal point I feel silly stating it, but once again: You stand a better chance at succeeding with guys who many high majors want than guys who many high majors don't want.

Again, to be unmistakably clear, nobody (including Title) is saying it's impossible to make a Final Four with players primarily recruited by mid-major and A-10-type programs. It happens (Butler, VCU, George Mason, Wichita St.), but it's like being struck by lightning (and we've already been struck twice). Nobody is saying that Andrew Chrabascz won't end up as a top 50 player in his class when it's all said and done. Nobody is saying they don't want all of our players to succeed beyond anyone's wildest dreams. At root, what we critics of the recent recruiting efforts are saying is that we want deep tournament runs to become the rule, not the exception; the corollary being that Final Fours are more likely with rosters full of consensus top 75-100 players than by hitting the jackpot on players primarily sought by mid-major and A-10-type programs. It boils down to an understanding of probability and common sense. Brad Stevens, possessing both, no doubt agrees.

10. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Not that it matters (except to Pitt, who I think missed out), but:

HoopDreamsMag.com
    ‏@HoopDreamsmag
    Just spoke with Rene Castro 2013 (PG) BABC (MA) he confirms that he has not been offered by Pittsburgh. He currently has high interest
    7:12 AM - 1 May 12

https://twitter.com/hoopdreamsmag/status/197327532612263937

11. SchlabbaDawg

SchlabbaDawg Active Member

Money:
    $3,126
    Agree regarding the quality posts. Question for anyone on or around campus. Has anyone seen Chaz in person? I always take height measurments with a grain of salt. I'd like to get a better understanding of his size. Thanks.

12. Overland Bark

Overland Bark New Member

Money:
    $10
    Because their listed wieght and height are identical, the completely superficial comparison is Brian Ligon, who showed quite a bit of potential before injuries derailed his career - though he did manage to realize some of that potential despite injury.

I would not be disappointed with Chrabascz as Brian Ligon minus the injuries.

13. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $356
    There have been 5 non-majors in the Final 4 since 2006, so it appears to be a bit more frequent than rare. I would think this would demonstrate that the gap is somewhat closing between those guys rated towards the top with those not ranked as high. I imagine that all of us want 4 and 5 stars, but that probably isn't reality yet. That should be obvious and common sense as well. This is our highest rated class ever, so I really don't understand the complaining. Seems like that would be the direction you would want to move in (getting higher ranked recruits from all over the country).

I think there is enough articles and information out there that people should be excited about this group and even AC. I also think it is probably too much to believe he is going to be Matt Howard 2.0. Howard was really good.

14. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $287
    There are 347 D1 schools, of that group, there's 90 or so majors.

(260ish * 8 years) = 2,080. ---> 5/2080 = < .25%

It's not Lottery odds, but even during a stretch of time that probably is anomaly, it's still rare my any measure for any particular non-major (or not recruiting like a high major) school.

15. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I guess the distinction is that some of us believe that bringing in 4 stars (not 5 stars) actually is a reality if we recruit to our potential. We think it's possible because we see Xavier doing it, Marquette doing it and Villanova doing it, plus we have Brad Stevens and the afterglow of two recent and magical Final Four runs.

You call it "complaining," I call it having high expectations. Part of the challenge is that the previous classes contained too many misses, even for the Horizon and A-10 levels, so the bar for the 2013-2015 classes is very high. I agree the result of the 2013 class was a step in the right direction and the apparent shift in strategy for 2015 is good; however, I believe that the result of our 2013 class was in spite of our recruiting process (although reasonable minds could probably disagree with this).

The reality of the 2013 class, as I see it, is that we were very fortunate to bring in Castro to round out the class. He was literally the last reasonable option remaining at the point guard position. Brad spent a lot more time recruiting Demetrius Jackson than Kevin Johnson, Monte Morris, Kendrick Nunn, Wes Clark, Billy Garrett, Dayshon Smith, or Kyle Davis. These guys were off the board before we even began recruiting Castro in earnest, mostly because we put all our eggs in Tahj Shamsid-Deen's basket. Castro might end up better than most or all of those guys (and I actually prefer him to Shamsid-Deen), but that's not the point. The point is that had Castro not signed, the class would look a lot different, and that our recruiting process really boxed us into a corner. Combine this good fortune with landing Rotnei Clarke because of the fortuitous sanctions at Oklahoma, and my conclusion is that the process by which we've accumulated talent for the past few years, even though it's worked out to a degree, has left us with a razor thin margin for error. Odds are that you eventually miss on your flush draw. Hence, the "earlier, wider net" criticism.

Brad often points out that he doesn't care about the result so long as the the process is sound. Well, the result of our class of 2013 recruiting efforts ended up OK, but -- in my opinion -- the process was far from sound.

Now, carry this over to the class of 2014. The fact is we haven't signed anyone yet, and there is no guarantee we will land Trevon Bluiett. My process-based concerns about 2013 have carried over to 2014 given that we never recruited players like Jalen Adams, Edmond Sumner and Sam Logwood, and were late to they party on Tyler Ulis, Riley Norris, Lance Tejada and Devin Mitchell.

All of this being said, it's worth pointing out that these high expectations are the result of the masterful job Brad and his predecessors have done. That we can even have expectations of landing 4 stars is remarkable and a blessing.

Agree on all counts.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  16. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $356
    You could also look at it like 5 out of the last 32 Final 4 teams have been non-majors, which is around 15%. Not bad considering what it was before 2006.

17. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $356
    I don't think we immediately go in 2 years from Horizon League team to the same level as Marquette and Villanova. I think we can certainly get there, but it doesn't seem reasonable to me to flip a switch and all of a sudden have all of these 4 star kids interested in us. I remember Matthew Graves giving an interview and say it takes a year or 2 for the conference switch to have an impact on getting kids, given the time you have to put in with them before. I still think we saw a noticeable increase in reach and talent from the 2013 class to give me cautious optimism moving forward. I'm one of those that really doesn't care about the process, but is more concerned with the results. To be honest, I don't follow other schools recruiting practices to know what we are doing is considerably off the mark from others. I question some of our tactics too, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm really in touch with what other schools are doing. I'm not certain that many are.

I think we both want to get to the same place. I guess that I probably have lower expectations than some on how long it will take, which is a fair point and true.

18. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Good, fair points.

Back to Chrabascz, there are a lot of minutes up for grabs for him. If he can outplay Fromm, he'll get a lot of burn.

19. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6
    Whether it is a good line up or not, I would kind of like to see Chrabascz and Jones in 2014-2015 on the floor at the same time for maybe 5 or 10+ minutes a game. We all know how physical Jones is. Hell, he handled Zeller at times. I think Chrabascz will be a bruiser, too. It may not be pretty, but the "Hansen Brothers" during that 5 -10 minute stretch could possibly create havoc vs some teams' bigs. It may even be comical watching how frustrating the other bigs may get dealing with smaller, but stronger players.

How much can Chrabascz bench, anyone? I bet it is 250#'s.

20. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5